PDA

View Full Version : What are big companies names or organizations that migrated to Ubuntu, Kubuntu etc.

abcuser
April 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hi,
what are the biggest organizations and companies that uses Ubuntu, Kubuntu and any other version of Ubuntu into desktop environment?

There is France Parliament (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/814) planing to migrate to Kubuntu.

Any other?
Thanks,
Abcuser

ceil420
April 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Microsoft.

(It's a secret though, so let's just keep this between you and me ;))

Seriously, I wish I knew x:

energiya
April 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Usualy, the big players have their own flavour. The smaller companyes I know about use Slackware or RedHat (and 1 CentOS).

abcuser
April 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hi,
in the following article: http://www.seopher.com/articles/another_lost_year_for_linux_i_think_not there are some companies, but none of them migrated to Ubuntu. So I am serious. Who are big companies or organizations to use Ubuntu?
Thanks

Wight_Rhino
April 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ouch.

I think if anyone from Canonical is reading this I think you may have hit a nerve.

urukrama
April 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Doesn't Google run (a modified) Ubuntu on their machines?

bonzodog
April 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Thats the thing you see, we don't really get told if any one company adopts Ubuntu, canonical don't let this information out freely.

I know for a fact that Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology is all Ubuntu, thats due to a couple of friends of mine.

energiya
April 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Doesn't Google run (a modified) Ubuntu on their machines?

Yes, I read that too. It is another flavour, and as i reacall, it's an "closed dores" project.

viper
April 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
My Company, we might not be big..................yet:)

dca
April 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
In the US, mostly RHEL... They buy one or two licenses for support (for twenty+ servers) and navigate all their servers outside/in the RHN for updates... I honestly would've thought more enterprises would adopt or migrate to CentOS because of more and more large corps having in-house Linux geeks available.

karellen
April 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I heard about Goobuntu, Google's modified version of Ubuntu

abcuser
April 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Thats the thing you see, we don't really get told if any one company adopts Ubuntu, canonical don't let this information out freely.I don't see any reason why should be an interest of Linux distribution like Ubuntu, to hide who adopt the system. Hiding is just like someone would make a crime. But if some big company like IBM for example would adopt Ubuntu on desktop, there I see very much a benefit. You know: if IBM can run Linux, why we couldn't?

But if there is some kind of Google-Ubuntu version it is most probably be solution that explores Google on-line services. Why would Google put Open Office in distribution if Google has "Docs & Spreadsheets". I believe Google will make some kind of solution maybe just Linux to have access to Google web-services. Firefox has stated, that version 3.0 will have enabled all on-line services. So opening the Word or Excell file from web browser could be opened by Google Doc & Spreadsheets.

But I think it would be very good publicity if Google adopts Ubuntu.

dca
April 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Well, it's all about the enterprise. The superior desktop distro they (Canonical) created in Ububtu is great for overall exposure. Worldwide they're #1 on the desktop but who cares. How much money have they gained as an organization according to their business model (which is similar to Novell & Redhat except Canonical doesn't vary from from toy distros a' la Fedora/openSuse and enterprise edition a'la SLED) on the desktop side? Nothing we d/l the heck out of it for nothing. Bad thing is we get all the support we need on the forum not by signing a support agreement. I honestly hope this pays off for the space cadet (Shuttleworth) because he truly created a superior product...

...on that note, I can't thing of any organization adopting Ubuntu on the server side let alone the desktops for the French parliament and the Germans side-stepping SLED for Ubuntu6.06 (probably because of support cost savings)...

Steveway
April 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yep, Google uses Ubuntu.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060131-6087.html
But it is not likely that they release their version to the public.

Extreme Coder
April 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
This topic made me worry that someday Canonical/Mark Shuttleworth will have no more money to fund Ubuntu and may close it down. Are they gaining enough money from the server/enterprise side? Somebody PROVE me wrong! :P

Extreme Coder

earobinson
April 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I think its mostly schools and govs to be honnest

mssever
April 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I think its mostly schools and govs to be honnest

If enough schools and governments use Linux/Ubuntu, the business case for using it will be stronger. Remember, companies generally don't care about anything other than the bottom line, and being the only one using a particular platform is expensive.

abcuser
May 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, back to this topic after 3 weeks...

In article
Ubuntu Linux: To the server side and beyond? (http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1251013,00.html) there are 3 more institutions that uses Ubuntu Server software:
in the past year, Toshiba, PalmSource and the Harvard Medical School have all started using Ubuntu on the server