PDA

View Full Version : Mac users are irritating

Somenoob
April 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Not all but some are. There is some truth in every stereotype, A friend of mine kept bragging about how "luxurious" his mac was just because it detected some device the moment it was plugged in(like that's something new) and at that point I realized that's how most of them are(I know several others)

Here are some things many of them have in common in my opinion.

* They assume that every PC owner uses Windows
* They are unaware of the existence of GNU/Linux and BSD.
* They keep bashing anything that's not Mac
* They think a lot of common features are exclusive to macs.
* If something isn't simple enough they'll complain
* It's not like any of them know anything about programming yet they think closed is good because their machines are closed.
* They think that a complete hardware and software platform by one developer is good, but it isn't, that means there is no competition, so no wonder it's so expensive. We all know it's beneficial to have alternative hardware vendors.
* They think that apple are the inventors of the first GUI environment, but it's in fact Xerox's work, which Apple copied from them.

anything else that you can thing of ? :)

qamelian
April 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Actually, most of these apply to Windows users as well.

Somenoob
April 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Actually, most of these apply to Windows users as well.

I agree, but it sort of different with users of a software/hardware platform.

Sunnz
April 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM
About Xerox and GUI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76RKoxKEvs

Other than that, I think there are always irritating Zealots of any OS(-religion) anyway...

Skia_42
April 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I think the best point you mentioned is the fact that they are not aware of Linux. Most Mac users pick Apple because they think it is the only alernative to windows.

jhenager
April 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I think the best point you mentioned is the fact that they are not aware of Linux. Most Mac users pick Apple because they think it is the only alernative to windows.

Also, many Mac users are unaware that their OS is a UNIX hack, which gives it a lot of its stability.
However, it does crash, it does get viruses (which is why a company paid me to support Virex for the Mac back in 1993), and it doesn't make toast for you.
I work with a woman that simply cannot keep from mentioning her Mac at every opportunity. She is an average or below average user in terms of competancy, but she thinks owning one somehow makes her cool like the kid in the ads that looks like he got his clothes out of the hamper.

G Morgan
April 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Also, many Mac users are unaware that their OS is a UNIX hack, which gives it a lot of its stability.
However, it does crash, it does get viruses (which is why a company paid me to support Virex for the Mac back in 1993), and it doesn't make toast for you.
I work with a woman that simply cannot keep from mentioning her Mac at every opportunity. She is an average or below average user in terms of competancy, but she thinks owning one somehow makes her cool like the kid in the ads that looks like he got his clothes out of the hamper.

Macs have become unstable because of the junk that Apple have added to an otherwise stable base.

I've heard some horror stories about Mac users in the past. If you want to hear from someone with experience try the Linux Action Show podcast. They are ex Mac users who pretty much abandoned the entire platform because of abuse they were getting when maintaining a Mac centric web site (also they were spending a lot of time with some OS with a penguin as a mascot).

I find many Mac users are hostile to Linux because they think they've paid good money for their comparatively good security and safety. They think that it costs good money and feel like they are special for paying the extra. When they see Linux users get that for free and can run the OS on reasonably old and cheap hardware it makes them question the validity of their platform.