PDA

View Full Version : Dream system

Seti
June 11th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Alright, here's the deal. My mom has finally broken down and realized its time for her to get a new computer. She says she wants to spend about $3000 Canadian. Great.

First, I told her, "hey mom, buy a MAC!"
Mom: "no, don't think so".

She has an old PII Dell that she bought back in 199some year, she constantly complains its slow, it has problems etc. etc. I have to go there about once a month, remove spyware, defrag...you know the story. (Win'98)

I finally convinced her that getting another Dell, at this point is NOT the way to go. I offered to build it for her, but noooooooo, she wants someone certified/qualified to do it. (I don't have A+, yet )
OK, so I told her there are a couple of places in town where they can build a wicked PC, custom built, with warranty, good service. This is TRUE. There are such places in Thunder Bay. OK. So at this point, this is probably the route she will take.

So in my opinion, she can get a great PC, and even save on Microsoft Windows XP, because I can give her my (legit) copy which I no longer use. I have also shown her my slick Hoary desktop, and she thought it was fantastic. So looks like it will dual-boot, unless I can get the one windows program she needs for work to run with Wine. (and in that case I think the Windows XP disc will end up in the garbage, where it belongs. Sorry but things that have annoyed me that much end up in the trash. I realize that others have had better experience with XP; I hated it.)
Anyway....
So to start, I think AMD 64 of some kind is in order.
Probably 512 to a gig of DDR RAM.
She wants an LCD display. 19" at least.
Video card, something nVIDIA, not to crazy, but AGP and S-video output at least.
Good sound. I have an audigy sound-blaster 24-bit sound I'm happy with. 5.1 speakers.
Couple of Hard-drives, 120 GB each.
Good DVD writer, at least 16X, dual-layer.
She wants wireless. Your suggestions for a good linux-friendly wireless nic?
She also wants wireless keboard and mouse (/me rolls eyes) have any of you had good experiences with these under Ubuntu? Which kind?
And that should do it. My parents don't play games. They plan on getting ADSL from our local phone provider. Or maybe cable. We'll see. I want them to be safe online also. I've discussed internet security with them a bit, something they're going to have to get used to.
Anyway, I'd love to hear what other Ubuntu people think about this. Have you had a similar experience? Any brands or models you'd suggest? Any advice in avoiding pitfalls?

Thanks.

kassetra
June 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM
My system cost me around $4000, but that's because I have a 23" Apple Cinema Monitor, which cost about $1500. If you don't purchase such a high-end monitor, you'll probably be able to get away with my specs (you may possibly need to bump some of the specs down a fraction, like only one SATA drive, less RAM, etc.):

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Leadtek PX6800Ultra 512Mb PCIe
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
2 Western Digital 300Mb SATA Drives
2Gb Crucial Ballistix RAM
Lian Li PC-V1100
Enermax EG565AX 535W P/S
Pioneer DVR-109
-
That's my system and I'm running Hoary, which works flawlessly with it... The Sound is onboard (SB Live cards have some issues with flash / firefox, etc.), And I have a full Harmon Kardon speaker system. Mouse & Keyboard are a very personal choice, so it's best if your mom goes to a store and tests out ones and then just purchases one she likes.

EDIT: Non-bluetooth wireless mice are SOOOO bad sometimes. They are vulnerable to temperature changes, sunlight, distortion from your speakers, etc. Non-bluetooth wireless keyboards can also suffer from the same issues. If your mom insists on them, explain to her that her computer may not always "hear" her mouse.

az
June 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I am so dark ages.

My next computer is the liquidation $299.99 (Canadian) 2.4Gig Celeron with 256 megs or ram. I have nasty throughs about making the bookcase fall over and smashing our current computer so we can upgrade.

$3000.00? Oh my! I'd have to burn down the house far that...

trivialpackets
June 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I am so dark ages.

My next computer is the liquidation $299.99 (Canadian) 2.4Gig Celeron with 256 megs or ram. I have nasty throughs about making the bookcase fall over and smashing our current computer so we can upgrade.

$3000.00? Oh my! I'd have to burn down the house far that...
lol. I spent 1400 for my notebook, am very happy with it, but man I saved for 3 years of college for this thing... lol. Before that it was a Compaq with AMD K-6II with 374 bits of ram and parts that I'd scrapped from others who bought new computers. lol. Honestly, given my experience now, and my use for computers, it's unlikely that my next purchase would be a desktop, but that is my personal preference, as I wouldn't substitute the storage or power for the portability I have now. Possibly though a server... who knows.

ubuntu_demon
June 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
My system cost me around $4000, but that's because I have a 23" Apple Cinema Monitor, which cost about $1500. If you don't purchase such a high-end monitor, you'll probably be able to get away with my specs (you may possibly need to bump some of the specs down a fraction, like only one SATA drive, less RAM, etc.):

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Lian Li PC-V1100
Enermax EG565AX 535W P/S
Pioneer DVR-109
-
That's my system and I'm running Hoary, which works flawlessly with it... The Sound is onboard (SB Live cards have some issues with flash / firefox, etc.), And I have a full Harmon Kardon speaker system. Mouse & Keyboard are a very personal choice, so it's best if your mom goes to a store and tests out ones and then just purchases one she likes.

EDIT: Non-bluetooth wireless mice are SOOOO bad sometimes. They are vulnerable to temperature changes, sunlight, distortion from your speakers, etc. Non-bluetooth wireless keyboards can also suffer from the same issues. If your mom insists on them, explain to her that her computer may not always "hear" her mouse.
you are a girl with a wicked computer :-D

I spent like 1300 euros to get a new computer almost two years ago (but I didn't need a new videocard or monitor) ==> P4 2.8 ghz with 1 GB DDR

I wanted to get ubuntu for my dad. But in the end I decided to get an imac. See this thread :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19774

for 1500 euros you get an imac G5 with 17" lcd screen and 2 GHZ processor

Or otherwise maybe you should buy her a nice HP laptop .. I think you'll get a pretty decent one with 3000 dollars to spend :)

az
June 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM
"She wants wireless. Your suggestions for a good linux-friendly wireless nic?"

Any prism54 based chip. (Dlink DWL-G120 (rev A & B), DWL-G650 (rev A))

"They plan on getting ADSL from our local phone provider. Or maybe cable. We'll see."

Coming soon! Internet through the power lines. I cannot wait for this. In the meantime, Cable seems to be a lot better than DSL.

"I want them to be safe online also. I've discussed internet security with them a bit, something they're going to have to get used to."

Use a router as a firewall and run Ubuntu.

pdk001
June 11th, 2005, 01:53 PM
i'd love to have a laptop to use it anywhere in my place, i have 2 desktop PC's one is in my room and other is a living room

skoal
June 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I think I'd invest $1000+ on a 27+ inch LCD, and whatever's left at everything else.

By the way, all wireless keyboard/mouse combos should work straight outta the box on Linux, they all use USB connectors. I never had any problems with my Logitech wireless rig - even after spilling my cup fulla worm dirt all over the keys a few times. Logitech makes those suckers pretty damn air tight, like a boat.

\\//_

Seti
June 11th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks you guys, these are some good suggestions!

WildTangent
June 11th, 2005, 05:27 PM
does your mother honestly need those kinds of specs? if all shes going to do is surf the web and check email, why not just give her an Athlon 64 3000 (not neccesarily 939 pin, but thats all a matter of choice i spose) 256MB of RAM, or no higher than 512, a cheap nvidia card, 64MB or 128MB will do, and 1 120 GB hard drive. use the money you saved on a nice monitor.

i sometimes get the same problem youre apparently having, youre given a set amount of money to spend, and you try and max out that money. sure, youre making a really good system, itll probably be more than adequate for gaming, but like you said, she doesnt game. are you sure youre not building this system for yourself? ;)
even if you are youre not even planning on putting XP on it, so youre not going to get much gaming done anyway :P

-Wild

az
June 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
And why 64 bit?

sapo
June 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Lian Li PC-V1100
Enermax EG565AX 535W P/S
Pioneer DVR-109
-

Mind donating something to a poor guy like me? i m still planing to upgrade to an overclocked mobile before thinking about an A64.. and you got the top hardware.. omfg ](*,)

skoal
June 11th, 2005, 06:12 PM
And why 64 bit?
Because the guy living next door with the fancy boat parked out front still using 32?

\\//_

kassetra
June 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Mind donating something to a poor guy like me? i m still planing to upgrade to an overclocked mobile before thinking about an A64.. and you got the top hardware.. omfg ](*,)

Well, I work pretty much 18-20 hours a day, 7 days a week on my computer, and I tax my systems pretty heavily.

I'm a professional and these are the tools of my trade - similar to other kinds of professions. I make money and then re-invest in my tools to stay efficient. My older hardware goes first to my business, should I need upgrades to my servers and what not, and then, trickles down to my family members and the local schools/organizations that I'm a part of.

I didn't start out with nice hardware, but now it's essential to my career.

sapo
June 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Well, I work pretty much 18-20 hours a day, 7 days a week on my computer, and I tax my systems pretty heavily.

I'm a professional and these are the tools of my trade - similar to other kinds of professions. I make money and then re-invest in my tools to stay efficient. My older hardware goes first to my business, should I need upgrades to my servers and what not, and then, trickles down to my family members and the local schools/organizations that I'm a part of.

I didn't start out with nice hardware, but now it's essential to my career.

hehe i was just kidding... btw.. if i just earned in US Dollars...

But i have to charge based on Brazilian Real and buy the computer stuff in USD, buying and A64 is just a dream with the amount i earn programin php here http://planetside-universe.com/forums/images/smilies/teardrop.gif

Btw.. dont need to be so serious about what i said :roll:

kassetra
June 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM
hehe i was just kidding... btw.. if i just earned in US Dollars...

But i have to charge based on Brazilian Real and buy the computer stuff in USD, buying and A64 is just a dream with the amount i earn programin php here http://planetside-universe.com/forums/images/smilies/teardrop.gif

Btw.. dont need to be so serious about what i said :roll:

LOL I think I may be working too much. I didn't mean to sound quite so ... humorless.

*note to self, get away from the computer some time this weekend ok?

FLeiXiuS
June 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
*note to self, get away from the computer some time this weekend ok?

:-P /me takes notes again. :-D I'm still learning how to manipulate my life without the computer. It's a very tough task.

kassetra
June 11th, 2005, 09:21 PM
:-P /me takes notes again. :-D I'm still learning how to manipulate my life without the computer. It's a very tough task.

My life without a computer?!?! I'd have some major withdrawals.... and that's all I need... to be sitting in a cafe trying to type something into my scone.... or wanting to scroll with my iced latte.

Wow. I need to buy myself a life. LOL ;)

FLeiXiuS
June 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
My life without a computer?!?! I'd have some major withdrawals.... and that's all I need... to be sitting in a cafe trying to type something into my scone.... or wanting to scroll with my iced latte.

Why buy a life when you can build one with a computer? :-D

sapo
June 11th, 2005, 11:39 PM

lol this should be like you:

http://www.xgn.com.br/fr/img/4237c7af09c52.jpg (http://www.xgn.com.br/fr)

The text says: Are you proud for being like this?

kassetra
June 12th, 2005, 12:57 AM
lol this should be like you:
The text says: Are you proud for being like this?

Except I don't live with my parents anymore, but yeah. And I'm damn proud of being like this... heh. mmmmm hello newegg? I need a new printer too...

new hardware++

benplaut
June 12th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Except I don't live with my parents anymore, but yeah. And I'm damn proud of being like this... heh. mmmmm hello newegg? I need a new printer too...

new hardware++

taking donations :roll:

really... why would the (origional topic) mother need a super system for basic stuff? it's overkill :|