PDA

View Full Version : Bill goes to space..

corstar
April 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Has anyone else seen this... Bill might be going into space
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11584-is-bill-gates-planning-a-trip-to-space.html

Once again, MS are just playing catchup.
It would bring a bit of attention to Mark's voyage and maybe Ubuntu too.

Sunnz
April 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
They should have the spaceship to run Windows Vista only and see if Gates dares to travel in it!!!

corstar
April 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
then watch that baby crash.

Somenoob
April 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I think he just wants some time alone from Steve Ballmer

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
They should have the spaceship to run Windows Vista only and see if Gates dares to travel in it!!!
:lolflag:
and yet again it just goes to show you windows is lacking behind linux. :D

use a name
April 14th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I would go too if I could spare the money.

Rab22
April 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would go too if I could spare the money.

Likewise....

Unfortunately, I make just enough to support myself; so I guess space...well it'll just have to wait.

:(

G Morgan
April 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Don't we have a patent on that or something.

DoctorMO
April 15th, 2007, 06:20 AM
The ultimate in fuel burning; while the propellents them selves are hydrogen and oxygen so don't product any CO2; it takes a lot of CO2 to make that fuel in the first place.

the less people into space the better unless their going there to fund NASA and the ESA.

G Morgan
April 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
The ultimate in fuel burning; while the propellents them selves are hydrogen and oxygen so don't product any CO2; it takes a lot of CO2 to make that fuel in the first place.

the less people into space the better unless their going there to fund NASA and the ESA.

How much does the space program use in comparison to 4x4's or general traffic. I'd imagine it produces less than a negligible amount of our emissions. It's kind of like air transport where people see huge vehicles and jump on the emissions band wagon despite the fact that air transport accounts for about 2% of our emissions.

The big causes of GW are:
1. Industry
2. Transport (as in road vehicles)
3. Home Energy
4. Deforestation

Complaining about things like space and air travel is pointless since we can end both entirely and barely scratch the surface. It would be far better to get people to turn off the TV, heating and lights when they aren't being used. That would make a difference.

The problem is once again people are:
1. Getting confused between individual scale and volume.
2. Trying to pass the buck onto a few undesirables in order to mitigate any responsibility they have.

Far better to blame big targets than recognise that the problem is general waste caused by sheer laziness.

rai4shu2
April 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
But who is to blame for general waste and laziness?

G Morgan
April 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
But who is to blame for general waste and laziness?

The laziness is to blame for the waste. It's a simple fact that reducing energy usage actually saves a person money. The fact that people can't even be motivated to save themselves hard cash is a sad position and shows where we are at.

I think the larger problem is people have been brainwashed to consume at all costs. We have a spend thrift society which will too gladly waste what finite resources we have.

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
1 big problem is the worlds population has increased loads in the last 100 years. Then we need more animals to feed us all so animal populations are going up. Then we places to live so we cut down trees, so then there is nothing to absorb CO2

Sunnz
April 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The laziness is to blame for the waste. It's a simple fact that reducing energy usage actually saves a person money. The fact that people can't even be motivated to save themselves hard cash is a sad position and shows where we are at.

I think the larger problem is people have been brainwashed to consume at all costs. We have a spend thrift society which will too gladly waste what finite resources we have.
I think most people actually wants to be lazy and think it is worth to 'pay' for it. Not saying that's the right thing to do though.

P.S. haven't this space thing had already being done by Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Canonical?