PDA

View Full Version : What are the ultimate features of Ubuntu that neither Vista nor OS X has?

motin
April 15th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I have skimmed through the Vista feature list (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/accessibility.mspx) and the OS X counterpart (http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/).

Sadly, Ubuntu doesn't have it's own feature marketing page. Why not? And more importantly - what would it contain in order to attract the largest possible user-base? Ideas?

EDIT: I kinda missed http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu... But that kind of proves my point. It is not a page that gets the attention it's needed! And quite frankly imho - I do not believe average Joe would see this page as inviting as the Vista or OS X - not that that is the focus of our efforts, but it is a factor weighing in on why the Ubuntu user base is diminishing small compared to the Giants'

The features presented on http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition:
- Desktop simplicity
- Ubuntu 'Just Works'
- A complete office productivity suite
- Quick and easy updates
- A vast library of free software
- Help and support
- Ubuntu in your local language
- You can download Ubuntu, or request a free CD from Canonical.

The features presented on http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition:
- Integrated and secure platform
- Lower Total cost of ownership with automatic LAMP installation
- Eliminate the cost of updating individual workstations
- Supported architectures

At the time of writing, there is no Ubuntu Office/professional Edition.

Summary of the first 5 pages (up to post #48 - updating as fast as I can ;) ):

Feature (Votes)
- Free as in freedom - Ultimate freedom of choice - No kind of pre defined product, static, boxed and shelved - Non-restrictive licensing - No registration no serial number no pain (7)
- Ease of adding/removing programs - ie The package managers apt, Synaptic etc (6)
- Complete applications suite for basic tasks including a complete office productivity suite (5)
- Free as in free beer (5)
- The welcoming and helping community (4)
- The repositories - or The thousands of free applications reachable within an arms length (4)
- No need to bloat your computer with anti-virus and anti-spyware (2)
- A semi-stable spinning cube and wobbly Windows (2)
- More secure (2)
- Community-based Development - By users, for users - Value based (as opposed to commercial-driven) - It does what I want it to (not what media companies want it to for instance) (3)
- Out of the box EASY CD Ripping (2)
- Out of the box easy and quality CD/DVD Burning (Music/Iso's/Files) (2)
- More hardware supported out of the box (2)
- Completely customizable Desktop appearance - Configure your own unique look and style (2)
- Tiny hardware requirements (2)
- Out of the box integrated torrent downloading (1)
- Out of the box quality photo editing software (GIMP) (1)
- Variety of desktop games (1)
- Quick and easy updates for ALL your software (1)
- Flexible non-lock-in system requirements (1)
- The "command_not_found" package (1)
- Will most likely never be discontinued (1)
- Social, Political, Economical positive impact (see developing countries) (1)
- Participatory contribution of userbase in defining its development (1)
- Optimisation upon user's needs and limitations (1)
- Runs on a great variety of platforms (1)
- Availability of source code (1)
- Runs on non-proprietary hardware (1)
- Starts with minimal 'eye candy' (1)
- Ability to add as much as you like eye candy and GUI animations as you like (1)
- Live CD - Try before you install or use to repair computers (1)
- Stability and Reliability (1)
- Workplace switcher / multiple desktop environment out of the box (1)
- Out of the box support for patent-free unencumbered media formats (1)

These have received votes but are features that Vista or OS X has:
- Plug your PC into you LAN and have internet without ever configuring anything (1)
- Native mounting of disc images (1)
- Long term profit for stock holders (1)

These are dependent of situation and is not considered in the vote above:
- Lower total cost of ownership (1)

If you are up to it - you may want to give your opinion on these threads as well:
- What are the ultimate features of Vista that Ubuntu needs? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=409721)
- What are the ultimate features of OS X that Ubuntu needs? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=409722)

External sources for votes (as direct answers to these questions):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2471348&postcount=65

maniacmusician
April 15th, 2007, 03:37 AM
I suppose that's because all of Ubuntu's features come from other open-source projects.

I think it would be a good idea to put up a page like that though!

DoctorMO
April 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM
See the OP misunderstands Ubuntu and Linux in general. he must think that it is some kind of pre defined product, static, boxed and shelved.

The fact is that even though ubuntu is a set distribution it is far more fluid, you install the functionality you want and YOU choose what are the most important features. as it should be.

The answer is that the ultimate feature is choice.

maniacmusician
April 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM
See the OP misunderstands Ubuntu and Linux in general. he must think that it is some kind of pre defined product, static, boxed and shelved.

The fact is that even though ubuntu is a set distribution it is far more fluid, you install the functionality you want and YOU choose what are the most important features. as it should be.

The answer is that the ultimate feature is choice.
yeah, but I don' t think that was the point. What the OP was saying was that there should be a prominently displayed page that says what Ubuntu comes with by default, and what features that provides. He wasn't saying that you need to be restricted by those choices, but it might be nice to have an overview of what you get by default.

Takmadeus
April 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM
like....

Here's a list of the packages you can start with right after installing

openoffice.org - excelsior office suite, compatible with your old .doc, .xsl, .ppt and .db files!

and some more examples like those....

then ...

plus! more than a thousand appliucations of every kind and for every taste and all in a free manner!

plus a community that will receive you with open arms and will always help you with your softyware related problems!

yeah... there is more to ubuntu than a simple eye can see ;)

v8YKxgHe
April 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
You mean like this? (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition)

karellen
April 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
apt-get/aptitude/Synaptic
for all others there are windows couterparts or are simply available in windows too (firefox, gaim, openoffice)

dspari1
April 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I have skimmed through the Vista feature list (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/accessibility.mspx) and the OS X counterpart (http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/).

Sadly, Ubuntu doesn't have it's own feature marketing page. Why not? And more importantly - what would it contain in order to attract the largest possible user-base? Ideas?

1. A spinning cube
2. No need to bloat your computer with anti-virus and anti-spyware
3. More security

Takmadeus
April 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
You mean like this?

indeed... it needs more space at the front page... and more hype in the text IMHO :p

but yeah, that's the idea

mahy
April 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
The single biggest advantage of Ubuntu is F R E E D O M!

diskotek
April 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
package manager... and lovely forums :D

wersdaluv
April 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
This page (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition) is great, but it can be improved.

What features do you think should be added here (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition)?

bastiegast
April 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
You want features? There you go:

- Out of the box integrated torrent downloading.
- Out of the box EASY CD Ripping
- Out of the box easy and quality CD/DVD Burning (Music/Iso's/Files)
- Quality photo editing software (GIMP)
- Plug your PC into you LAN and have internet without ever configuring anything *
- Great office suit.
- More hardware out of the box supported than windows or OSX
- Variety of desktop games
- No registration no serial number no pain.
- Automatic updates for ALL your software
- Didn't I mentioned synaptic yet?
- No viruses/spyware/adware
- free software

I could go on for a while bu this should be a nice start.

* Windows asks confusing questions about how you want to connect to the internet on installation.

spinflick
April 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
New users need to see the OS working, it's no use talking about this package or that package, windows users wont know wtf your talking about.

Go to youtube and see the comments from windows users about Beryl, I know it's a shallow excuse to change an OS but thats life. ;)

Rich43
April 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
1. A spinning cube
3. More security

OSX has 2 and 3 due to being UNIX based :-)

Tundro Walker
April 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Scalability

Mac and MS are pushing users to bigger, more powerful machines every time they come out with an OS. In their favor, they have tons of paid developers forging the future of how computers work. But NOT in their favor, they're having a hard time dreaming up why an average home user, who isn't a gamer, would need anything more than a 1-2ghz machine.

Honestly, the 2ghz computer (some would even argue 1.5 or 1ghz) was pretty much the critical mass apex for utilitarian computer users, meaning, unless you're a gamer, a 2ghz machine is more than enough to do all utilitarian things on your computer, like surf the net, create documents, email, play music/movies, etc.

Once the average utilitarian user has a machine that's fast enough for their use, all they want is continual support and updates to make it rock-solid, and still run smoothly without the need to get better hardware (unless something dies). This is where Ubuntu and other Linux distro's gracefully keep carrying the torch that Mac & MS want to extinguish and re-light every few years to get folks into upgrading to current uber-hardware.

Ubuntu and Linux distro's in general not only keep systems up-to-date, but breathe new life into old hardware that no longer works due to forced obsolescence in other paid-for OS'. The flagship Ubuntu and secondary Kubnutu making good use of machines in the 1-2 ghz range, while Xubuntu picks up with the under 1ghz crowd. Heck, one forum member (can't remember who), got Ubuntu to work on an old 386 (!). But, if someone is really determined to get an old 100mhz Pentium working with Linux, they don't have to bend over backwards...they can just get Puppy Linux, which is lite, up-to-date, and works wonderfully on very old machines. The fabulous thing about this is it isn't some old Win 3.11 version scrounged up and patched on to get to work on old hardware. Ubuntu distro's are up-to-date, and can stay up-to-date, even on older machines.

Older machines may not be able to support a lot of the "glitz" that seems to be the selling point these days (3d desktops, etc), but utilitarian users can live without that. They primarily want something that's easy to use and "just works", while looking good is a secondary objective. Linux used to be the programmer / hobbyist OS, but a lot of GUI distro's have shown it's got what it takes to be a "just works" system. In fact, most users who started in with Ubuntu were probably suprised at how it auto-detected their hardware and such without any crazy leg work. And, it's a steady motion...more Linux version focus on ease-of-use GUI, so more Mac / MS users decide to give it a shot, which tells the developers that there is a need for more GUI support, so they make the front-end more robust and user-friendly, which brings more people over...etc.

Shared Knowledge Pool at All Levels

Linux also has the advantage of being open-source. There are programmers and developers for Mac and MS, but they can't see the source-code for the OS or other proprietary things. Linux developers can, which gives them an advantage. Plus, while there's the occasional flame-war about which distro is better (usually picking on the percieved "weakness" of the other camp), we're all using Linux. So, (for example) Gentoo users tend to focus on "I built Rome by myself" power-use, while Ubuntu camp tends to focus on usability and accessibility, etc. We may pick on each other at times, but when one camp comes across something really useful, all camps benefit by incororporating it. EG: using packages like .deb or .rpm to make install a breeze, then going one step further and offering package management systems, like Apt-Get, Synaptic, etc to make getting the packages even easier.

Even when something shows up in MS or Mac land, Linux developers are pretty quick to port useful things (if the developer allows someone to do so with their source code) or develop something that adopts it (like Beryl and Compiz mirroring a lot of what Vista can do). I don't think Ubuntu has a corner on the market for ease-of-use and accesibiity (there are other Linux distro's that focus on that, too), but Ubuntu's focus on such has been another huge, much needed push towards bringing more folks over to try Linux.

Focus is on Making It Work rather than Making a Profit

Many small business start because someone (primarily) wants to offer the world something that makes it a better place, and (secondarily) would like to make a profit off doing so. However, as business get larger, and more and more MBA types help shape the company, the business model shifts from providing first and profiting second to profiting first and providing second. This is Apple and MS today. They are primarily in business to make money, not provide things you need.

That is why it's a very painful thought to imagine if Mac or MS tried doing some things that we take for granted in Linux. Imagine if they implemented something like Synaptic. It'd be iTunes, but for everything, and it would cost an arm and a leg to buy stuff...you'd have to jack with all kinds of licensing issues ("I already paid for it once, why can't I just download it again for free?"), etc, etc. What a hassle. And the whole time, you're paying for the annoyance of using their service, and being brow-beaten not to break the law so much so that you're tempted just to break the law in order to retaliate for the hassles.

With Linux, since money isn't a primary motivator (we'll go into further with the topic below), folks can focus on product rather than profit. Folks can develop at their own pace, putting as much time and TLC into their program as they like. Folks can pick up someone else's work and tweak it to make it different or better, causing continual improvement. Linux may sometimes develop slower then the wage-slave Apple / MS camps, but Linux provides more of a Darwinistic evolution then the narrow, forced one of Apple / MS.

(Not to be totally negative, though. MS and Apple do have R&D dept's cranking away at today's technology problems and coming up with some pretty creative solutions. But, folks working have to deal with budgets, schedules, layoffs, etc. It can be stressful.)

Sir Thomas Moore said "Society is what we want, but Government is what we need." This basically means, we all want to be able to go out, watch a movie, eat at a restaurant...do what we want...but also be safe knowing everyone on the road will (hopefully) be following the traffic laws, there (hopefully) won't be any open gun-battles at the restaurant we're going to, etc, because while we can generally do what we want, we've all agreed to live by a certain set of rules to keep life somewhat structured, predictable and safe.

I think Ubuntu has brought that idealogy to Linux. Linux, by it's open-source nature, is like Society, letting developers go off and do what they want, explore and come back with their findings. But, users need the re-assurance that bugs will get fixed, software will be supported, and issues will be addressed. This is the not-so-fun "Government" part of software development, and Ubuntu solves it by having a paid staff that addresses such. In a way, it provides the best of both worlds (for us users), as we benefit from the new inovations from the explorers, and from the solid structure the foundation developers provide with their tweaks and bug-fixes. I think it's what helps Ubuntu stand-out from other Linux distro's...a free OS that has corporate-like structure and support.

(As a side note, I honestly wouldn't mind paying taxes so much if I knew part of them were going towards supporting something like Ubuntu development. But, it would never happen, because Apple and MS would most likely lobby against such. C'est la vie.)

Making OS & Software a comodity that everyone has access to for free

Joel (from Joel on Software)...

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/StrategyLetterV.html

...laid it out pretty nicely. His idea is that if you standardize something for free, then everything that uses it suddenly goes up in value because demand naturally goes up. For example, let say (just because I speak English) English was suddenly nominated the only language anyone could speak world-wide. There would be an increased demand for books, literature, etc in English, hence sellers of such could charge more, or at least sell more, making a nice profit.

The same would be true with Linux as an OS and open-source software in general. If it pushes a standard, especially one that is free, then folks will more likely adopt it, which pushes versions you have to pay for out of the market, and eventually you have a free standard. However, you need computers to run it on, so folks who can furnish Linux hardware will love it, since demand for Linux-friendly hardware will increase. While I don't doubt Mr. Shuttleworth's good intentions, I kinda wonder if he has long-term plans to invest in Linux-based hardware companies, and turn a side-line profit from the Ubuntu movement he's footing a lot of the bill for. You know, he would see Ubuntu as a long-term investment. Put some money in now to get Ubuntu up and going, then once it's permeated the market, the investments in Linux hardware companies will start to pay off in droves. His investment in Ubuntu would be the hand that pulls the slingshot back, cocking it, waiting for the right moment to let it go and watch the other investments tied to it skyrocket. It'd be a smart plan.

Anyways, it's late, and I've done enough prophesizing for one day...

motin
April 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
yeah, but I don' t think that was the point. What the OP was saying was that there should be a prominently displayed page that says what Ubuntu comes with by default, and what features that provides. He wasn't saying that you need to be restricted by those choices, but it might be nice to have an overview of what you get by default.

Exactly. The boxed variant is only the way I believe most Windows/OSX users are used to see operating systems today. I put a vote up for "Ultimate freedom of choice - No kind of pre defined product, static, boxed and shelved" in the summary - one that I totally agree on.

Scalability

Mac and MS are pushing users to bigger, more powerful machines every time they come out with an OS. In their favor, they have tons of paid developers forging the future of how computers work. But NOT in their favor, they're having a hard time drea...
... it's late, and I've done enough prophesizing for one day...

Always great to hear prophesizing when it is not based on limited perspectives, total naiveness or zealotry like alot of other material I've heard.

I put up votes from you on:
- Flexible non-lock-in system requirements
- Community-based Development - By users, for users
- The package managers - Add/remove programs, apt, Synaptic
- Long term profit for stock holders
- The welcoming and helping community
- Non-restrictive licensing - No registration no serial number no pain

Correct?

mar225
April 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Why is everyone so damn concerned about what the other person is doing or using.

If it works for you use it. It really is nobodies business what "he" or "she" runs for an OS.

It sounds like big brother needs to look out for you. To hell with big brother and all the other idiots who have to have their nose in where it really doesn't belong If a large percentage of the world likes MS$ leave them alone. Maybe they know something you don't big brother....

jariku
April 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Fifty points for: http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/feisty/admin/command-not-found

9a3eedi
April 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM
The single biggest advantage of Ubuntu is F R E E D O M!

both in terms of cost as well as free ability to do anything

mac.ryan
April 18th, 2007, 03:01 AM
My votes:

Value based (as opposed to commercial-driven)
Participatory contribution of userbase in defining its development
Social, Political, Economical positive impact (see developing countries)
Tiny hardware requirements
Quicker fixing of security breaches
Lower total cost of ownership
Potentially everlasting (as opposed to software that can be discontinued - see MSDOS, for example)
Optimisation upon user's needs and limitations

Quillz
April 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
This isn't exclusive to Ubuntu, but I do like how on Linux, you can natively mount a disc image. Both Windows and OS X require at least one third party application to do that.

Sunnz
April 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Cross platform - you can run your Windows on x86 machine, or OS X on Mac, but not the other way around. Ubuntu works on both of them and even on a PS3!!!

Sunnz
April 18th, 2007, 05:51 AM
This isn't exclusive to Ubuntu, but I do like how on Linux, you can natively mount a disc image. Both Windows and OS X require at least one third party application to do that.
You mean like mounting an ISO file?

OS X does that too natively, when you double click an .iso file, it gets mounted as a CD driver, it uses `mount` in the underlying BSD userland though...

Sunnz
April 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM
1. A spinning cube
3. More securityOSX has 2 and 3 due to being UNIX based :-)Make it 1 as well. OS X also has a spinning cube. Not that it matters much anyway.

dgrafix
April 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Linux

motin
April 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Linux

As in the kernel, the GNU/Linux/everything else components, the community, or witty remark? :)

Chrisj303
April 19th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Everything about OSX is better than ubuntu.

By not reconising ubuntu failures, and pushing to improve it - the user base is never going get much better than the current 0.57%.

FoolsGold
April 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Except for the price... and the proprietary hardware... and the lack of source code... and (etc)

Chrisj303
April 19th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Except for the price... and the proprietary hardware... and the lack of source code... and (etc)

OSX comes with the Mac, and anyway, boohoo - you sometimes have to pay software developers for their hardwork.

I have found Mac to be incredibly compatible - i tripleboot osx/ubuntu/xp, and every piece of hardware i have plugged into osx works first time.

Sunnz
April 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Actually OS X integrates with the hardware on the laptop better than any Linux distro I have tried.

Yes I know it is because of they make their own hardware and such... it still doesn't distort the fact that they are still making the best UNIX laptop around, and I am willing to pay for it, I gotta to buy a laptop anyway so why not get one with UNIX that has been designed to work really well with the laptop?

And of course, the OS per se is DRM-Free.

Anyway, enough Mac'ness.

I think the topic is weird and doesn't really work. Vista and OS X themselves are quite different beast...

But OS X and Ubuntu are both UNIX(like) OS.

And many advantages found in Ubuntu over Vista are also advantages of OS X over Vista.

So, comparing Ubuntu to both Vista and OS X = trouble. People suggests many advantage in Ubuntu over Vista but does not apply to OS X and thinks it applies to OS X and OS X fan-boy refutes it and that somehow make it also not an advantage over Vista neither!!!

dgrafix
April 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
As in the kernel, the GNU/Linux/everything else components, the community, or witty remark?
witty remark :)

motin
August 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Hey has anyone tried Gutsy yet? It should be possible to expand this list further with or without Gutsy, but the Gutsy news might help since it will be out long before the next OS X or Windows...

motin
August 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM
I think the topic is weird and doesn't really work. Vista and OS X themselves are quite different beast...

But OS X and Ubuntu are both UNIX(like) OS.

And many advantages found in Ubuntu over Vista are also advantages of OS X over Vista.

So, comparing Ubuntu to both Vista and OS X = trouble. People suggests many advantage in Ubuntu over Vista but does not apply to OS X and thinks it applies to OS X and OS X fan-boy refutes it and that somehow make it also not an advantage over Vista neither!!!

Yeah, this threads purpose isn't to compare Ubuntu against Vista or OS X separately, but to bring forth the unique features that cannot be found elsewhere - and with elsewhere I mean in the 99% OS Share market of OS X and Vista.

Makes more sense?

dgrafix
August 31st, 2007, 11:33 PM
I have found Mac to be incredibly compatible -

OSX is a fantastic OS but the only problem is you NEED a mac. Linux (in general) however can run on everything from the latest 64bit monster PC, sparcs, macs, even on a PSiON 5mx(not ubuntu tho :P)!!. You cannot really say that OSX has better hardware support because its a closed hardware set for a start. If anything Ubuntu has far better hardware support simply because of the vast range of PC hardware out there that it has to cope with. The only peice of hardware i ever had trouble with was a ralink based wifi card. So i bought a netgear. Everything else has plugged and played just fine.

There is more people around the world using Linux than OSX (and estimates put osx at about 6-8% of the market) and the thing i like about linux in general is you can do what you like with it, its probably the most customizable and i reckon its going to BOOM with it being the OS of choice for the new generation of ultra cheap ultra portable PCs, as well as powerig most of the web. So its certainly here to stay weather the world likes it or not.

Vista i reckon is quite possibly the beginning of the end of MS. It is horribly patronising, restricive, it has a very sinister EULA in which you practically say MS can totally control what you can and cannot do with your own pc and IT departments everywhere are terrified of it and are holding on to XP for as long as poss (inc. ours) .. Ubuntu has given me a great useable linux that while a bit of a learning curve, keeps going and going. Since ive been using it i have only experienced one hard crash (my fault :)) Re-installation is so quick and easy, especially when you have a backup of the old 'etc' folder for reference when tuning all the non standard bits.

A return to widely used Unix standards is defo. on the cards to knock MS off its high horse but weather it will be BSD, LINUX(in general) or OSX remains to be seen.

Deaf_Dog
August 31st, 2007, 11:57 PM
I think if there was a features list it should have bullet points that push compatibility.

Before I was introduced to Ubuntu I still had this preconviced notion, and I have a feeling the average computer user does too, that getting a Linux distro up and running was a pain in the backside. I've loaded Ubuntu on three different machines, added hardware, and haven't had a since problem.

Also, the one thing I love having is OpenOffice already installed and already being able to rip and burn CDs and DVDs.

I know that some people may not think of this as a big deal, but I think to the average computer user it is, is that Ubuntu is completely customizable. You can make your desktop look and feel however you want it to without shelling out money for a program to change it for you.

starcraft.man
September 1st, 2007, 12:01 AM
Geez, this is a real easy one for me.

The main feature Ubuntu has (over Vista and OSX) is that it's the only one out of those 3 that will ever be on my main work machine (least current one). Pretty good feature I think.

Now, a bit more seriously... It's free (to install, donations of course are encouraged). It works on my current hardware with no excuses (even Compiz/Beryl). It does what I want it to (not what media companies want it to for instance). It also has a great friendly community (something lacking for both others).

I'm happy with it.

Sunnz
September 1st, 2007, 02:58 AM
Yeah, this threads purpose isn't to compare Ubuntu against Vista or OS X separately, but to bring forth the unique features that cannot be found elsewhere - and with elsewhere I mean in the 99% OS Share market of OS X and Vista.

Makes more sense?

Yea I understand your intent, which is all nice and good.

However I think most people don't actually know enough about "all three" OS to provide a useful result... some people might have touched OS X for like 5 seconds and goes claim they all "all three", when they don't even realise OS X is yet another UNIX OS!!!

I might be too accused for bashing Vista (to a degree) when I haven't played around with it enough...

PryGuy
September 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM
The single biggest advantage of Ubuntu is F R E E D O M!Exactly!

PryGuy
September 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Yea I understand your intent, which is all nice and good.

However I think most people don't actually know enough about "all three" OS to provide a useful result... some people might have touched OS X for like 5 seconds and goes claim they all "all three", when they don't even realise OS X is yet another UNIX OS!!!

I might be too accused for bashing Vista (to a degree) when I haven't played around with it enough...Well, OSX was a very inconvenient OS in my case. The OSX app launcher below for instance is a funny but absolutely ridiculous thing.

dgrafix
September 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
I would say complete customisation over the gui is a def. selling point as eye candy definitely attracts a lot of people. Many people i have spoken to did not like ubuntu because of the 'brownness'. Many do not know that with some tweaking and bolting-on they can have this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=684OLRsTrrs

However I like the fact that you have the choice of weather you want to waste resources on eyecandy with ubuntu. With other OSses you are more restricted.
selling points:
- Starts with minimal 'eye candy'
- Configure your own unique look and style
- add as much as you like eye candy and GUI animations as you like.

Sunnz
September 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well, OSX was a very inconvenient OS in my case. The OSX app launcher below for instance is a funny but absolutely ridiculous thing.Well that's an aesthetic thing that I think a lot of Mac user are going to disagree with you... what if they find the app launcher in KDE ridiculous compared to the Dock? That doesn't really mean much to you does it?

Alfa989
September 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
There is more people around the world using Linux than OSX (and estimates put osx at about 6-8% of the market)

Actually, it's the other way round...

Linux: 0,63 %
Mac OS X: 6,18%

:) :) :)

Alfa989
September 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Error!

Mac OS X mounts disk images out of the box... :)

Dimitriid
September 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
apt-get/aptitude/Synaptic
for all others there are windows couterparts or are simply available in windows too (firefox, gaim, openoffice)

Yep. Here's my list in order of importance:

1) Free as in Freedom
2) Stability and Reliability, i.e. ext3 is just superior to any windows file system
3) Free as in Free Beer
4) Synaptic + Repositories
5) Live Disc.

tomcheng76
September 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
i only have a DX7 display card w/ x86 cpu w/o SSE3
will i install vista / macOS ?
no way :-)

Epilonsama
September 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
They don't have a workplace switcher or a pager for multiple desktop, in fact they don't have a multiple desktop environment out of the box.

the_darkside_986
September 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Ubuntu takes up much less RAM than Vista.

I talk to Mac-users while playing the openGL-accel. game Sauerbraten and they always tell me how terrible it is trying to play it on Mac. I've never used the new Macs so I don't know...

Very good selection of free software and the ability to play patent-free unencumbered media formats at the first without having to install 3rd party plugins for iTunes or Windows Media Player like in Mac and Windows users must do.

I wish I could say that it is easy to convert closed-source media files into the free ones, but the Ubuntu devs seem to have decided that it is more important to make proprietary formats install easier than to make a GUI that converts media files to ogg vorbis and theora. I had to install 3rd party mplayer codecs to do that from a command-line.

About Mac security: http://www.securemac.com/

Of course, Ubuntu has its own security issues but I think we'll be o.k. as long as we avoid flash game websites (especially from other countries) and using VNC server. That one can cause some major security issues. I think most of our security problems will come from closed-source software that can't be patched promptly (flash, nvidia-glx drivers, etc.)

Chrisj303
October 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Beryl.

My needs are otherwise perfectly catered for via Vista/OSX.

stuh84
October 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
"They don't have a workplace switcher or a pager for multiple desktop, in fact they don't have a multiple desktop environment out of the box."

Until the end of this month when OS 10.5 comes out for the Mac, they are calling it spaces.

"Hey has anyone tried Gutsy yet? It should be possible to expand this list further with or without Gutsy, but the Gutsy news might help since it will be out long before the next OS X or Windows..."

Incorrect on OS X, as mentioned above, 10.5 is out this month

"Cross platform - you can run your Windows on x86 machine, or OS X on Mac, but not the other way around. Ubuntu works on both of them and even on a PS3!!!"

Bootcamp means you can run Windows on a Mac, as well as with the obvious Virtual Machine software

In terms of what the Ubuntu page can do to improve how it looks, I think it is just too text based. Theres very few screenshots, which would go a great deal to explaining how everything looks and works, and each feature in the Vista and OS X pages are seperated out, rather than just put into long paragaphs.

dgrafix
October 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Actually, it's the other way round...
Prehaps (more or less)

But:

Linux: 0,63 %
Mac OS X: 6,18%

You gotta be kidding me right? - Mabe in the US.

Considering places like india china, parts of europe and africa are embracing linux like a backpacker to a cold beer.

Truth is, no one knows how many people are actually using linux because there is no (or little) sales figures, only the odd survey, which the last one i saw (on the BBC i think) put an estimate at more like the percentage of mac users. Plus to further complicate issues, most users (that i know) tend to dual boot it (like me, i use windows too but mostly only for games).

I come from the UK where hardly anyone owns a mac. I currently live in sweden where they are a little bit more popular (most of the people i know though either use windows or linux, which has a big underground following here). Also, the next wave of ultra cheap ultra portable laptop machines is going to be linux so the linux usage figure will rise dramatically. Apple are so into their music thing right now i can imagine they will soon trail behind (if theyr'e not already). Plus they are in a warm place right now with MS who think Mac is just big enough to be 'acceptable fair competition' to make them look less monolistic (yeah right), but not big enough to be a direct threat (they do kind of "own" a big slice of apple pie anyway!)

Also From Wiki (not so relevent to this but it is,in an indirect way..):
16% of PDAs & Smartphones now use linux
77% of Supercomputers now use it
12% Of servers (the rest being mosly unix & MS Server 200x)

Dont get me wrong, I love OSX its a really great system, except you need an expensive mac to run it and it doesnt offer me any more than linux, except mabe software choice.

Sunnz
October 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
"Cross platform - you can run your Windows on x86 machine, or OS X on Mac, but not the other way around. Ubuntu works on both of them and even on a PS3!!!"

Bootcamp means you can run Windows on a Mac, as well as with the obvious Virtual Machine software

Bootcamp only runs on Intel Macs. That is, Linux can run both Intel and PPC Macs, but Windows can only run on Intel Macs.

stuh84
October 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Bootcamp only runs on Intel Macs. That is, Linux can run both Intel and PPC Macs, but Windows can only run on Intel Macs.

True, but the OP of that was implying that it simply cannot be done, which is not true.

shrimphead
October 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
"Cross platform - you can run your Windows on x86 machine, or OS X on Mac, but not the other way around.

I beg to differ sir, A couple of days ago I installed OSX pretty much flawlessly on my IBM Thinkpad X31. so it does work. Admittedly it's not exactly supported but it can be done relatively easily, even my wi-fi card worked (was picked up by Airport)

However it still isn't a very nice system so back to Ubuntu it was for me :)

entangled
October 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Cut ...
Before I was introduced to Ubuntu I still had this preconviced notion, and I have a feeling the average computer user does too, that getting a Linux distro up and running was a pain in the backside. I've loaded Ubuntu on three different machines, added hardware, and haven't had a since problem.
Cut...

I think this means a lot to those who are basically afraid of computers (IMO the majority of buyers). The computer (OS and hardware) has to be friendly to attract serious interest. The Mac usually achieves this (though Apple don't always back this image up). MS is like the BFG (and there's lots of help available if problems happen - means you probably will need help!).
Ubuntu is making a lot of progress on this front but it needs some high profile publicity - simplicity vs windows complexity.

motin
November 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Great great, but What are the ultimate features of Ubuntu that neither Vista nor OS X has? - Topic reminder...

catfacts
November 8th, 2007, 02:11 AM
This might have been posted.. Really windows user see FOSS as free lunch where as FOSSers see it as free speach. So the community aspect is often overlooked. But if someone can grasp that a community of friendly, considerate and knowledgable (us) people is far more important than any feaure. Oh no know virus in the wild == very good but no one will believe me cuz' ubuntu doesn't release service packs. We really need to unWindowize people, sigh.