PDA

View Full Version : if I really want to start learning alot @ Linux and computers where should I start??

billdotson
April 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Well I have recently (~6 months) became pretty interested w/ computers. I have always liked them and liked doing stuff w/ them and ~6 months ago I built my first PC. I liked it and it was a good experience but I didn't really get into wanting to learn more stuff until I started w/ Ubuntu. I start my classes for my major (CS) in 2 years and I was wondering what I should learn that is either Linux or just computer-related in general to start off with.

I know a little bit of stuff here and there like how to make a REALLY simple bash script and some other things but I would consider myself a noob when it comes to real technical knowledge.

tbroderick
April 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I say continue with bash and learn how to use sed & awk.

jfinkels
April 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Well I have recently (~6 months) became pretty interested w/ computers. I have always liked them and liked doing stuff w/ them and ~6 months ago I built my first PC. I liked it and it was a good experience but I didn't really get into wanting to learn more stuff until I started w/ Ubuntu. I start my classes for my major (CS) in 2 years and I was wondering what I should learn that is either Linux or just computer-related in general to start off with.

I know a little bit of stuff here and there like how to make a REALLY simple bash script and some other things but I would consider myself a noob when it comes to real technical knowledge.

Well, you built a computer and are using Linux, you're way ahead of most of us (the royal "us")!

Learn to program in C!

Spr0k3t
April 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
In your quest to discover more knowledge, make sure you study the past as well. You can learn quite a bit from the happenings of the beginnings of Unix in general. Also, I'd recommend learning some form of object oriented programming language. If you go with a higher level programming language such as Java or the like, pick apart the built in functions and see what you can create yourself. You'll find the universe of computer knowledge is no larger than the head of a pin.