PDA

View Full Version : How many people do you know who watch the Indy 500?

aysiu
April 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
In light of this recent campaign of Helios' (and others, I'm assuming) to get Linux sponsorship for a car in the Indy 500 and then subsequent objections that it's not a worthwhile cause or an effective advertising means, (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=406138) I'm just curious.

How many people do you know* who watch the Indy 500?

*know here means someone whom you would definitely say "Hi" to and address by name if you saw her or him on the street.

tom717
April 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
None.
I don't know if it is even televised in the UK

RAV TUX
April 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM
In light of this recent campaign of Helios' (and others, I'm assuming) to get Linux sponsorship for a car in the Indy 500 and then subsequent objections that it's not a worthwhile cause or an effective advertising means, I'm just curious.

How many people do you know* who watch the Indy 500?

*know here means someone whom you would definitely say "Hi" to and address by name if you saw her or him on the street.
Zero, Zip, Nada....

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
i don't know anyone. but then again, this is romania and people only watch soccer in here. :D

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Zero, Zip, Nada....
about 4 people I know would watch it; that doesn't mean they do every year, but they're basically NASCAR nuts. Indy is a little different, but they still enjoy watching it occasionally.

More important, i think, is the question "Would anyone notice Linux adverts on a car?" and "Is it worth the $350,000 US to put Linux adverts on a car?"

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM
More important, i think, is the question "Would anyone notice Linux adverts on a car?" and "Is it worth the $350,000 US to put Linux adverts on a car?"

and even if they see the add, will they go straight away to install the latest linux distro just because they saw a cute penguin on the car?

rai4shu2
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM
In all fairness, I don't think we are their target demographic.

r4ik
April 14th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Nobody.
i would if i could,pitty

Polygon
April 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
nobody.. sorry but nascar and car racing is like the most boring thing i could imagine... cars going around in a circle for so many laps....

Fascination
April 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
No one. But then I represent a minority in the demographic, ie - not American. ;)

The 'Tux 500' seems to be the produce of the 'Illogical Science' mentioned in Dilbert comics. The premise is quite simply summed up in one sentence, "Scientists are smart, Im a scientist therefor Im smart".
This can be transfered indirectly to, "Im a computer user, I love Indy 500, therefor all computer users like Indy 500". I still feel the money would be better put into a charity or something.

STREETURCHINE
April 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
im australian it would probably get a mention on the news if an australian won the race,

i know no one who watches the indy 500

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I dont think thst a sports event isnt a very good way to go, but it would be cool if linux sponsord the pittsburgh Penguins!

RAV TUX
April 15th, 2007, 01:41 AM

No.

taurus
April 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I watch all of them if I can but the biggest of them all, the Daytona 500... Traffic is like crazy around here (I-95 is going thru town here) the weekend they have the race.

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM
No.

The reaction will be "ooo its a pretty penguin" not "I must try this open source operating system"

And that was just what I think someone will think so nobody go on about how linux is a kernel

tbroderick
April 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I watch hoping there is a "clothing malfunction" on Danica Patrick. :tongue:

RAV TUX
April 15th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I watch all of them if I can but the biggest of them all, the Daytona 500... Traffic is like crazy around here (I-95 is going thru town here) the weekend they have the race.Now I know one person.:)

taurus
April 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Now I know one person.:)

Oh yeah...

"Gentlmen, start your engine." =D>

Let's go racing, boys.

spinflick
April 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I went out last night for a couple of drinks and a meal with some friends. I asked them all if they had heard of Indy500 most had never heard of it or thought it was a rock band. ;)

LookTJ
April 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Gargamella
April 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I am from italy and we don't watch it, don't know neither where to search

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I think it might be on c5 or NASN in the UK, but I dont like racing so Im not sure! C5 does have NASCAR I know that because its on before/after NHL highlites.

(In the UK)

spinflick
April 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think it might be on c5 or NASN in the UK, but I dont like racing so Im not sure! C5 does have NASCAR I know that because its on before/after NHL highlites.

(In the UK)

So your the one that watches C5 ? ;)

ThrobbingBrain66
April 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
A few things to take into consideration:

1. The camera won't be on one car the entire race. Even if it was, they wouldn't choose the Linux car.

2. Secondly, there's no guarantee that the car will qualify for the race. All top-name drivers already have sponsors so this car would most likely be driven by a no-name guy that most likely won't qualify. If he doesqualify, it'll be in the back of the field.

3. There will be no guarantee that the car will even be mentioned on television/radio. If this car were to succeed in qualifying, they may make a mention of the car for 2 minutes (maximum) pre-race but that's about it.

On the whole, the exposure the car would get isn't worth the price tag.

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
So your the one that watches C5 ? ;)

only nhl, nothing else, but I know lotsof people who watch prison break.

happy-and-lost
April 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I think you can only watch stuff like that with a very expensive Sky TV package in the UK.

bapoumba
April 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I voted none. I assume 3 boys watching "Cars (http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/cars/)" from Pixar do not count :D

em007a
April 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
The money would be better spent on commercials during the Olympics. At least that way you would have world wide exposure. Even then, I don't know that it would get the results you are hoping for. Linux will surge ahead when people are ready for real change. Until then, only those of us who already know about the advantages will enjoy a superior OS. I consider myself among the privileged. :)

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think you can only watch stuff like that with a very expensive Sky TV package in the UK.

The north American sports network (NASN), which you get on sky if you pay about £15 a month for the setanta package. (on top of your already extortinate sky prices)

Engnome
April 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Before reading about this through my RSS feeds my reply would have been:

Indy 500? :confused:

plb
April 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I think car racing is more popular amongst the middle age+ americans living down south because I have to yet to meet anyone from up north to watch it. All the drivers for nascar and indy 500 seem to be southern as well.

picpak
April 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
A 90% vote for Nobody. Not good.

plb
April 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
What's so fascinating about watching cars go around in a circle anyway? I just never understood that :confused:

Shay Stephens
April 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I live in the us, and growing up on the west coast, I didn't know anyone who watched it. In school the only televised sports people talked about were football, baseball, and then basketball. The only TV sports parties i heard about and went to were football.

I moved to Seattle and it was the same with the addition of some boating games.

I now live in New York, and it's all about the baseball.

Car sports is just not something that has ever been on the minds of anyone I have known personally, from my youth till now.

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Anybody watch the Top gear when they had to drive through Alabama with slogans such as "manlove is good" "hilary for presidant" and "NASCAR sucks" painted on their cars without getting shot or arrested. They got chased out of the state by angr people with baseball bats"

plb
April 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Anybody watch the Top gear when they had to drive through Alabama with slogans such as "manlove is good" "hilary for presidant" and "NASCAR sucks" painted on their cars without getting shot or arrested. They got chased out of the state by angr people with baseball bats"

Yeah that was great. Rednecks love their nascar lol.

Lucifiel
April 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry but what's Indy 500?

spinflick
April 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yeah I watched that it was sooooooooooooo funny :lolflag: actually that's what first came to mind when I first heard about this. ;)

heathen
April 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I know a lot of people that watch, but I'm from that area of indy... so that may sway my view...

I think the premise is good, but the delivery could use a little work...

I do like the idea of a linux backed pitsburg penguins...

GuitarHero
April 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
2, nascar is lame

Sunflower1970
April 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Nobody.

The closest I've gotten to even watching car racing is seeing the movie with Will Farrell: "Taladegan Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."

hardyn
April 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I think car racing is more popular amongst the middle age+ americans living down south because I have to yet to meet anyone from up north to watch it. All the drivers for nascar and indy 500 seem to be southern as well.

As far a nascar goes i will totally agree with you... and IRL (indy racing league) its sorta the same thing. watching 200+ laps x 4 left turns.... ZZZZZzzzzzz

But some auto racing is pretty cool, World Rally Car, F1... (the European based sports) are actually pretty neat. Especially WRC, 400+hp. sedan style car (ford focus, subaru impreza, etc) firing down a dirt road 2m wide, sideways at 150km/h... its fun to watch.

Shay Stephens
April 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Having thought more about it, I do remember people talking about racing when I was in California. The Baja 1000 race came up regularly, though I never watched one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baja_1000

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
As far a nascar goes i will totally agree with you... and IRL (indy racing league) its sorta the same thing. watching 200+ laps x 4 left turns.... ZZZZZzzzzzz.

You mean american cars can go round corners? :)

plb
April 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You mean american cars can go round corners? :)

Sure, we just throw our fat arses to one side and the car goes with it. :D

Shay Stephens
April 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Sure, we just throw our fat arses to one side and the car goes with it. :D

Oh...like a skateboard! :D

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Fat people can skate?:o

plb
April 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Fat people can skate?:o

I'd like to think so...just not very well.

Hex_Mandos
April 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
None. Few people even like watching local races. F1 is somewhat popular, though.

kostkon
April 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Indy 500?!! It does not compare to F1. F1 is much much better. Anyway, out of the subject, I think, worldwide, Nascar is somewhat known because there were some good Nascar games. Eh, From EA Sports??!

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
And three guesses what OS they dont work on!

Daveski
April 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
In all fairness, I don't think we are their target demographic.

Indeed. All of the people you know, know someone who runs Linux. There are lots of people who watch the Indy 500, and if only a small percentage ask 'what is this Linux thing?' then the goal has been reached.

Hopefully if the enormous amount of money is raised, then there will be a news buzz just because a community donated the money.