PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Marketing/Flier idea

Puppy fam
April 14th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I've been thinking about a marketing/flier campaign. I have this whole idea... let me know what you think.

---

Any marketing/flier campaign needs to be simple in nature: completely brain-dead simple. No explaining the definition of "free," no computer techno-garble, and no scary words ("install," "new Operating System," etc.). Microsoft got it right with their "Wow" campaign.

Why? It's just too much work to present technical information without invoking negative stereotypes (as the Get A Mac campaign does so well). I've seen other Ubuntu fliers; they're nice. But I think we would be better served in at least looking at starting a "Wow"ish campaign of our own. Will it achieve rock-star status like "Get A Mac"? No way. But it could be an effective marketing tool, if used correctly, in my humble opinion.

Here's my idea. Exploit all the negative feelings people have about Windows (i.e. crashing, instability, costly and never-ending upgrades...) and give one simple, positive point about Ubuntu. Any campaign would need to include a link to a page that gently eases people into Ubuntu. Sending them to ubuntu.com would just confuse most people.

---

These may just be the ramblings of a madman. I don't know. What do you think?

I've attached a few doodles I've drawn up using my idea, although I haven't found one single draft that I've actually liked.

rai4shu2
April 14th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I think the slogan "Free your PC" might work a bit better.

bobbybobington
April 14th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Or perhaps just a picture of the logo with text that that simply says ubuntu, and a short tagline that will give a hint to what it is without the boring details. This way it would feel like it's not trying to sell anything and if it says it's free (gratis) it may sound "too good to be true" to them. By withholding enough information, there'll be a certain sense of mystery to it and that will attract the curious to look into it. It's these curious and more open-minded people who we want to attract. A simple google search will give them a wealth of information.

Puppy fam
April 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I did a desktop bg a while ago like that. (See attachment)

I kind of like the "freedom from your PC" for a reason, rai4shu2 (but your right, it does sound a little odd at first). Mainly because it makes sense, if you think about it. We don't want freedom for our PC's, we want freedom from the annoyances/etc. of Windows... If that makes sense... I don't know. Maybe "free your PC" works better. :D

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
i like the first two ideas. smart, catchy and pleasing to the eye.
one thing though. what ever happened with "linux for human beings"?

Nils Olav
April 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29696&d=1176564097

That would confuse most people.

Rab22
April 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I've been thinking about a marketing/flier campaign. I have this whole idea... let me know what you think.

I've had similar ideas myself. I think a good marketing campaign could do wonders for Linux on the desktop.

Any marketing/flier campaign needs to be simple in nature: completely brain-dead simple. No explaining the definition of "free," no computer techno-garble, and no scary words ("install," "new Operating System," etc.). Microsoft got it right with their "Wow" campaign.

Why? It's just too much work to present technical information without invoking negative stereotypes (as the Get A Mac campaign does so well). I've seen other Ubuntu fliers; they're nice. But I think we would be better served in at least looking at starting a "Wow"ish campaign of our own. Will it achieve rock-star status like "Get A Mac"? No way. But it could be an effective marketing tool, if used correctly, in my humble opinion.

Here's my idea. Exploit all the negative feelings people have about Windows (i.e. crashing, instability, costly and never-ending upgrades...) and give one simple, positive point about Ubuntu. Any campaign would need to include a link to a page that gently eases people into Ubuntu. Sending them to ubuntu.com would just confuse most people.

Agreed.

I think the slogan "Free your PC" might work a bit better.

I like it.

If anyone would like to get working on a project for this together, I'm in.

spinflick
April 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I like the last one best, but would just have "Freedom" underneath, this will make the onlooker think Freedom? from what? then hopefully check out the link.The first two look nice but too much info ( just my opinion) ;)

M$LOL
April 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
In the first flier, I'd say "expensive" instead of "costly", and "Free your PC" (as someone said) instead of "Free yourself from the PC".

Just a couple of thoughts.

You could also do something using extolling language like "revolution" "experience" "pleasure" etc. That's kinda like what M$ do, I'm sure you could do a better job than them ;)

Puppy fam
April 14th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the input. Maybe this flier draft is a bit better?

I agree with Nils Olav, that draft was too complicated and confusing.

mykalreborn, I kept out the "Linux for Human Beings" tag line because I wanted to avoid any stereotypes associated with "Linux." (Although, to be honest, "Linux for Human Beings" is what got me interested in Ubuntu in the first place...

Puppy fam
April 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Here's the same one with "Free your PC".

bobbybobington
April 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
awesome.Perhaps a black and white version or just color in the logo to save $ on ink?