PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Jobs

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Just wondering what you guys do for a living...
I'm a tech support for GoDaddy.com. We register domain names and offer web hosting.

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
By the way, reason why I made this thread is simply because I am starting to learn Linux (Ubuntu specifically), and wanted to know if it's worth it. I want to know that someday, all this education would pay off with a better job... :)

NikoC
April 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'm currently working on my Phd in Biology, thus having more than enough time for learning a new OS :P

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I am currently doing my second Masters :) . Currently doing my Masters in Computer Science at University of Otago , NZ. And yes, my project is on Linux :D

FoolsGold
April 16th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I am also doing a Masters (my first, not crazy enough do a second yet). :)

It involves FPGAs, VHDL, UDP, PCBs, and various other arconyms.

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I sure wish I was a genius like you guys... lol

TheLive1
April 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah I wish I had degrees too. Only have HS diploma + college classes + short courses. Unfortunately during my youth I never took classes seriously. I want to go back and actually get more qualifications but work's taking a lot out of me and I only want to enjoy my evenings/weekends.
Fortunately I (finally for the 1st time in life) lucked out and today working as an Office IT Systems Mgr for an International Firm in the Construction industry at a project in Dubai.

danny_J
April 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I work at Volvo IT as a Unix / Tivoli technician.. and have been using Linux since -96

karellen
April 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'm currently working on my PhD in Computer Science, hope that this summer it will be all over :D

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I'm currently working on my PhD in Computer Science, hope that this summer it will be all over :D

Oh my goodness!! What do you plan to do afterwards?

karellen
April 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Oh my goodness!! What do you plan to do afterwards?

you'll probably be surprised :D. I plan to earn my existence with computers and in the meantime get another PhD in History (an old and everlasting passion of mine...)

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM
WOW! Looks like someone REALLY enjoys studying hehehe. I definitely wish you the best of luck with that.
I guess I'm curious to find out what job opportunities there are out there in regards to Linux.

Tasu
April 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I work as a freelancer in IT field (multiplatform programming, networking, system administration) and use linux everyday, 90% of my revenues come from linux and linux/mixed networking, these days (at least here in italy, but more in europe, italy is always a bit conservative in new technologies -_-) are good days for linux spread, media are talking a bit about it and small/medium enterprises entreprenours are interested in the mid/long term savings that open source can bring (I'm trying to make them see the other great things of linux, like the great standards adherence which make you the owner of your documents... but the money part seems to be a better ad these days! O_O)

Sunnz
April 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Doing a software engineering degree here... the school uses Kubuntu and I am forced to switch, damn the Linux monopoly over schools!!! :D :p

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Doing a software engineering degree here... the school uses Kubuntu and I am forced to switch, damn the Linux monopoly over schools!!! :D :p

You are lucky to use Kubuntu :D . Here my University uses Fedora Core (it sucks!) and I forcefully installed Ubuntu in my allotted machines :guitar:

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
You are lucky to use Kubuntu :D . Here my University uses Fedora Core (it sucks!) and I forcefully installed Ubuntu in my allotted machines :guitar:

LOL!! Hope you didnt get in trouble for that... hahaha funny though.

eentonig
April 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Telecom Solution Engineer.

chakkaradeep
April 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
LOL!! Hope you didnt get in trouble for that... hahaha funny though.

nah...best thing i did was in my research/project proposal i wrote that i would be doing my work in Ubuntu specifically :D

makinasvp
April 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Ubuntu > Fedora
So any other positions people? Any system admins in here? How's that going for you? (financially...)

karellen
April 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
WOW! Looks like someone REALLY enjoys studying hehehe. I definitely wish you the best of luck with that.
I guess I'm curious to find out what job opportunities there are out there in regards to Linux.

az
April 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I'm a clinical perfusionist. I run the heart-lung machine during cardiac surgery among other things.

agger
April 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm a software consultant currently customizing OpenLDAP code to run on a signal-based OS.

We do all development in Linux (not Ubuntu, though - Debian and OpenSUSE).

Dragonbite
April 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Wow.. I feel like I'm doing nothing.

I'm a Father. :shock: No no! Not one of those with the robes and collars and things, my first job is being a father to my kids..

The job for substinance (money!) invovles developing and supporting a small non-profit, quasi-state financial organization. The closest to Linux we have running is FreeBSD for our external web site, otherwise we're a M$ shop (Exchange, SQL Server, IIS, ASP.NET, Crystal Reports, etc.).

Unfortunately a consultant came (before either of us IT guys arrived) touting Linux, did not know what he was doing and his screwing-up left a bad-taste in the organization's mouth so that they are completely turned off by Linux!

StueyB
April 16th, 2007, 07:15 PM
As little as possible !

Only kidding! I support the UK arm of a multinational, in the capacity of sysadmin, doing Windows support, as well as some real oddball kit.

Its all windows, and its boring (well except patching, virii etc etc) but I am slowly introducing linux servers into there. Prolly saved around a couple of thousand by switching a few slow old F & P servers to linux.

IYY
April 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Still finishing my bachelor of science degree in CS. My last job was writing C software and a device driver for a new industry product. The device itself was running a _highly_ stripped down version of Linux (really, it only had a kernel, a basic shell and the busybox coreutils).

bonzodog
April 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Heh...my work has nothing to do with computers at all.

I am a Van Delivery Driver, work early mornings delivering bread to shops. The closest I get to a computer in my job is the Windows Mobile Handheld computer I use for ordering. They crash due to using an SQL database on the backend, and only limited memory room. I am the only one who knows how to reset the DB without rebooting it.

Linux has been my sole home desktop OS for 10 years now, and it has always been a hobby for me. I find it easier to use, setup and install than windows, and consequently, I cannot get a job in IT locally, as my MS Windows Knowledge is at noob level. (Yes, I can expert install slackware or gentoo, but struggle with even basic admin of a windows box.)

Also, I have NO qualifications what so ever. I dropped out of school at 16, and everything I know about computers is through self tuition, and trial and error.

mech7
April 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Student Interactive Media.. freelance webdevelopment / design.

Redache
April 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Clerical Assistant and it kills me more and more each day. It's not a bad job per se it's just so dismally mind-numbingly boring. I have learned to switch my mind off before I go to work and reboot as soon as I come home.

I'd love to work in IT I just need qualifications to move on which costs money and I have mass consumerism problems aka shiny things must be bought.

I think I'd be good in a Tech Support role 'cause I have a weird knack for figuring things out even if I've never used a product before. Like where I work now they have Accounting Software which is rather dated (And I mean 95 day's) and it's a brutal hack to even make it run on a Windows 2000 server properly and it's inundated with problems but basically everybody who works there uses it to some degree and some have used it for years and have done courses in it's use but I'm still the fastest at using it and I've only been using it for a few months really.

Working's overrated:o .

earobinson
April 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
programer!

Phrawm48
April 17th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Consulting technical writer in San Francisco, CA, USA.

Slowly, incrementally, becoming more comfortable with and productive with Dapper. A big step forward was getting Wine and VMware server running to the point where I can use my remaining few "must have" Windows programs -- Adobe FrameMaker and Acrobat -- in virtualization mode.

Thanks much to the Ubuntu group and this forum for getting me this far. Here's hoping it's the beginning of a long relationship...

Cheers,
Ric
SFO

Compucore
April 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I've been a technician since the late 80's early 90's but I am also have a degree in computer programming as well. a college equivilant to a dec. Interesting how the years go by when you look on how fast computer has changed since the early 80's till now.

Compucore