PDA

View Full Version : Idea - Ubuntu, Ipod, Google

iamcowdrunk
April 15th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Just a couple ideas i got not to long ago that I'd like to hear peoples reactions about...

First- The Ipod. I know it already has had linux running on it, but why not a Ubuntu Ipod edition? Probably a 3rd party project that is simple and easily to install and sync with everything you have on your Ubuntu box? I mean everyone has an Ipod. Almost everyone I know has one besides myself and everytime I mention putting linux on it, i get the same response as to switching to linux, "its too complicated". I'm sure it would be even more of an incentive to switch to Ubuntu when a person knows they can do the same with their Ipod/Itunes on windows and sync music, movies, photos, contacts that they can do with Ubuntu. I believe the music part is already covered by amarok and other music players but i have not seen anything that does the same with movies and the rest. In my opinion I think it would be another great reason for people to switch. Just an idea.

Second- Greenphone. Some may have hearrrrd of it? Theirs a new open source cellular phone from Trolltech called the Qtopia Greenphone (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone), and pretty much the same as the Ipod. I just think it would be really interesting to have a nice Ubuntu running on that to again sync with all your information on your box.

Third (probably a bit more unlikely) - Do a little partner work with google? I have to say I love google, Google Labs, releasing some open source software, and just their humor in general. I think it could be very beneficial to pair up with some of the google team or something. Possibly collect some money by setting the firefox homepage to the front page of google? Maybe putting some relatively small thing in that benefits google? Hell, I wouldn't at all mind if I saw a big google logo on my desktop background if it would get some money coming into the Ubuntu project.

Just my thoughts for now. Tell me your opinions.

zanglang
April 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Not sure about Ubuntu running on the iPod... i don't think it has enough memory, that's why it only runs with a minimal kernel and a few programs, doesn't it? Maybe efforts should be concentrated on getting a better-powered portable device with better specifications to run entire distros. :)

Got to played around with the Greenphone a bit when Trolltech came to our university career fair some time ago. Looks spiffy, but again, I doubt it can run entire distros. Maybe you could tweak it a bit to get a nice brown Human theme... but green doesn't go with brown/orange/chocolate very well. ;) Not to mention that their Qtopia platform is proprietary... I'd very much prefer Nokia's N770 and N800, at least Maemo is more open.

iamcowdrunk
April 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Yea I don't think a full distro would run on an Ipod but putting something in there that will sync up with ubuntu in one click would be amazing. I do however completely agree with you trying to get a more powered portable device but the reason I mentioned ipod is because everyone has one already. Now that i think about it does anyone know the specs for the zune? That would be pretty sweet to have linux on it... like a portable web server or something, completely unnecessary i know but if that could happen id probably buy one just for the hell of it.

I guess i should have looked into greenphone a bit more.. i just saw it on digg at one point... After hearing about that id definitely scratch that idea and say nokia's linux phones.

jarvis13
April 16th, 2007, 07:31 AM
There's already ipod linux and rockbox if you don't like the apple firmware.
Ubuntu should stick with what they're doing. If they start focusing on other B.S. i'll be pissed. Alot of mac fans are mad because Leopard's release got pushed back because Apple took some developers and put them on the iphone project.

iamcowdrunk
April 16th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't want any of the Ubuntu developers taken from their main job at all. They are doing an amazing job now. Thats why I suggested 3rd party or something.

Wouldn't you agree it would be awesome to plug in your Ipod have all the crap thats on it synced with you computer and auto-update the firmware through update-manager?

baskus
April 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think that's a job for the rockbox people
try that out btw, pretty cool project (since I can watch movies on my non video ipod :D)