PDA

View Full Version : Xscreensaver developer quits

desdinova
June 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
JWZ has given up on Linux and moved to Mac OS X - time for someone else to pick up on XScreenSaver I guess.

http://jwz.livejournal.com/

Njall
June 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
It is WHY he did this which is telling... he had, like virtually all of us, so darned much trouble with sound under Linux. He finally gave up. It is a comment on getting reasonable and rational sound to work in Linux more than anything else IMHO.

desdinova
June 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM
It is WHY he did this which is telling... he had, like virtually all of us, so darned much trouble with sound under Linux. He finally gave up. It is a comment on getting reasonable and rational sound to work in Linux more than anything else IMHO.
And why we need more developers not less. Strangely enough (for me anyway) sound has always been the least of my worries. I just use PCI Creative Labs cards - I have no need for anything too fussy or fancy

RastaMahata
June 12th, 2005, 09:07 PM
And why we need more developers not less. Strangely enough (for me anyway) sound has always been the least of my worries. I just use PCI Creative Labs cards - I have no need for anything too fussy or fancy
nforce2 onboard audio is a pain in the ass to set up. I had to go through 10+ forums searching for something, until I found a configuration script that would let me use my nforce2 card nice and tight. Besides from installing that asound.rc file, I had to install/remove some other packages.... :(

GTKpower
June 12th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Hmmmm.

Everything works fine under Ubuntu. Installed it, it recognized everything, all the defaults were fine, and I was off to work on reports and e-mails.

I don't understand why everyone is acting all handicapped when using Linux. Most of the big distros out there function perfectly fine on most hardware.

My only complaint about Linux in general is poor (or nonexistent) support for broad-based multimedia.

Can't do a whole lot of video-editing either, I think.

Oh well. It'll come.

gil-galad
June 13th, 2005, 12:16 AM
He should have just gotten a sound blaster live and used alsa. Everything works fine then. You may have limited choices in hardware if you want everything to work perfect, but then so do macs.

RastaMahata
June 13th, 2005, 12:48 AM
You cant change a piece of hardware because you OS wont work with it.. It's just not right. :(

desdinova
June 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM
You cant change a piece of hardware because you OS wont work with it.. It's just not right. :(
Agreed - but we all know we choose to limit ourselves when we use Linux - we don't have the eyes of the hardware manufacturers just yet.... I think things are going to get a lot better and I don't see Apple moving onto x86 as a threat - Apple have already said it (OS X) will not run on non-Apple badged pc's

gil-galad
June 13th, 2005, 01:13 AM
But his sound card won't work on his mac either, so how is OS X any better? I consider buying a 2000+ dollar computer, "changing a piece a hardware". I think he could have afforded a 40$ sound card.

I agree that software mixing in linux is a problem. And users switching from windows to linux will want their hardware to work. But this guy has been running linux for years. That is not a good enough excuse to buy a mac. I assume he had other reasons.

RastaMahata
June 13th, 2005, 04:09 AM
But his sound card won't work on his mac either, so how is OS X any better? I consider buying a 2000+ dollar computer, "changing a piece a hardware". I think he could have afforded a 40$ sound card.

I agree that software mixing in linux is a problem. And users switching from windows to linux will want their hardware to work. But this guy has been running linux for years. That is not a good enough excuse to buy a mac. I assume he had other reasons.
the sound card not working in the mac thing is not a problem. You just dont need another sound card. The mac has its own hardware, and it works good out of the box. :P

But yeah, the guy has worked with linux for years (many, if he was when netscape was first developed for unix)... Maybe he said "enough BS, I'm old and stuff..."... and bought a Mac. :S