PDA

View Full Version : Would you build a computer free of charge for someone less fortunate?

plb
April 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Just curious as how many would actually consider this. The idea is simple, refurbish old computers either thrown out or donated, install Ubuntu on them, and give them to someone who cannot afford to buy one. Not only is this a good gesture but it also helps to spread Ubuntu. Would you do it?

See also this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411040

jgrabham
April 17th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, why not. Messing around with computers is a hobby, why not help people while I'm at it!

zoetrope666
April 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I've already done it.. a few times! :P

karellen
April 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
for someone less fortunate, of course :)

Bezmotivnik
April 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Just curious as how many would actually consider this. The idea is simple, refurbish old computers either thrown out or donated, install Ubuntu on them, and give them to someone who cannot afford to buy one. Not only is this a good gesture but it also helps to spread Ubuntu. Would you do it?
As usual, this is a different question in several important aspects than the one in the "poll." :rolleyes:

aysiu
April 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I can't build a computer physically from parts, but I can install and configure Ubuntu on an old computer.

rai4shu2
April 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't even mind doing it for someone equally fortunate, provided someone else does the paperwork involved.

kerry_s
April 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I do it all the time. Most of my friends pass there old computers to me and i pass them to people who need a computer. I help people with there computer problems for free when ever they need help. I will usually build a decent system using all the computers i've been given. There are 10 kids here in my neighborhood who are running systems i gave them and more else where. If they want a windows system i have them purchase there own windows disk, other wise they use linux, the distribution varies, i run them through live cd's and they select what they want. We also keep a computer room for the kids, it has 4 computers that we allow the kids to use, should they need to.

jimrz
April 18th, 2007, 02:19 AM
have done many times, mostly just take older boxes that I got a little or no cost and refurbished to good working order did a clean os install and off they go. sure beats seeing them go unused while there are plenty of folks that they could help. just finished one a week or so ago and sent it on to it's new home, and have one more that really needs some tlc + a few bits and pieces to get back to useful that i should have going again before too long.

Quillz
April 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Considering I help others out with computer issues all the time, of course I would. And if the person wanted to make a small donation, then I'd accept that, too.

Detonate
April 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I collect old computers and fix them up and give them to people. I use Ubuntu because I can't afford to purchase windows for them and they can't afford it. I also can't afford the hardware necessary to make them really functional, so I end up combining stuff from more than one computer to get something usable. Especially memory. So if anyone is throwing away something that might have some PC100 or PC133 in it I grab it quick. I also salvage the floppy and CD drives and hard drives. Good monitors are hard to come by. But sometimes I get lucky at the Thrift Store.

blackened
April 18th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Anytime I know someone that has an unused (working or unworking) machine, I offer to take it off their hands and put it back into working condition. I know alot of people that can't afford, but need, a computer in their family, so it all works out.

Compucore
April 18th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Or if you are working at a place that is looking to get rid of them and take them out of the offices where they are loacte sure why not. I know I have at my current place. 2 servers and two laptops. THe second laptop was not in great condition to be revived but the parts that I was able to salvage from it is good for my current one or for possible other ones. I try always to recoup and rebuild over the years as well. When I know someone needs one and I know that this would fit them even with ubuntu linux. I give it to them. Plus also help them out if they are unfamiliar with it. With some free training as well. so they can work with it. Some of them look at it and take to water withlinux. realizing that it works very well for them. The only time that I won't give them a computer would be a server type. Since it would be kind of an over kill on that. Especially the rack mounted ones. Too bulky to place properly on a desktop or as a tower configuration.

Compucore

RAV TUX
April 18th, 2007, 04:31 AM

See also this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411040

As stated in the thread before, I have actively been doing this for a while, I suggest if you really want to do this, just do it!

Join your NewYork Ubuntu LoCo team, and put it into action....

If you need help contact your Ubuntu regional LoCo Team: the NU Ubuntu Team, there are many here who can and will help you, put your longing into reality....

Join up at the LoCo team forums and we can show you what we have been doing...

We have put the spirit of ubuntu as a philosophical principle into action,....so can you....let us know if you need help or further inspiration:)

Cheers

Iandefor
April 18th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Stock Ubuntu on a refurbished/old computer? I wonder how smart that is. Firefox and OO.o are pretty resource-hungry. What about Xubuntu with GNOME-Office and Epiphany installed?

Phatfiddler
April 18th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Sounds fine in theory, but I already get enough questions concerning computers that I didn't make. I don't want to imagine the late night calls and constant questions concerning configurations and walkthroughs after giving away PCs to people. Sure, its a good cause, but I have a life too and 24/7 free tech support isn't on the agenda.

drew1313
April 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM
When My bother, Who lives with me as he was born with brain damage and cannot live alone, showed in interest in computers one day as he watched me using GAIM to IM a friend of mine gave me the idea of getting an old PC and putting it in his room and see what happens. A co-worker of mine gave me an old Dell PIII W/ 12g megs of ram and a broken monitor. I put Xubuntu on it, added an Ethernet card, and gave it (and a working monitor) to him and hooked it to my network, and the Internet. He had a hard time at first as he has poor motor control, but after adjusting the mouse settings, he has been doing well with it. Now, a whole new world is open to him and he is an ardent Ubuntu fan! How many more people like him can I turn on to computers, the Internet, and Ubuntu.

Xzallion
April 18th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I do it for friends and aquantainces when I have the parts to do it. I have built over three computers for one of my buddies to keep him going in college, it has failed multiple times due to hardware failure, and I keep that frankenstein running with ubuntu, and running better then it ever did with windows 98. I also offer to install and get people started on Ubuntu.

Fascination
April 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I must confess I would base my choice on what the person was like (the one the pc would be going to). If they seemed a genuinely nice person, and someone who would really appreciate it and use it to help improve their own life in some way then yes, I would. If however they were your typical, unemployed lout whos just out to get a free PC then I would refuse. :)