PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Games Disc

dueyfinster
April 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
First off, I have made this post as a recruitment drive and as I am a moderator of this forum and I'm Irish. I know I could have posted in the cafe or Gamers area, but read on...

I wrote this on my blog:

I got inspiration over this past Easter holidays, being bored, I gave Linux Gaming a shot. I am not much of a gamer myself and most websites aren’t very helpful or have too small a focus (only shootemups, or only certain Linux distros etc.). Inspired by the fine folks at OpenSourceMac.org and OpenSourceWindows.org, I announce my own project: Ultimate Games Disc. UGD is a project I think I can make very successful. My aims are as follows:
Has to be free, either price and/or freedoms. Huge emphasis placed on Open Source Licenses that conform to the OSI’s free software (and Debians) guidlines.
Preference on cross platform multiplayer games.
Each version should contain mostly the same games, with a few exceptions, based on quality.
There will be three versions, Win, Mac & Linux (Each a DVD-R full)
Must have brain-dead easy installers (Mostly a non-issue)
We won’t host any software, just do documentation and folder structure. We then provide a site where people can cherry pick what they want their UGD to contain.So that pretty much sums this project up. It will be organised on Launchpad (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ugd). The overall aim is to introduce as many people on as many platforms to open source gaming!

The reason I did not post it on either is that this is not Ubuntu specific, rather cross-platform. My idea of it is that you pick and mix, use the disc, and give it to a friend.

What ye'all think? Any Suggestions? Comments/Critiques?

nalmeth
April 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
That is a superb idea, especially making cross-platform discs aswell.

You may want to look at the PClinuxOS based Supergamer DVD for ideas, areas to improve, games to include, etc.

dueyfinster
April 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, as it happens that contains many of the same games I have on the current UGD I am working on. UGD will be solely based on games (differing from Supergamer DVD & OpenCD), and as you mentioned cross-platform. I was worried when I saw the page that I was just replicating effort, but I think the goals are different enough (they have a livedvd, UGD will be installers, ie. no Linux underneath).

Thanks for the heads up!

nalmeth
April 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
(they have a livedvd, UGD will be installers, ie. no Linux underneath).
You know what, I like that idea even better.
It will be a lot of work for you, but it would be awesome to have a CD like that with milestone releases for some of the big OSS games, and to be able to include loki installers, or patches, or extra game data and stuff. What ever is legal I guess :)

Maybe you can distribute the trial version of Cedega, or offer wine customization guides.

The problem is just that games are updated so often, you would be working hard to keep an up-to-date CD going consistently.

Best of luck with the project