PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I?

Kyral
June 12th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Okay, its the summer. I have no job nor friends around, and tis 77 days until I go back to school. I am bored stiff. Now, I am a hardcore Linux user in a family of Windows users who think that AOL is good and that IE is better than Firefox. In my infinite boredom, I have thought of a minor prank. My sister, who has a Dell Inspirion 1100, which I have already had to reformat and restore once because she screwed it up beyond belief with virii and spyware, is one of those people who loves "name brand software", meaning IE, AOL, AOL AIM, etc, and has no clue what the word security means (the only reason she runs ZoneAlarm and an AV Scanner is because I put them there when I reformatted her computer).

Anyway, my prank is this. I DL and burn a Kubuntu Live CD, and "lose it" in her CD drive, so when she turns it on again, she boots the the LiveCD. Should I or shouldn't I?

desdinova
June 12th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Okay, its the summer. I have no job nor friends around, and tis 77 days until I go back to school. I am bored stiff. Now, I am a hardcore Linux user in a family of Windows users who think that AOL is good and that IE is better than Firefox. In my infinite boredom, I have thought of a minor prank. My sister, who has a Dell Inspirion 1100, which I have already had to reformat and restore once because she screwed it up beyond belief with virii and spyware, is one of those people who loves "name brand software", meaning IE, AOL, AOL AIM, etc, and has no clue what the word security means (the only reason she runs ZoneAlarm and an AV Scanner is because I put them there when I reformatted her computer).

Anyway, my prank is this. I DL and burn a Kubuntu Live CD, and "lose it" in her CD drive, so when she turns it on again, she boots the the LiveCD. Should I or shouldn't I?
How much damage will she do upon your person when she finds out - though of course it could backfire - she may like it ;-)

Xian
June 12th, 2005, 01:57 AM
That's a no brainer. Just wear some protective gear. :)

Kyral
June 12th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Oh, thats a side effect of the prank. I want her to like it :D

Means I will stop being called at school when her computer borks up

SamH
June 12th, 2005, 02:16 AM
If she's as bad as you say about "brand" software, it's not probable she'll like it.

As far as the prank goes, how can you NOT do it? It's one of the best type, make things look like they've gone totally wrong but in reality, nothing is damaged. :razz:

Let us know how it goes.

kvidell
June 12th, 2005, 02:19 AM
The live CD wont boot until you tell it to, will it?
She'd have to hit enter or something for it to actually load.

qalimas
June 12th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Great idea, I'm in your shoes, I'm gonna do the same ;)

Don't let her boot it up, boot it up for her, and put a nice screensaver in effect ;)

poofyhairguy
June 12th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Oh, thats a side effect of the prank. I want her to like it :D

Then your plan won't work. She will tell the difference and hate the non name brand Ubuntu forever.

It better to just INSTALL Kubuntu next time you have to fix her machine. Say its "the newest version of Windows I just found on the net. It comes with a ton of free software!"

Or, do what I did. Be a **** and say "I won't fix another computer in this house that has Windows on it." When the thing is a brick in a few months, she might think bout switching (call it tough love),

Kyral
June 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Eh, that wouldn't work. My family knows I am a massive Linux geek. Plus I have tried it before....

aysiu
June 12th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Eh, that wouldn't work. My family knows I am a massive Linux geek. Plus I have tried it before....

Well, you have to follow through with it. Every parent and/or teacher in the world knows that if you make a threat, you have to follow through with it, because children and/or students will almost always call your bluff.

If you say, "I won't fix another Windows computer," you have to actually not fix them. If you cave, they'll continue to think you're a Linux geek. Honestly, if your sister's such a "name brand" freak, maybe she should just get a Mac.

SparkyDawg
June 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Or, do what I did. Be a **** and say "I won't fix another computer in this house that has Windows on it." When the thing is a brick in a few months, she might think bout switching (call it tough love),

Haha, thats what I do also! My cousin loves Linux now, now I'm just trying to get my uncles to switch over.

poofyhairguy
June 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM
If you say, "I won't fix another Windows computer," you have to actually not fix them. If you cave, they'll continue to think you're a Linux geek. Honestly, if your sister's such a "name brand" freak, maybe she should just get a Mac.

Thats what I did. Talked mine into a powerbook. I can ssh her whenever I want!