PDA

View Full Version : How many will use CNR in Feisty ?

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

Yes, CNR would be available in Feisty as per the news here (http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3252861445.html)

so, just a poll and thread to discuss how many would use or atleast try it out in Ubuntu :popcorn:

Tsen
April 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I'm definitely willing to give it a try, but I'll reserve final judgment until after I've tried both.

nintendoduffin
April 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm really looking forward to being able to use CNR, mainly so I can easily install the correct video drivers on my various computers. I'll probably stick to apt-get for most software installation though.

Stickymaddness
April 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Will definitely give it a try and stick which ever one I deed the best....

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Will definitely give it a try and stick which ever one I deed the best....
I'm with him on this one. :)

Spr0k3t
April 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'll reserve judgment until I use it. For now, I like the terminal over synaptic.

Adamant1988
April 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not going to touch it, I prefer to do my installations via the command line. Honestly there is nothing that CNR can offer me that I don't have already, so I don't see the purpose in it.

rocknrolf77
April 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to touch it, I prefer to do my installations via the command line. Honestly there is nothing that CNR can offer me that I don't have already, so I don't see the purpose in it.

So you're saying you know all the packages in the repos by hearth? Cnr have reviews and screenshots of the apps. If you know the package you want, aptitude is the best and fastest of course. But apt-cache search dosen't give you screenshots and reviews does it? :)

Adamant1988
April 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
So you're saying you know all the packages in the repos by hearth? Cnr have reviews and screenshots of the apps. If you know the package you want, aptitude is the best and fastest of course. But apt-cache search dosen't give you screenshots and reviews does it? :)

I've been on your side, you can't convince me now that paying Linspire co. any amount of money is worth my time. Also, I don't need screenshots and reviews, those are completely extra and not essential to my software downloading experience. A decent description is sufficient for me.

Spr0k3t
April 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I've been on your side, you can't convince me now that paying Linspire co. any amount of money is worth my time. Also, I don't need screenshots and reviews, those are completely extra and not essential to my software downloading experience. A decent description is sufficient for me.

Just admit it Adamant1988... deep down inside you're really an Automatix2 fanboi/advocate...

Terminal FTW

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Just admit it Adamant1988... deep down inside you're really an Automatix2 fanboi/advocate...

I too love Automatix2 :guitar:

CNR was just there with me in the beginning where I didnt knew any apps, but later it slowly went out from me :D and am enjoying the real freedom now :-\"

mykalreborn
April 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
paying Linspire co. any amount of money

isn't cnr suposed to be open-source now? and free too?

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM

The basic account is free.CNR Gold Service is $49.95/yr

Here (http://www.linspire.com/linspire_faq.php?faq=cnr_services) is the difference

Erik Trybom
April 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I won't touch it with a long stick until they remove the banners that say "Upgrade to CNR Gold, only $49.95 a year!"

mykalreborn
April 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
oh. that's cool. it appears i don't need the gold subcription. :D

Adamant1988
April 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM

The way CNR operates is that the basic subscription is completely free. However, use it for a while and you will know that it's not really as free as you would like it to be. You're 'encouraged' to get a Gold account for the savings on the proprietary and/or commercial software, we're talking massive savings. I think with a gold account the DVD player in the CNR repos is $9.99, but without that I believe it floats around $59.99. One instance of how using a gold account "saves" you money by encouraging you to purchase more software.

Do you HAVE to pay it? No, but it's been my experience with CNR that it does not play very nicely with other package managers (Try to get apt-get working on a Linspire 5-0 install and you'll know what I mean) so I don't think mixing and matching software with it is advisable. So, really, the only reason to actually use CNR is to pay for the commercial software in it, and that commercial software is significantly cheaper if you have a 'Gold Account' with them.

So, in summary, the free subscription to CNR is merely a type of advertisement for the real service, which is the Gold account, so the experience is truly not complete without paying $50 a year to Linspire Co.; which I won't do.

Sunflower1970
April 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I may try it. I want to see the different programs out there..Don't know if I'd actually use it though to D/L & pay for programs though...

Mateo
April 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
how do you use it? what are the advantages over synaptic?

aysiu
April 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I'd try it. What's the harm?

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'll try it and if I like it, I'll probably stop using Synaptic just because I don't know how safe it would be to use both. I don't know if mixing the two will mess up dependency management. But I'm pretty stoked about it. Anything that promotes a unified way of installing things on multiple distros is a good step. I like the idea of reviews and ratings, and being able to easily install commercial apps if I want to. Also, I think that because of how massive CNR is, maybe they will have things that Synaptic doesn't.

daynah
April 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I don't like having features denied to me because I would rather go to England than sit at my computer looking up packages.

CNR may have things that apt doesn't have but I don't think that they're going to be worth $50. Nothing that Windows has (Starcraft, my beloved, included) is worth the $0 I paid for Windows...

TravisNewman
April 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
The way CNR operates is that the basic subscription is completely free. However, use it for a while and you will know that it's not really as free as you would like it to be. You're 'encouraged' to get a Gold account for the savings on the proprietary and/or commercial software, we're talking massive savings. I think with a gold account the DVD player in the CNR repos is $9.99, but without that I believe it floats around $59.99. One instance of how using a gold account "saves" you money by encouraging you to purchase more software.

Do you HAVE to pay it? No, but it's been my experience with CNR that it does not play very nicely with other package managers (Try to get apt-get working on a Linspire 5-0 install and you'll know what I mean) so I don't think mixing and matching software with it is advisable. So, really, the only reason to actually use CNR is to pay for the commercial software in it, and that commercial software is significantly cheaper if you have a 'Gold Account' with them.

So, in summary, the free subscription to CNR is merely a type of advertisement for the real service, which is the Gold account, so the experience is truly not complete without paying $50 a year to Linspire Co.; which I won't do.
Adamant1988, didn't you used to be a big Linspire/CNR advocate?

Toadmund
April 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I just want to get my ATI xpress 200g up and running, if C'n'R can do that I'll use it.
Seems I have xorg 7.2 , no driver for it yet?
My driver appears and disappears (when I want to activate it) in Restricted Driver Managament.
Nobody can answer my questions it seems.
Waiting for Envy to support Feisty.

Anyway, long story short, the easier it is for newbies to get their drivers up and running, the better it is for Ubuntu, we need the mass exodus or FORMER windows users.

Lots of people go back to Billy 'n' Ballmer because of complicated driver setups or no drivers, that's unacceptable!
Whatever it takes.

adamklempner
April 16th, 2007, 06:46 PM
how do you use it? what are the advantages over synaptic?

They have a whole list in here:
http://www.cnr.com/faq.html

------------

For me, I'll give it a go. CNR worked well for me when I was running Linspire. If everything works as it should with Kubuntu, I'll probably stick with it. CNR had some nice features that I miss:

- Aisles, the ability to select a whole group of software and make it all install at once. This helps if you need to reinstall the OS, or want to configure multiple computers the same way.

- History. This also helps make it easy to keep track of what was installed and uninstalled. It also helped me keep my three machines on par with each other.

- Screenshots/User Reviews/good descriptions. For me, a picture is worth a thousand words. Good reviews and descriptions are helpful, as often the description that comes with certain programs is very vague.

- The integration of all of that stuff could also be very nice for the nontechnical Linux users (myself included). Having a nice GUI way of finding and installing software will help bring more people over to Linux.

- Availability of commercial (pay for) software. Back in my Linspire days, I bought Crossover Office and Pixel Image Editor from CNR at the discounted rate. I was still able to install these into Kubuntu using my CNR purchase info, but it was a lot easier to do the CNR install in Linspire than the manual install in Kubuntu.

macogw
April 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
If it's gonna be in Feisty, they'd better hurry up, cuz there's only 3 days left to get it in here. But no, I wouldn't use it. I don't need it. I've got apt-get/aptitude. What else do I need? I'm not going to buy the commercial/proprietary stuff they offer.

And you can see what you've installed by looking in Synaptic, and see what you've installed but may not be installed any longer by looking in /var/cache/apt/archives, so that's no reason for CNR anyway.

Adamant1988
April 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Adamant1988, didn't you used to be a big Linspire/CNR advocate?

I argued in their defense a lot, yeah. For a while I thought CNR would just revolutionize the Linux world and I really wanted to see this happening, it's amazing how your hindsight is 20-20 though. I can't argue in it's favor, honestly as time went by I've gone more and more to apt-get rather than towards more "user friendly" tools.

From a purely technical standpoint CNR offers nothing new really, at the back end it's using RPM and DEB just as the current package managers do, it is by no means a "one size fits all" package management solution.

So, for ubuntu, it's a prettier, more point & click synaptic with reviews and screenshots, the tradeoff is that it's slower (browser based, have to wait for those pages to load), and that right from the first time you start using it it makes a point to try to get your money one way or the other. I'm not too anxious to see it introduced anyway, many Linspire Co. efforts have a nasty habit of being half-done by the paid developers there. I expect many horror stories of breakage, bugs, etc.

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
From a purely technical standpoint CNR offers nothing new really, at the back end it's using RPM and DEB just as the current package managers do, it is by no means a "one size fits all" package management solution.

That may be true of the back end, but I don't have to care about the back end. In any supported distro, I can just look at the same list of software, and choose to install something without worrying about whether it is an RPM or a DEB. They will sort it out for everybody without people even having to know or care what kind of a packaging system they require.

rai4shu2
April 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Looking at this deal, it seems to mean more for Linspire than Ubuntu. I doubt a lot of people are going to go out of their way to navigate to cnr, download their plugin, and start using it from Ubuntu.

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I don't think I'll use it. It's mostly proprietary software right? I try to avoid that as much as possible. And I thought Linux was supposed to be free. I don't like the idea of people sticking banners in my face to upgrade for $49.99 on an OS that can be free of charge. It reminds me of that nagware AKA, shareware stuff.

aysiu
April 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Looking at this deal, it seems to mean more for Linspire than Ubuntu. I doubt a lot of people are going to go out of their way to navigate to cnr, download their plugin, and start using it from Ubuntu.
Well, considering that a lot of people here navigate to http://www.getautomatix.com, download their .deb, and start using it from Ubuntu; I'd say it's entirely possible many will do the same for CNR!

The announcement of CNR being ported to Ubuntu was a joint announcement from Ubuntu and Linspire and went hand in hand with an anouncement about the next version of Linspire being based on Ubuntu.

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Well, considering that a lot of people here navigate to http://www.getautomatix.com, download their .deb, and start using it from Ubuntu; I'd say it's entirely possible many will do the same for CNR!
The thing is, Automatix is free. It's free to use and you don't need to pay for anything you can install from it.

aysiu
April 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
The thing is, Automatix is free. It's free to use and you don't need to pay for anything you can install from it.
Isn't CNR now cost-free (if not open source)?

There's free CNR and then there's CNR Gold. Check out the differences here:
http://www.linspire.com/products_cnr_whatis.php

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM

And also you can check it out at www.cnr.com :o

jfinkels
April 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
sudo apt-get install cnr

It's a joke...nevermind.

amano
April 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well. For security reasons I might stick to synaptic (to have all packages from one trusted source), but I might use the CNR web layout to do some research on certain packages. From what I get it will offer more information in an wiki style interface.

I will wait and see ;)

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM
sudo apt-get install cnr

It's a joke...nevermind.

Hey, its not a joke ! How then would you install CNR in Ubuntu :D

forrestcupp
April 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Not only is it open source, but they are encouraging the evolution of the front end. So if a bunch of open source programmers get a hold of this, I doubt if they will leave in the nag, will they?

About some other comments:
It's a very bad myth that it will be mostly proprietary stuff. It will likely have about everything in our repos along with proprietary and commercial stuff. So that just adds to the choice.

The beauty of Linux is that it is based on a standard of freedom, but thinking that everything in Linux has to be free means that you don't think that Linux or anything you use in Linux is worth paying for. There is nothing wrong with some software being commercial. We are grateful for the projects that are given to us freely, but it's a fact of life that not everyone can afford to be that generous.

chakkaradeep
April 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Not only is it open source, but they are encouraging the evolution of the front end. So if a bunch of open source programmers get a hold of this, I doubt if they will leave in the nag, will they?

But yet, there are many things that Synaptic can do than CNR. Currently I feel that the few things wat Synaptic lacks is,

1) Users rating applications
2) Aisles - Online storage of their frequently used applications so that they can just click aisle installation and dont remember always theor frequently used apps

newlinux
April 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'll probably try it out for getting info about apps. Not sure if I'll use it much other than that, but I'll give it a try. I never use synaptic either. I use the commandline for all installs...

deanlinkous
April 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
not interested at all.....

Medieval_Creations
April 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I see it as just another choice. Part of the reason we all choose Linux over other OS's.

I personally won't use it, may kick the tires and take it for a spin, but I doubt it will convince me it is better than apt.

I think it's real purpose is to try and draw more people over to Linux & Ubuntu. One of the big turn offs to Linux for some people is hardware support & codecs. If this makes it easier to install things that new users want then who am I to argue.

Personally I'm not a big fan of installer apps like Automatix & the like. They serve a purpose yes and I have used them in the past to get me started, but then I dig in and figure out how to set everything up myself.

One app that I'm really looking at now os APTonCD http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/ something like this is all I need.

Adamant1988
April 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I honestly don't see the improvement over the current situation with Feisty. The only thing I couldn't get right from feisty's repos was libdvdcss, which is contained in medibuntu.

IYY
April 19th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I just use apt-get or aptitude. With tab-completion and apt-cache search it's really the fastest and easiest way of installing software, without even loading a GUI. But I don't mind CNR being included. The more options the better, and the closer we get to standardization (not that I have problems with it, but other people criticize Linux for not having a standard install or exe format).