PDA

View Full Version : Quick forum question

daniels
November 12th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Sorry if this isn't the right place -- please move it to the right spot if it isn't. Is there any way to disable smileys (i.e. translation of colon close parenthesis to a small icon) globally? Either per default for my posts (I see a checkbox, but never remember to hit it), or for all the posts I'm viewing also? It's the first thing I disable in any IM client, and it's kind of annoying me about the forums at the moment.

Cheers.

mark
November 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place -- please move it to the right spot if it isn't. Is there any way to disable smileys (i.e. translation of colon close parenthesis to a small icon) globally? Either per default for my posts (I see a checkbox, but never remember to hit it), or for all the posts I'm viewing also? It's the first thing I disable in any IM client, and it's kind of annoying me about the forums at the moment.

Cheers.Daniel - don't know if this would work, but try unchecking Show images in the Thread Display Options - it looks like that ought to turn off all graphics. Or (this may be too simple), you could click on the "Smilies are ON" posting rule at the bottom of any page - but I don't know if that turns off "incoming" smilies...

Mark

faaip
November 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Is there any way to disable smileys (i.e. translation of colon close parenthesis to a small icon) globally? Either per default for my posts (I see a checkbox, but never remember to hit it), or for all the posts I'm viewing also? It's the first thing I disable in any IM client, and it's kind of annoying me about the forums at the moment.

If you use Firefox with the Adblock-Extension, you can simply block

http://ubuntuforums.com/*/smilies/*

This has the advantage that you don't see smilies even if you aren't logged in. Of course, you lose a bit of information this way...If you really hate smilies (like me) you can block */smilies/* to solve your problem in most forums. Did I say that Adblock is my favourite extension?

I don't know a easy way to disable smilies in this forum software, but maybe it's hidden somewhere in the options.