PDA

View Full Version : Custom ubuntu

maxwas
April 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hello all,

I have had experiences in the past of stripping down knoppix disks and rebuilding them into live cd's. I am wondering, is it possible to do the same with ubuntu? Are there any tools or tutorials that i can be pointed to?

Ideally i would like to make a *really* stripped down ubuntu server for my own purposes. I may even call it wubuntu (w for wee) ;)

Many thx

Syke
April 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Take a look at Reconstructor (http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/). It looks like a great way to mod your own Ubuntu build.

maxwas
April 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Superb!! Just what i am looking for.

Thx for that syke :)

Soldierboy
April 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Ah, was also looking for something like this. Thanks!

lotacus
April 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM
ahh. this looks handy. If this also allows you to install to hard drive, this could definitely cut down on customization that was necessary with the generic live cd.

asfaq
May 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
have any of you been able to add or remove custom apps using reconstructor? if yes, how do you do it.. i have been trying to fiddle with the problem since the last week.. still no joy!

smartboyathome
May 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have tried Reconstructor, but I find it too buggy. When I want to add or remove programs, I have to use the terminal. Also, I have to manually edit the sources.list to match mine. On top of all that, I cannot even update my CD once I have made it, as it says it cannot find what "version" it is.