PDA

View Full Version : My experience installing Kubuntu? Total disaster!!!

edisav
June 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
[-X Tired of my old distro and lured by some reviews, I decided to install Kubuntu. Before installing, I looked all over the place for plain install instructions, not post-procedures or anything else, just the very basics but couldn't find anything at all!!!

So I ventured and eventually got to the partitioning, which I did well because of my previous knowledge. Upon finishing the install, I rebooted my PC and I got a terminal with a prompt. After logging on a the user that I created, I tried "startX" and "kde" for a gui but nothing. Then I tried loging on as root to troubleshoot it but couldn't figure out the password (most distros use "root" or a blank passwd.) Where do you guys post passwords?

I tried to shut it down but no, I had to be root. Due to my load of work and much disappointment and frustration, all I was able to do was hit the power-off button and reinstall my old distro.

So my question are:
- How the (K)ubunty community plan to succeed when they can't even give plain and basic instructions about installing the OS?
- Don't you think that a ******* user will feel totally intimidated when they confront these issues?

I'd hope that this community thinks a little on the basic elements first before portraying themselves as the "Linux for Humans" distro. You guys have a long way to go! If you don't like my point of view, respect it.

Man, what a waste of time playing with this distro.

kassetra
June 13th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I respect your opinion, but not the manner in which you presented it to this community. Obviously posting such a thread leads to non-productive posting.

I urge you to re-post your experience in a less hostile tone so that other people can benefit, help, or just talk things through with you.

Our goal is productive communication.