PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite colour?

Nolander
April 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I just had to ask!
and i dont know about every one else but this brown is really (*^$)&^% me.

Smiles:D
Nolander

Quillz
April 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Black is my favorite color, although some people claim it's not a real color at all, so red is my "backup" favorite.

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Black is my favorite color, although some people claim it's not a real color at all, so red is my "backup" favorite.
yeah, you're right. its an absence of colour.

i voted for blue. is been my favourite colour for as long as i can remember. i even supported everton football club (before i changed allegiance to liverpool) when i were about 5 years old just because i liked the blue in their home strip :mrgreen:. sad, i know :roll:

Rhapsody
April 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Depends on what day it is. My carpet is bright red, my window decorations are green, and I've recently gained an affinity for blue.

Rhapsody
April 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM

That's only in terms of light though. With paints, black is the presence of all colours.

Nils Olav
April 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM

No, something fully transparent lacks color.

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM
That's only in terms of light though. With paints, black is the presence of all colours.

No, something fully transparent lacks color.

whatever. but it seems the scientific world aren't in agreement with you. considering that colours are made up of light rather than paint (and the fact that we live in the real world rather than on some artist's canvas), we can safely conclude that black is not a colour.

p3_Arme
April 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Blue Violet

I love me, for my it's my calm, peace colour and it's my Native American Colour. My favourite stone is Azurite, which is Blue and Green. :)

rai4shu2
April 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I voted for orange in lieu of bronze/gold/tan. Brown just doesn't cut it.

IYY
April 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM
whatever. but it seems the scientific world aren't in agreement with you. considering that colours are made up of light rather than paint (and the fact that we live in the real world rather than on some artist's canvas), we can safely conclude that black is not a colour.

There is more than one definition for the word colour. From a scientific perspective, of course, black is just lack of light/colour, but there are other things that people have been calling colour long before its scientific attributes have even been discovered. It's clear that in the human mind, black is a colour. It is also clear that to create the colour black in the real world you generally have to mix more colours together.

If you only take the pure physical definition of every word, you will live a very difficult life. For example, you will have to admit that no objects really exist, but only atoms --- after all, are objects not an abstract way created by the human mind to represent particular arrangements of atoms?

Since people don't pick their favourite colour based on its wavelength (650 nm looks so good to me, so clearly red is my favourite colour!) but on aesthetic appeal... black can absoltely be considered a colour! And it is my favourite colour for aesthetic and spiritual reasons: it goes well with everything, it looks mysterious, it encourages imagination (when looking at nothingness, the brain spends less time processing visual information and more time imagining and thinking), etc.

Similarly, one could say that his favourite sound is silence (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16481), ignoring the fact that silence is just the absence of sound!.

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
There is more than one definition for the word colour. From a scientific perspective, of course, black is just lack of light/colour, but there are other things that people have been calling colour long before its scientific attributes have even been discovered. It's clear that in the human mind, black is a colour. It is also clear that to create the colour black in the real world you generally have to mix more colours together.

If you only take the pure physical definition of every word, you will live a very difficult life. For example, you will have to admit that no objects really exist, but only atoms --- after all, are objects not an abstract way created by the human mind to represent particular arrangements of atoms?

Since people don't pick their favourite colour based on its wavelength (650 nm looks so good to me, so clearly red is my favourite colour!) but on aesthetic appeal... black can absoltely be considered a colour! And it is my favourite colour for aesthetic and spiritual reasons: it goes well with everything, it looks mysterious, it encourages imagination (when looking at nothingness, the brain spends less time processing visual information and more time imagining and thinking), etc.

Similarly, one could say that his favourite sound is silence (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16481), ignoring the fact that silence is just the absence of sound!.
a few points:
-i'm talking about a scientific point of view. and yes, we all know that black can be seen as a colour in the popular sense of the word. eg black cat.
-was it really worth writing all that for something that was only meant as a half-tongue-in-cheek comment to begin with?
-its time to move on.

matthew
April 15th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Other. It really depends on my mood, and "tie-dye" wasn't one of the choices.

Dirty Ole
April 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Guess brown wont get many votes.

BTW where's the pink? :P

IYY
April 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM
a few points:
-i'm talking about a scientific point of view. and yes, we all know that black can be seen as a colour in the popular sense of the word. eg black cat.
-was it really worth writing all that for something that was only meant as a half-tongue-in-cheek comment to begin with?
-its time to move on.

You are talking about a scientific point of view, but everyone else is talking about an aesthetic point of view.

Yes, it is worth writing all of that. I am a philosopher and a thinker, and my understanding of the world (as well as my success in abstract computer science) comes from understanding and explaining ideas such as these. Issues that seem trivial, like the appeal of colours, has psychological, philosophical, artistic, and logical meaning whether you like it or not. You can choose to avoid thinking about it, but for me it is important.

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
IYY
just choose your favourite colour and then enter it in the poll. christmas will be here shortly.

koenn
April 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Other. It really depends on my mood, and "tie-dye" wasn't one of the choices.
with tie-dye you still need to choose colours, no ?

matthew
April 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM
with tie-dye you still need to choose colours, no ?:) Point taken. I'll choose red, blue, green, yellow, orange, and purple.

sloggerkhan
April 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I rather like silver. After that, probably reds, blues, oranges,and browns.

hardyn
April 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Its so contextual. i would not stay i have one faviorite color... i like brown t-shits, but don't want a brown car. I like stainless steel kitchen appliences, but there is no way im going to wear metallic pants.

I don't think there can be a universtal faviourite color.

karellen
April 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
dark blue, purple and black. can't make my mind

hardyn
April 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM

IYY, your a philosopher aren't you? haha... cheers, I'm just teasing. ):P

Cariboo1938
April 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I like the BROWNS of the desert, the GREENS of the forest and the BLUES of the Caribbean Sea.

hardyn
April 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Awwwwwhhhhhh.... ;)

Pikestaff
April 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Teal blue. It's a very specific shade of blue that doesn't even fit most descriptions of "teal"... but it's the same color as the Crayola crayon "teal blue". Yeah, I'm picky! :p

Lux Perpetua
April 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I don't have a favorite color; I just like color in general. Choosing a favorite color for me is comparable to a normal person choosing a favorite from his children.

Nolander, you left out grey.

Also, to those arguing about the status of black, whether black is a color depends on how you define "color," and by most common and useful definitions, it is one.