PDA

View Full Version : Rockbox?

Sunnz
April 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Is it like an alternative OS or the iPod?

Is there risk installing it? If it doesn't work out can you put back whatever was running on the iPod before?

Would it sync with RythmBox/Amork/whatever on Linux?

Would it sync with iTunes on Mac or Windows?

Thanks.

3rdalbum
April 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
From what I know, it fulfills the same functions as the iPod's own operating system (so it's not a full-featured OS like iPod Linux).

There is probably risk, but I'm sure if you do a "Restore" in iTunes everything will go back to normal. I believe you can also dual-boot Apple's firmware with Rockbox.

Alfa989
April 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
From what I know, it fulfills the same functions as the iPod's own operating system (so it's not a full-featured OS like iPod Linux).

There is probably risk, but I'm sure if you do a "Restore" in iTunes everything will go back to normal. I believe you can also dual-boot Apple's firmware with Rockbox.

I tried it in my nano a while ago and you can do whatever you want to the iPod and they you just restore it...
I haven't been able to do a dual-boot...

eXcentra
April 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
iirc, you can dualboot; you have to hold a combination of buttons when turning it on in order to popup the bootloader.

no, rockbox doesn't sync. it's drag and drop.

Sunnz
April 21st, 2007, 06:23 AM
So say if I already have a library of music in iTunes it isn't going to work well?

eXcentra
April 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
So say if I already have a library of music in iTunes it isn't going to work well?
No, apparently it won't since rockbox doesn't read the itunes database. But you can convert the iTunes database to a rockbox database (you won't be able to listen to itunes-purchased songs, though)
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodFAQ#How_do_I_access_music_that_I_hav

Previous: Reference to my dual-boot reply (http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodFAQ#How_to_start_the_original_Apple)

reacocard
April 23rd, 2007, 11:13 PM

It will, if you enable database mode. It won't play any DRMed files (ie. anything from itms), but it'll play any non-DRMed AAC or MP3 files just fine, and you can just use standard iPod transfer utilities with it then. Only catch is that use have to manually update the rockbox database every time you put new stuff on there, but that usually only takes a few seconds. You can also play things like FLAC or OGG that won't work on a normal iPod.

Sunnz
April 24th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Oh I don't know FLAC but OGG is gooooooOOOOOOOOOODnessssssss.

Unfortunately Rockbox isn't actually supported on my 2G Nano... :(:(:( I over looked it on the web site....

3rdalbum
April 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
If Ogg is gooooooOOOOOOOOOODnesssssss, then FLAC is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaatnesssssssss!

FLAC gives you lossless audio compression, so you can listen to archive-quality recordings on your Rockbox'ed device and it won't take anywhere near as much space as uncompressed WAVs or AIFFs.

reacocard
April 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Oh I don't know FLAC but OGG is gooooooOOOOOOOOOODnessssssss.

Unfortunately Rockbox isn't actually supported on my 2G Nano... :(:(:( I over looked it on the web site....

That's too bad. I'm sure if you wait awhile they'll come out with a version for the 2G nano though.

FLAC is the lossless counterpart to OGG. Very nice, but with a Nano you probably want OGG instead, since FLAC takes four or five times as much space.

Sunnz
April 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Well not that bad for loss-less!!! Hmmm I think Apple Loss-less is about 20 meg for 3 minutes, how do they compare?

reacocard
April 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Well not that bad for loss-less!!! Hmmm I think Apple Loss-less is about 20 meg for 3 minutes, how do they compare?
It varies a bit, but about 17-18 megs for 3 minutes seems the average. One compressed down to a mere 12. :shock: