PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Gibbon development started already?

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Wow, that was fast. Feisty hasn't even been officially released. Don't the devs take breaks? Even if they don't they deserve one for making Ubuntu as awesome as it is:guitar:

Somenoob
April 16th, 2007, 02:57 AM
The devs are powerful supernatural creatures they don't need breaks.

daynah
April 16th, 2007, 03:16 AM
The devs coded Chuck Norris into existance to distract us because actually looking upon the devs causes mortals to burst into a beryl rainbow flame.

Somenoob
April 16th, 2007, 03:35 AM
The devs don't wait, they hack.

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Impressive, I must say.

keyo
April 16th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I think it's called gut-sy gibbon ;)

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I think it's called gut-sy gibbon ;)

Oops! I just realized I misspelled it:o :lolflag:
I guess that continues with the tradition that there's always misspellings of every release
I've seen Drapper, Egdy, and Fiesty.

Burgundavia
April 16th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Talking about Gutsy Gibbon has already begun. Actual development will likely being a day or so after Feisty releases and becomes 7.04.

Corey

prizrak
April 16th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Yeah the name is known development hasn't really started yet. Then again if you think about it the development started in 91 with Linus ;)

hanzomon4
April 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM
The devs are powerful supernatural creatures they don't need breaks.

The devs coded Chuck Norris into existance to distract us because actually looking upon the devs causes mortals to burst into a beryl rainbow flame.

:popcorn:

Priceless, please continue.......

Starchild
April 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah the name is known development hasn't really started yet. Then again if you think about it the development started in 91 with Linus ;)

Actually it started in 84 with RMS.

diskotek
April 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
In the usual announcement to the Ubuntu developer list Ubuntu founder Mark Suttleworth this morning announced the name of the next Ubuntu release plus one, due out in October 2007: Gutsy Gibbon. (Wikipedia: Gibbon)

Gutsy will follow Feisty Fawn due for release on April 19.

But, more interestingly, Shuttleworth also talked of a new ultra-free version of Ubuntu that can be expected alongside Gutsy Gibbon.

The new "flavour" of Ubuntu will take "an ultra-orthodox view of licensing: no firmware, drivers, imagery, sounds, applications, or other content which do not include full source materials and come with full rights of modification, remixing and redistribution ... for those who demand a super-strict interpretation of the 'free' in free software," said Shuttleworth.

He said the new distro would be done in conjunction with the team behind Gnewsense, the Free Software Foundation-backed Gnu/Linux distribution.

The move follows prolonged discussion on the Ubuntu developers' lists over the past year in which the inclusion of non-free components, particularly video drivers, has been raised as problematic.

In February the Ubuntu developer team announced that, despite requests, proprietary software would not be enabled by default in the forthcoming Feisty release.

If a new "free-er" Ubuntu distribution is to be released in October it is very likely that the inclusion of proprietary drivers in the default Ubuntu release may again be on the cards.

Shuttleworth said that easier installation routines will be a key goal for Gutsy development. "The Gibbon will take easy installation to a whole new level, with work on an unattended-installation infrastructure in Ubiquity that makes it trivial to roll out Ubuntu desktops across an organisation while getting on with other, more complicated stuff such as Windows service pack installations on legacy desktops," wrote Shuttleworth, taking a dig at competitor Microsoft.

Gutsy will not be an LTS (Long Term Support) release, but Shuttleworth said he does expect to see it being deployed in a lot of server environments.

On the desktop front Shuttleworth put the 3D/alternative desktop squarely on the agenda saying "I remain convinced that malleable, transparent and extra-dimensional GUIs are a real opportunity for the free software community to take a lead in the field of desktop innovation, and am keen to see the underlying technologies land in Ubuntu, but we have to balance that enthusiasm with the Technical Board's judgement of the stability and maturity of those fundamental layers.

"On a personal note, the monkey on my back has been composite-by-default, which I had hoped would happen in Edgy, then Feisty. I'm nervous to predict it now for Gutsy, for fear of a third strike, but I'm told that great work is being done in the Compiz/Beryl community and upstream in X. There's a reasonable chance that Gutsy will deliver where those others have not," said Shuttleworth.

The release schedule for Gutsy Gibbon can be found here.

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1447

also i would like to highlight this

"an ultra-orthodox view of licensing: no firmware, drivers, imagery, sounds, applications, or other content which do not include full source materials and come with full rights of modification, remixing and redistribution ... for those who demand a super-strict interpretation of the 'free' in free software,"

Quillz
April 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Development never really ends. I'm sure you've heard of Firefox nightlies, right? Those are basically daily builds, and every so often, one of them gets tagged as a "beta," "release candidate," until eventually one of those nightlies becomes the final, stable release. It's the same thing with Ubuntu. There are probably hundreds of daily (but non-public) builds made, and every six months, one of those builds will be tagged as 7.04, 7.10, etc.

mediax
April 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I like the idea of Gusty Gibbon development starting - presumably with someone feeding the gibbon plates of beans?

aamukahvi
April 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
It's the same thing with Ubuntu. There are probably hundreds of daily (but non-public) builds made, and every six months, one of those builds will be tagged as 7.04, 7.10, etc.
Actually you can download the dailies.

the8thstar
April 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Is there a place or thread where we could write our wishes for the next edition of Ubuntu 7.10? A thread that developers would actually READ and work from of course.

My wishes are:

1. A splash screen upon install to set major options and orientations for computer use, to indicate which config we want installed (office, home, gamers, studio, etc...)

2. More equivalences to ActiveX controls and better media codecs, especially when streaming video from the Internet.

3. VMWare and Wine installed by default with scripts already working for most Windows programs (MS Office 2000 to 2007, lots of games) to make the Windows to Ubuntu transition seamless and more appealing for novice users and current XP/Vista users

3. Native support for extra monitors (hot plugging) through S-video, VGA and DVI ports
and native support/streaming of HD media

4. A media center with functions similar to WMCE in Vista Home Premium, built in the system, with its launcher and bells and whistles

bonzodog
April 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Is there a place or thread where we could write our wishes for the next edition of Ubuntu 7.10? A thread that developers would actually READ and work from of course.

The developers only really read the mailing lists, and have next to no time for the forums. Even then, they pretty much follow their own little path - it seems user suggestions are rarely taken into account, unless it's something that is approved/missed by Mark and the canonical team.

My wishes are:

1. A splash screen upon install to set major options and orientations for computer use, to indicate which config we want installed (office, home, gamers, studio, etc...)

Hrm..possible, but unlikely. An Ubuntu ISO has to be contained within 700MB, a CD-Rom burn size, and can only contain a limited set of software. at the moment, it's a fixed install, with no options, unless you go for a server. This is why there are varying flavours of ubuntu floating about, different desktops, and different suites of software. The central Ubuntu release is basically the latest gnome desk with all the latest Gnome tools.

2. More equivalences to ActiveX controls and better media codecs, especially when streaming video from the Internet.

ActiveX is a proprietary thing owned and patented by MS a long while ago. It's more or less redundant in the Linux world, and sites that use those controls are reported as bad, and against standards. Nobody in their right mind encourages their use.

3. VMWare and Wine installed by default with scripts already working for most Windows programs (MS Office 2000 to 2007, lots of games) to make the Windows to Ubuntu transition seamless and more appealing for novice users and current XP/Vista users

Not going to happen. Ever. Wine and VMWare will no doubt be in the repos, but will never make it as part of the release, due to ISO size restrictions.

3. Native support for extra monitors (hot plugging) through S-video, VGA and DVI ports
and native support/streaming of HD media

hrm...X is undergoing a major change at the moment, so that it hotplugs, and does not depend on a config file. This might just happen, probably not in Gutsy, but 2 or 3 releases down the line. A lot of it depends on the X.org development team.
Streaming of HD media might also happen but it will rely on codecs downloaded from the repos, and DRM HD streams are never likely to work in Linux. We have to make a stand somewhere against this kind of thing.

4. A media centre with functions similar to WMCE in Vista Home Premium, built in the system, with its launcher and bells and whistles

This will almost certainly be in a separate edition/flavour of Ubuntu.

the8thstar
April 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
To Bonzodog:

First, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your feedback!

Now, you are mentioning size-related restrictions (ISO file), but what about DVD installs? Can't 4.7GB be enough? Also, I'm adamant about the codecs. They NEED to improve and evolve, especially since X is veering towards HD as you were hinting in your post.

mustang
April 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
To Bonzodog:

First, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your feedback!

Now, you are mentioning size-related restrictions (ISO file), but what about DVD installs? Can't 4.7GB be enough? Also, I'm adamant about the codecs. They NEED to improve and evolve, especially since X is veering towards HD as you were hinting in your post.

One of ubuntu's strong points is its small iso size. I've seen countless posts about having to download x number of cds for fedora or debian or what have you. I think ubuntu should stick to one simple cd.

Hobbsee
April 23rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Development never really ends. I'm sure you've heard of Firefox nightlies, right? Those are basically daily builds, and every so often, one of them gets tagged as a "beta," "release candidate," until eventually one of those nightlies becomes the final, stable release. It's the same thing with Ubuntu. There are probably hundreds of daily (but non-public) builds made, and every six months, one of those builds will be tagged as 7.04, 7.10, etc.

They're all public - search for daily ubuntu images on google, you should be able to find it - no point keeping on building images if the installer doesnt work though, or whatever. People do occasionally take breaks - especially the devs who arent paid.

Forum ambassadors are doing stuff like this. But i fail to see why the developers should respond and do *your* favorite ideas? There are thousands of ideas here, and thousands of things in the developers minds, which they'd like to see. Are you paying them? Canonical employs it's developers to do certain things, which are decided at the developer summits, and the rest of the developers on ubuntu can do whatever they like, and work on whatever takes their interest. If you're desperate for your pet project to be done, why dont you put a bounty on it, and see if that gets more interest?

The developers only really read the mailing lists, and have next to no time for the forums. Even then, they pretty much follow their own little path - it seems user suggestions are rarely taken into account, unless it's something that is approved/missed by Mark and the canonical team.

See the above response. And a lot of the forum suggestions are unfeasable - the signal to noise ratio tends to be very low, in the ideas threads. (mainly due to non-free (eg codecs) stuff by default, extra stuff installed (cd space, anyone?), requesting fixes for projects, when most of us dont even work on them (like adding features to rhythmbox or something) - yes, we package it - but we, for the most part, dont code it.

Technoviking
April 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Be sure to participate on the on-line sessions at UDS-Sevilla (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-Sevilla?highlight=%28uds-sevilla%29), much of what will go into Gutsy will be discussed at the summit.