PDA

View Full Version : plug n play?

vega44
June 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
why can you plug somthing in windows any time you want and it will work but you can't do this in linux? why? you have to reboot or somthing

gil-galad
June 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Huh? What are you trying to plug in? Linux has "plug n play" for almost everything.

GTKpower
June 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Linux does indeed support plug 'n play. At least ubuntu does. Gnome Volume Manager, I believe . . . .

Perhaps your *particular* hardware isn't quite generic enough. Webcams, for instance, seem to not work so well under Linux.

az
June 12th, 2005, 09:34 PM
why can you plug somthing in windows any time you want and it will work but you can't do this in linux? why? you have to reboot or somthing

Manufacturers work with the Microsoft Conpany to make the drivers work. For the most part, they do not do so for linux. They are generally not keen on open sourcing drivers and such. Presumably, they are afraid of how that could harm their business.

When you think of it, it is impressive what the open source community has accomplished without manufacturer support.

Projects like Gnome 10x10 (ten percent of the market by 2001) will bring up the profile of open source and help manufacturers better support linux.

Does that answer your question?

Takis
June 13th, 2005, 03:28 AM
On topic, though, I have a Canon A85 camera, that ships with a CD full of drivers for Windows. After a very lengthy install (that needed a reboot!) that leaves all kinds of crazy things in Explorer, I finally had the camera working.
With Linux I plugged it in and started browsing my photos.

Can you please give specific details of what you're having problems with (what device, what model, what you do and what Linux says)? We can help you then.

poofyhairguy
June 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Ok. You can criticize Linux of many things. But needing to reboot less than Windows? AMAZING! Windows wants to reboot if I install a chess program for cripes sake!

Funny post mr. sarcasm.

Slavus
May 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM
heres a specific, My USB mice dont work

I have an old dell optical

and a newer microsoft optical- both plug and play in windows, but Breezy seems to have trouble getting it.

"device descriptor read/64 error -110" if that means anything

ssam
May 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
i think you have found a rare case for mice. can you test it with the dapper beta live cd? if it still does not work file a bug at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs