PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu version 7.04 - Feisty Fawn - 4/19/2007

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

CarlosinFL
April 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I tried searching on here but could not find anything and there is no set calender of anything of that nature so I decided to just ask here in the water cooler area if anyone is expecting the 7.04 release this TH or is there a estimated date this new release will launch or be final? I understand that nobody can be 100% sure until the thing is released however I would assume there is a estimated release date.

Thanks all and if this is already been covered, feel free to close and PM me so I can find the info.

- Carlos

PartisanEntity
April 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
As far as I have read here on the forum it is to be released this Thursday, 19th.

CarlosinFL
April 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
OK - That seems to be the only data I found via a Google search. I hope they offer the alternative CD that day as I need to install with RAID 5 or 6 which so far has only been available on the "Alternative CD's" unless they now have just built that into the regular .ISO.

Rui Pais
April 16th, 2007, 09:20 PM
after a rc been deleted due to a serious bug found on kernel but the issue end up solved very fast, seems that the release date got back to the original 19th April.

check main page for Ubuntu... it's got a countdown now. :)

prizrak
April 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I think the alternative CD's are posted same time as the lives.

daynah
April 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Oh my goodness! Now you have a BIG HUGE ORANGE reminder.

ubuntu-geek
April 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Latest Ubuntu delivers on the promise of Open Source

While millions consider whether to pay for Vista, the Ubuntu project releases its secure, high performance, free desktop and server editions.

LONDON, April 16, 2007 – For users wanting a secure, feature rich alternative to Microsoft Windows, Canonical Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, announced today the Thursday release of Ubuntu version 7.04.
Ubuntu is the award-winning Linux distribution for the desktop (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntudesktop704), laptop, thin client and server (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntuserver704) which brings together the best of open source software every 6 months. Ubuntu 7.04 desktop edition includes a ground-breaking Windows migration assistant, excellent wireless networking support and improved multimedia support.
Ubuntu 7.04 server edition (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntuserver704) adds support for hardware facilities that speed up the use of virtual machines as well as other improved hardware support, making it an excellent choice as a web, database, file and print server, the fastest growing area of Linux server use. Ubuntu's already outstanding support for thin clients is boosted with advanced print and sound support.
"In the coming months, many individuals and businesses will be making the decision to upgrade their existing computer systems and their operating systems," said Jane Silber, director of Operations, Canonical Ltd. "With added features to both the desktop and server editions, Ubuntu 7.04 is the most user-friendly version to date and is ideally suited to anyone who wants to make the switch to Linux and join the community of Ubuntu users. In fact, with this version of Ubuntu, it is easier than ever to move away from proprietary platforms."
At the same time as Ubuntu, the project also will release new versions of Kubuntu and Edubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntuflavours704), specialized versions of Ubuntu which include the KDE desktop environment and educational applications, respectively.
Ubuntu Fully Supported

Used by businesses, home users, schools and governments around the world, upgrades to new releases will always be free of charge. Ubuntu 7.04 will be maintained for 18 months on both the desktop and on the server, and additional free support is available from the thriving Ubuntu community. For deployments which require additional service guarantees, full telephone and online support is commercially available globally from the professional support team at Canonical Ltd and service partners.

About Canonical and Ubuntu

Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, is headquartered in Europe and is committed to the development, distribution and support of open source software products and communities. World-class 24x7 commercial support for Ubuntu is available through Canonical's global support team and partners. Since its launch in October 2004 Ubuntu has become one of the most highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users around the world. Ubuntu will always be free to download, free to use and free to distribute to others. With these goals in mind, Ubuntu aims to be the most widely used Linux system, and is the centre of a global open source software ecosystem.
Download Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com/download (http://www.ubuntu.com/download). To learn about commercial support for Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu, please see www.canonical.com/support (http://www.canonical.com/support). For more information visit www.canonical.com (http://www.canonical.com/) or www.ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com/).
###
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu and their associated logos are all registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.
Bill Baker, Baker Communications Group, 860-350-9100, pr@canonical.com

CarlosinFL
April 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks all!

wfox
April 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
and what about shipit? is 7.04 for Xubuntu?

sorry for my english.

earobinson
April 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I dont think Xubuntu is included, you can always install ubuntu then do a
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

kingy89
April 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Xubuntu and Edubuntu 7.04 are coming out on thursday too i believe.

Nolander
April 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM
and what about shipit? is 7.04 for Xubuntu?

finally. im sssssssssssssso happy thay decided to do that.

:D Smiles Nolander

andrewabc
April 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Where is official RC?
All I can find is the April 15 daily... When will it be official that April 15 daily is the RC? I don't want to download the wrong RC to test out.
I say this because I only want Live cd RC, I wont be installing ubuntu, so I won't be getting updates to make sure I have proper RC.
Maybe put a link to the official RC downloads in first post?

I'll be downloading 7.04 final when it is released also... just want to test out official RC now.

kpkeerthi
April 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
There will be *ubuntu on April 19th

Azathoth_
April 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Where is official RC?
All I can find is the April 15 daily... When will it be official that April 15 daily is the RC? I don't want to download the wrong RC to test out.
I say this because I only want Live cd RC, I wont be installing ubuntu, so I won't be getting updates to make sure I have proper RC.
Maybe put a link to the official RC downloads in first post?

I'll be downloading 7.04 final when it is released also... just want to test out official RC now.

There is NO RC, and this new is Official... we will have it on Thursday :D :D :D

rivethead
April 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I cant wait to check it out, i was very impressed with Dapper to Edgy.

onlybui
April 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Wonder if the upgrade will work flawlessly...

lionel47
April 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I am excited about the Feisty release. I reinstalled Ubuntu a couple of weeks ago after about 18 months of not playing with Linux and was really impressed. So far, I have been using Edgy as my primary desktop. Unfortunately, because of M$'s refusal to use open document formats, I have to reboot into ******* to write documents and presentations. No matter what anyone says OO.Org and AbiWord just don't translate M$ Word and PowerPoint presentations correctly.

Having said that, has anyone had any success with Windows on a virtual machine?

Old Pink
April 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyReleaseSchedule (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyReleaseSchedule)

- Constantly updated

palmerthegeek
April 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Todo for Thrusday: April 19,

Get my extra hot, skim venti full of ubuntu Feisty Fawn!

Then drink deeply.....

cody50
April 17th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I think this excitement from everyone is a great thing for the community. New software should be fun! Ubuntu and Linux in general are heading in a great direction. Everyone who is using bitTorrent make sure you Seed so everyone can get their copy.

BarfBag
April 17th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the beta. The one click installation of the nVidia driver was cool, but the warning messages were annoying. Also, for some reason, it kept disconnecting and reconnecting my internet. I ran into a bunch of other bugs as well (which I reported). I'm going to try this out anyway. I hope they cleared these things up.

cstudent
April 17th, 2007, 01:29 AM
April 19th is my birthday. So this is a little b-day present to myself. But like most of my presents, I got it early. I've been running Feisty on my laptop and main desktop since the Alpha release. :D

stmiller
April 17th, 2007, 01:32 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the beta. The one click installation of the nVidia driver was cool, but the warning messages were annoying. Also, for some reason, it kept disconnecting and reconnecting my internet. I ran into a bunch of other bugs as well (which I reported). I'm going to try this out anyway. I hope they cleared these things up.

The network manager bug was the reason for the recent delay. But that will be fixed for the final.

detyabozhye
April 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Yeah, VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org) is really nice and was easier for me to set up than VMWare or any other I've tried.

volksolwagen57
April 17th, 2007, 03:04 AM
yeah, i'm glad the network manager bug has been fixed. it's been that thing that i never wanted to touch because it is so...mysterious. i just know that the update will go flawlessly. awesome job, guys. i love ya, you know, like a brother or something.

currentshades
April 17th, 2007, 03:06 AM
This is wonderful news! I've been using the beta and am truly content with this solid distro! I started with 6.06 and have followed Ubuntu since then (of course, with some frustrations along the way). Anyways, I just want to express some appreciation to the people putting in the hard work of testing, coding, and of course, to the incredible help from all of you here! More people need to at least try this, so I'm always putting in good words to get others to try Ubuntu or at least Linux in general! ^_^

darkhatter
April 17th, 2007, 03:09 AM
:( I hate ubuntu releases, every single linux web site goes down :lolflag:

TrailerTrash
April 17th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Im running Linux Mint and done a upgrade to Feisty and all went smooth. Everything works. :D This OS rocks!

Jason Weiss
April 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Im running Linux Mint and done a upgrade to Feisty and all went smooth. Everything works. :D This OS rocks!

I was just about to ask this question.

So I am glad i am not the only one lazy enough to run mint :)

ebozzz
April 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM

I don't know about flawlessly. I have Feisty on all of my desktops already. One of them broke and I had to do a re-install. Two of them have an issue with the search magnifying glass appearing on the panel once they boot to the desktop. Not a big issue but I prefer that it didn't happen. One is just fine or so it seems. The last was a clean install that has been fine.

On the ones that I had problems I used the command

gksu "update-manager -c -d".

You can also run

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

So, beware if you have important files that cannot be lost. I had everything that I needed backed up.

trav5
April 17th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hi all! I've only been using ubuntu since the day after edgy was released and am using the beta right now. This will be my first upgrade:D Will the updates bring me up to the final release or will I have to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade? I am just asking out of curiosity because right now I am using 2.6.20-12-generic
because 14 & 15 wont boot. I would like to try the update if possible but feel a fresh install coming. So far I like feisty:guitar:

ebozzz
April 17th, 2007, 05:30 AM
If I had to do all over again, I would probably just do fresh installs. And, if I am not mistaken if you run the dist-upgrade command nothing will happen if you are already at the most recent version.

trav5
April 17th, 2007, 05:33 AM
So on Thur there will be updates to bring me up to the final release with the latest kernal?

ebozzz
April 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I would assume so but on that I am not certain. Maybe someone else can answer that question. I do know that initially the updates were coming quite frequently and in quantity. Things have slowed as of late. That leads me to believe that we will get a notification that will allow us to upgrade if needed or you can upgrade using the terminal. Again, hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer.

vitalik
April 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I have upgraded to beta, and everything went smooth, after that just doing updates.

vitalik
April 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM
So on Thur there will be updates to bring me up to the final release with the latest kernal?

Yes updates will bring you to final version, no need to reinstall.

msak007
April 17th, 2007, 08:25 AM
The network manager bug was the reason for the recent delay. But that will be fixed for the final.
It was also delayed due to a bug with certain PATA chipsets:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-April/000279.html

Either way I'm glad both of those were fixed and the release wasn't delayed. Everybody make sure to seed Kubuntu ISOs :).

xopher
April 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM
/me :loves: Feisty

Thanks dev-team! Working great!

..now just to figure out why my fuseiso doesn't mount some .iso-files and some .mdf's..

kikapu
April 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hi,

as i am new to this, i have installed ubuntu 6.10 and some applications of my interest (programming stuff).
I had a hard time to install all these, mainly because i am new to Linux and my knowledge is limited.

Folks here talks about "upgrade" to 7.04. You actually mean that i will go to the "Check for Updates" menu choice (if i remember correctly)
and my system will be upgraded to new OS version without loosing programs, setting and all these ??

nsleiman
April 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Well i have same issue, i have installed and configured lots of things, is there any risk that if i uprade the distro some settings will get lost? and again, if i just select all upgrades possible, does this perform a real upgrade also ? will my kubuntu run faster?

kornhead127
April 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper was released and I love it. I'll never go back to wind0ze.

Now, one question that I'm not all clear on. I've been running the Feisty beta, but on thursday will I be able to download the alternate CD and do the upgrades or wil I think I have the latest version? :confused: I don't have internet so my only source of upgrades are these alternate cd's which are great and I haven't seen another distro with the option. Ubuntu rocks! :guitar:

doctorj
April 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I am new to these things having just installed Ubuntu 6.10. Is there any way to gain the benefit from the new release, or do we have to reinstall over again?

silverpig
April 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I am new to these things having just installed Ubuntu 6.10. Is there any way to gain the benefit from the new release, or do we have to reinstall over again?

You will be able to upgrade using the update manager.

CornMaster
April 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Hi,

as i am new to this, i have installed ubuntu 6.10 and some applications of my interest (programming stuff).
I had a hard time to install all these, mainly because i am new to Linux and my knowledge is limited.

If you have everything working, and you look at the new feature list, and nothing tickles your fancy, then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I've been running 6.06 on two computers since it came out. One has a whole pile of custom apps and servers running so I'm not going to risk updating that one until I know it will work. And then I'll probably do a new install anyway, to clear out the old kernel drivers and stuff.

The other desktop, I'm going to erase and do a fresh install on. Since I have most things on a separate home partition, I won't lose my files, or my settings for my programs.

That is just my two cents anyway.

kikapu
April 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
If you have everything working, and you look at the new feature list, and nothing tickles your fancy, then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I've been running 6.06 on two computers since it came out. One has a whole pile of custom apps and servers running so I'm not going to risk updating that one until I know it will work. And then I'll probably do a new install anyway, to clear out the old kernel drivers and stuff.

The other desktop, I'm going to erase and do a fresh install on. Since I have most things on a separate home partition, I won't lose my files, or my settings for my programs.

That is just my two cents anyway.

Thanks! I will see first the update list and since it is possible to do it, i will do it from there. Although, i have kept notes about installing some stuff i really want (Eclipse, Python, Qt etc) so if i am forced (for whatever reason) to do a clean install, then i have something to help me to re-install...

koshatnik
April 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Anyone know what the status of Ralink 2500 wireless drivers are like in Feisty. Wouldn't play ball at all with the Herd 5 cd i tried. Any improvements?

saxsux
April 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Just wondering, when will Fiesty be supported until?
Will there eventually be another LTS release, once Dapper becomes unsupported in 2009?

rich.bradshaw
April 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
My Ralink 2500 works "out of the box" on a fully updated feisty install.

blazercist
April 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Anyone know what the status of Ralink 2500 wireless drivers are like in Feisty. Wouldn't play ball at all with the Herd 5 cd i tried. Any improvements?

For some it works, I have heard the gammat on the rt2X00 cards. I have an RT61 myself, but I can't even test it because I can't boot unless I uninstall network-manager, I have yet to test it manually.

kpkeerthi
April 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM

... for 18 months from the date of release...

msak007
April 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Will there eventually be another LTS release, once Dapper becomes unsupported in 2009?
Mark Shuttleworth himself said Gutsy (7.10) won't be LTS, but gave no indication as to which version would be. But according to an interview with Jonathan Riddell (http://www.kubuntu-de.org/interview-mit-riddell-zu-kde4-englisch) (Kubuntu lead dev) when asked about whether KDE 4.0 would be the default DE for Kubuntu 7.10 (as KDE4 is scheduled for release in October as well), he hinted that it would neither be the default for 7.10 (as it would probably not be stable enough), nor would it be the default for 8.04 because that would most likely be the next LTS. That's the only info I've been able to find regarding which version will be the next LTS, but that seems very likely.

use a name
April 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
As far as I have read here on the forum it is to be released this Thursday, 19th.

Oh, I'm soooo bad. I'm gonna get Vista the 19th... MUHAHAHAHA!

Ok, I can get it for free from my University and I'll be there the 19th. I just want to try it myself.

djamu
April 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
i just know that the update will go flawlessly. awesome job, guys. i love ya, you know, like a brother or something.

Yeah right, the damn thing (beta that should be alpha) killed my Raid5 array writing new UUID's on half of them on boot ( didn't write a single byte on it ).
Support (?), guess that company policy restricts free support to questions regarding the location of your power button & alike. The silence is deafening. I think they should get rid of their bugs before integrating new ones.... all my recent links
Edgy> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=394744
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408350
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405782
Feisty> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410136

But as a desktop ( & ordinary partitioned disks ) I can understand the hype of having new easy to understand eyecandy....

If you have everything working, and you look at the new feature list, and nothing tickles your fancy, then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I've been running 6.06 on two computers since it came out. One has a whole pile of custom apps and servers running so I'm not going to risk updating that one until I know it will work. And then I'll probably do a new install anyway, to clear out the old kernel drivers and stuff.............

and if anyone asks for the reason there's an LTS version..... I'm seriously considering upgrading > Debian for my servers...

forrestcupp
April 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Oh, I'm soooo bad. I'm gonna get Vista the 19th... MUHAHAHAHA!

Ok, I can get it for free from my University and I'll be there the 19th. I just want to try it myself.

ha, ha. I got a Vista upgrade for free, and that piece of dung is what drove me back to Linux. It was an extreme disappointment.

use a name
April 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM
ha, ha. I got a Vista upgrade for free, and that piece of dung is what drove me back to Linux. It was an extreme disappointment.

Yeah, I do not expect too much from it. Anyway, I'm not considering using it seriously. I think it's fun to see how Vista drives people (back) to linux. :)

bradweiser
April 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know what time Feisty will be available on the 19th? :D

lionel47
April 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
As far as I understand it, the version that is out now is really the finished product. I did an online upgrade to my laptop last night and I expected everything to break. However, it went flawlessly even though it took about an hour and a half. I am working on that laptop today and everything is fine. By the way, I couldn't find any Click_N_Run (CNR) stuff on my upgraded laptop. Anyone know about this?

rai4shu2
April 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
CNR isn't available yet. See http://www.cnr.com/

kahrytan
April 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I hope everyone doesn't rush to download FINAL of Feisty Fawn from Canonical. I bet Canonical and partners are working hard to strengthen the servers to handle the extra traffic. It will be like when /. posts a new article on new Tech news. It doesn't take much to crash a server.

I, for one, will be using Bittorrent for my ISO.

bradweiser
April 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Downloading Feisty via bit torrent will defintely be the way to go. With how popular Feisty has become there should be a lot of seeders.

More seeders = faster download times = :D

Wikzo
April 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I can't wait ... :D
I wonder about my graphics card, Geforce 6800, will be better suported (can't se my mouse couser in live mode) and about my Acer network card will work too.

Anyone want to make a list over (good) download torrents when it is released?

billdotson
April 17th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Feisty.. sweet. Only two more days..! I wonder how much more will be supported..
Actually what I am realling looking forawrd to is Ubuntu Media OS (or something like that). It is Feisty but has all the best multimedia stuff included.

Zyphrexi
April 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I've always just dist-upgraded... only time I did a clean install was when the drive that had breezy died. Then I just installed breezy and updated to dapper... while it was testing.

The computer i'm using right now has been my main computer and I have ALWAYS had the experimental testing version on it.

/me tested breezy

vradovic
April 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
u order cd from ubuntu website and there is information they allready ship it to me???

14.04.2007 3 CD

but how if is not finish yet?

neilius
April 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM

Just wanted to chime in with concerns about this as well, using an Asus WL-107G PCMCIA card, which runs perfectly in Edgy but didn't work with the Feisty beta.

Looking forward to Edgy, kudos to the developers! Now it's time to sit back and wait... :popcorn:

Regards,

Neil.

Floppyjoe
April 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since 5.10 and am very impressed with the product and all the work that has gone into it. Great Job People!

bimmerd00d
April 18th, 2007, 02:38 AM
website says tomorrow is the release! Awesome, it's coming early now?

ardchoille42
April 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since Warty was released - switched from Fedora Core. This has been the most rock-solid and problem-free Linux distribution I have ever seen. I am looking forward to Feisty. This distro ROCKS!

sarge84
April 18th, 2007, 03:32 AM
website says tomorrow is the release! Awesome, it's coming early now?

Not quite. It's already Wednesday in Europe, thus, tomorrow is Thursday.

TrailerTrash
April 18th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Ubuntu has really came a looooong way since the Warty release. Its getting better and better. :D

bradweiser
April 18th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Not quite. It's already Wednesday in Europe, thus, tomorrow is Thursday.

So can we assume that with the time zone difference we should all have Feisty this time tomorrow?

RKCole
April 18th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I'm kind of confused here...so please forgive me if I have this all messed up...

I just went to the Ubuntu site (www.ubuntu.com), and the counter says that Ubuntu 7.04 will be released tomorrow. Is this right, or is it just me?

I was kind of curious as to what timezone they are in when the releases are made as I'm in California. I thought that maybe this was the difference. If this is the case, then I'm looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Take care.

drew1313
April 18th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Yes! Thanks all I was going to ask if "ship it Cds" of "Feisty Fawn" were avalible, but ya'all already answered that Q, so I just wanted to thank everybody for the fact that I rarly actually ever need ask a question!

DreamcastJack
April 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I'm so excited about this release! I'm loving 6.10 ATM. I ordered 3 Fiesty CDs (to give to friends like I did 6.06 gonna keep 1 for myself) okay so when its released I just Sudo Apt-get dist-upgrade? or will update manager have it? but I know before I do that i'll D/L and burn it myself..just in case.

laxmanb
April 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
What about the better multimedia support promised? Can I look forward to MP3/AAC/ Flash support in ubuntu 7.04? I know that proprietary drivers are included...

frodon
April 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
What about the better multimedia support promised? Can I look forward to MP3/AAC/ Flash support in ubuntu 7.04? I know that proprietary drivers are included...All ubuntu versions already support that, what is include is an easy installation of the codecs but they are not included by default.

More details here :
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/feistybeta

FoolsGold
April 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I know it's a bit early, but what the hey...

Ubuntu Feisty:

The Real "WOW" Starts Now!

:popcorn:

zonas
April 18th, 2007, 11:25 AM
i am runing Ubuntu7.04-Beta i am looking forward to updateing

palmerthegeek
April 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Good day all,

I'm ready for the final release! Very exciting release. The beta has been very impressive! Great job to all those who made it possible!! Thank you for a fantastic MS OS replacement!

marx06
April 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I am looking forward FF very much. I only upraded last 3 times, maybe I will make fresh install now.

The Pinny Parlour
April 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hurry up already, I want my instant coffee in a microwave now dammit. LOL :)

becominglumberg
April 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
If I have the nVidia binary driver installed, will I need to do a fresh install, or should the upgrade work?

edmondt
April 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Woo just one more day :) I bet everyone is busy getting things in order :KS

justinlb
April 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thu April 19th, 12:04 AM and no Feisty :(

gusjones
April 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Thu April 19th, 12:04 AM and no Feisty :(

You're at the wrong side of the planet!--maybe give it another 18 hours...

zeifertstc
April 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM

My thoughts exactly. At any rate, I cannot wait for this release. Though, how many here think the servers are going to be a little slow with all of us fighting over our downloads? ;)

viper
April 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Damn we always get stitched...............

plb
April 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
It's still 10:43am here on the 18th lol. You still have a wait ahead of you :D

zeifertstc
April 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM
LMAO You're even an hour ahead of me. Gee, aren't timezones lovely? Hey, which timezone are we playing with here anyways? Which timezone is the host server in that we're hoping to snag our downloads from?

plb
April 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
My bet would be on London time since afaik that is where Mark resides.

fluteflute
April 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
My bet would be on London time since afaik that is where Mark resides.

Nice for me coz I'm in that timezone! :)

ArtificialSynapse
April 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Woooo, I'm excited, you guys think I should upgrade or doa clean install??

Karri
April 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Just can't wait for this release. I'm here trying to finish all my projects in time under XP to prepare myself to wipe the hard drive clean in a few hours. Goodbye, XP. Only things I probably still need XP for are video/audio/dvd editing. That's about it. For other stuff I'm hoping to use Ubuntu, starting tomorrow :)

teddybairs1
April 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I know this has already been answered a hundred times, but it keeps getting asked. If you've kept up with the update managers then you will already have the release version of Feisty come Thursday if you're already been running Feisty as a beta. If you're running edgy, you should probably be ok with doing the distribution upgrade if you don't have a lot of tweaking or programs already on your system. If you're running dapper, you must upgrade to edgy to upgrade to feisty, or else you must do a clean install from a disk.

I tried the distro-upgrade to the Feisty beta and broke my system in the process when the upgrade manager hung after it was almost done. But with my system it had to download nearly two gigabytes of software because that's how many packages I had on my system. The normal download should be around 697MB.

If you think it might kill your system with the distro upgrade do this: 1)burn a fresh copy of the Feisty .iso, 2)burn all of your personal files (important and otherwise) onto a backup cd/dvd, be sure to include any packages or programs that you had to install independent of the repos, and 3)once all this is done, try the distro upgrade anyway. If it works, then it should keep all of your settings and preferences. If it hangs and trashes your system, then you have the iso and backup disks and should be able to recover everything within a few hours. If you have a dual boot system, like I do, there are programs like ext2fs which will allow your windows xp os see your linux partitions and import files from them. One trick I do is use my windows drive to recover my personal files from the linux partition if for any reason I can't boot into it. Remember, just because you can't boot into a partition doesn't mean that your files are lost.

Hope this helps and answers some questions.

teddybairs1
April 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Karri - there should be software in the repositories for video/audio/dvd editing. browse around once you get your Ubuntu up and running. You'll probably find something you can work with.:D

t94xr
April 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I live in New Zealand. The time is Thursday April 19th 4:07am :( I cant wait till tonight :KS :KS :KS

Junx
April 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I am excited about the Feisty release. I reinstalled Ubuntu a couple of weeks ago after about 18 months of not playing with Linux and was really impressed. So far, I have been using Edgy as my primary desktop. Unfortunately, because of M$'s refusal to use open document formats, I have to reboot into ******* to write documents and presentations. No matter what anyone says OO.Org and AbiWord just don't translate M$ Word and PowerPoint presentations correctly.

Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but you can install WINE and then install Microsoft Office via WINE. You can also buy CodeWeavers' version of WINE that makes this a bit easier (CrossOffice or something, I forget the name).

thesm
April 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM
2:24am, brisbane, australia checking in, up until ubuntu comes out :popcorn: . Looking forward to upgrading.

t94xr
April 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
2:24am, brisbane, australia checking in, up until ubuntu comes out :popcorn: . Looking forward to upgrading.
Us and a few hundred thousand others lol

Im just gonna time a wget to get the iso, I'm serious, When it releases aslong as i can get the url structure, i can get it done when im not around, i have no hope in hell in downloading it for the day its released.:D :(

maniacmusician
April 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
There's still about a day left before it's released! Check the Ubuntu site for updates on time. There's a big orange sign that says when it will be released.

Also, everyone, please download the torrent version of the release if you can! Not only will this reduce the load on the servers, if you all download the torrent, then the speeds you get will be way faster than you could get with the normal http download, and there's less of a chance of corruption if you use torrents as well. So please, use the .torrent download. Thanks.

eyedol
April 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
the date on the ubuntu.com is wrong. It is talking about April 16th Thrusday which is way wrong. Could it be corrected

t94xr
April 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Do realise i ment all of them, torrents wont be that fast, everyone will be slamming the seeds for about a day aswell.

Distribution thru torrents also takes time. :)

maniacmusician
April 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
the date on the ubuntu.com is wrong. It is talking about April 16th Thrusday which is way wrong. Could it be corrected
I think you're misreading it. April 16th was monday, not thursday, and it doesn't say that Feisty is being released on the 16th, it just says "Tomorrow"

April 16th is the date on the article that appears when you click the link, but that signifies when the article was written, not the release date.

So the Ubuntu website is up-to-date...release is tomorrow.

t94xr
April 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
umm technically its today for me lawl

NZ is the first one to see the day in :)

maniacmusician
April 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM
umm technically its today for me lawl

NZ is the first one to see the day in :)
yes, well it'll be released at the end of today for you :)

vradovic
April 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
ok. In wich time of 19. April will be online ? and wich time zone?

regards,

masked_marsoe
April 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
A timezone would have been a great addition.

I'm going with GMT (not NZST :( ), but I'll keep on waiting.

HighD
April 18th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I Can't Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Today IS the day (well for me at least :D )

t94xr
April 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM
A timezone would have been a great addition.

I'm going with GMT (not NZST :( ), but I'll keep on waiting.
lawl another NZer! :D nice to meet ya man!

masked_marsoe
April 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Heh, us two waiting at 5am...
errr.. it's almost 6 now.

And still no feisty!

SorenK
April 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know if the K/X/Edubuntu releases happen at the same time or slightly later?

masked_marsoe
April 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM
They should be at the same time.

chrismyers
April 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Heh, us two waiting at 5am...
errr.. it's almost 6 now.

And still no feisty!

Thats a good point... What time zone are we working to?

I'm in the UK & its 19:00 in the evening on the 18th. There's no guarantee that we are working to GMT either.

Looks like a Friday download.

cliff01
April 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM
So where do they get the NAMES for the various releases?

masked_marsoe
April 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know... but I wanted to suggest Angsty Alpaca

BarfBag
April 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Another question. Has 64 bit improved in this version? It gave me so much trouble in Etchy, I just used the 32 bit version.

gtr225
April 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I would think they are going by UTC time.

webjames
April 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
The names are pretty weird:

Edgy Feet

Feisty Fawn

Gusty Gibbon...

hmmm
what's next?

Handsome Hedgehog?

frodon
April 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM
5.04 was hoary hedgehog

6.10 was Edgy Eft and not Edgy Feet

7.04 is Gutsy Gibbon and not Gusty Gibbon

They are just funny names ;)

webjames
April 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I think there should be a countdown timer!

gtr225
April 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I agree, that would solve alot of confusion about timezones.

ahaslam
April 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
What's happened to the release candidate? I've not seen it at Distrowatch, have they skipped this phase & do you thinks it's wise if so?

bimmerd00d
April 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
5.04 was hoary hedgehog

6.10 was Edgy Eft and not Edgy Feet

7.04 is Gutsy Gibbon and not Gusty Gibbon

They are just funny names ;)

I wonder if they'll follow the alphabet like they have since dapper, or if that's just pure coincidence. What's next, Horny Homosapien? :D Inate Iguna? Jive Jaguar? (oh no way they'd do that) Wow i need to post more....

Aramil
April 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah I tottaly agree with the count down timer!Cant wait! :P

gtr225
April 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm gonna stay under the assumtion they are going by UTC. On the Wikipedia page about UTC they claim it's the standard time for most things internet.

bradweiser
April 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well if the release of Feisty is indeed going by UTC time, then we only have to wait five hours and ten minutes!

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

tombott
April 18th, 2007, 08:08 PM
What an impatient lot you are :)

I can't wait, not got this excited since Operation Wolf came out on the Spectrum

clevin
April 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I updated my beta yesterday to kernal 2.16.20-15.

do I need to re-install with final version? or am I runing the final version now?

carlosqueso
April 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM
just run your updates as normal and you'll be on final

finisdiem
April 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I wonder if it's going to be London time (DST +0100 UTC) or if it's going to be UTC. Whichever time it is, i may get Feisty tonight! Ummm... no pun intended.

webjames
April 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
we're all gonna get feisty tonight! i normally get fast speeds from the Ubuntu servers ( ~1 - 1.5meg/s) how do you think the servers will cope? maybe bit torrent will be the best way?

webjames
April 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
i've just noticed at the bottom of each forum page it says: