PDA

View Full Version : BBC Denies Doctor Who to Linux and Mac

daynah
April 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Outpost Gallifrey - Classic Series Downloads (http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EEZyVEEFFkZvzHlfOA&tmpl=newsrss&style=feedstyle)

In short, BBC is offering select episodes of the classic series of Doctor Who for free rental off of Azureus (though on the website, it looks like 99 cents) for Americans, but it is only available to Windows XP and Vista. I'm not sure if this is because of something the BBC wanted or because of limitations of Vuze by Azureus.

I think I remember that there was some voting thing that afterwards BBC announced that you would be able to buy episodes online, first just Windows and other OS support (including linux) "soon after." But I thought that this set up wasn't just for Americans.

jgrabham
April 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I wouldnt have thought the beeb would only let windows users use it. Its probabally something to do with Vuze or Azureus.

ComplexNumber
April 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
its due to their DRM policy. its been discussed ad nauseum in the many BBC threads.

prizrak
April 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
It's the Vuze issue rather than BBC. Despite Azureus client using Java and running just fine on all platforms, Vuze can only be run on Windows. What is the reason for it I have no idea but that is how it is...

forrestcupp
April 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
It's BBC's issue for choosing to use that format.

floke
April 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Try this:

www.tv-links.co.uk

DoctorMO
April 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Once again: BBC Worldwide IS NOT the BBC, nor is BBC America the BBC. they are offshoot companies that buy content from the BBC and sell it on to various regions around the world.

since this doesn't concern the BBC directly, I don't know what the discrimination terms for BBC Worldwide is but it's obviously different than the BBC since aunty beeb can't release online content for a single player only.