PDA

View Full Version : Dapper - Edgy - Feisty

cris
April 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
What are the differences between them ? Where do these names come from ?
Now I use 6.10 edgy ,and i want to know if it's worth to change to feisty 7.04 (when the final will be released) . 10x

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
What are the differences between them ? Where do these names come from ?
Now I use 6.10 edgy ,and i want to know if it's worth to change to feisty 7.04 (when the final will be released) . 10x

The names are sort of "made up codenames" that the devs call the releases as they work on them (like Vista was Longhorn), however in linux they tend to stick around. Dapper is an LTS release (if you run a business look here, otherwise its older tech, as a desktop user you probably want to stay current). Edgy is the current stable release. Most users should be using edgy right now. Fesity is the unstable or testing release at the moment. It is scheduled to become the stable release in a week (april 19), although it looks like it might get pushed back slightly. At this point users should consider testing the feisty LiveCD to see if they want to upgrade. If you value stability over all else, wait a few weeks to a month after feisty is released before you upgrade to let them work a few bugs out. If you like the latest and greatest, you can upgrade now. if you like. By June or so I would strongly recommend moving to feisty though.

prizrak
April 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
The previous poster pretty much explained it. Feisty is actually very good and stable for me already and people seem to have less problems with it than they do with Edgy. I would say it's worth upgrading but you might want to wait a month or so as the previous poster said.

SonicSteve
April 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM
The previous poster pretty much explained it. Feisty is actually very good and stable for me already and people seem to have less problems with it than they do with Edgy. I would say it's worth upgrading but you might want to wait a month or so as the previous poster said.

From Dapper to Feisty I haven't seen a lot that a beggining user would notice. I will say though that even though feisty isn't fully released yet it's working very well on a test box of mine. The desktop effects and GLdesktop are working better than beryl ever did. I can't wait till it's released.

prizrak
April 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
From Dapper to Feisty I haven't seen a lot that a beggining user would notice. I will say though that even though feisty isn't fully released yet it's working very well on a test box of mine. The desktop effects and GLdesktop are working better than beryl ever did. I can't wait till it's released.

Weird, the first thing that should stand out is network manager being on by default. Another thing is the little pop up telling you about restricted drivers and offering to install the ones you need. Desktop effects are an obvious one. Tablets are finally working out of the box too, but to notice that you need a tablet ;)

Yes Feisty is unnaturally stable, I haven't seen a crash the entire time I've been using it and I started at Herd 2 out of boredom :)

SonicSteve
April 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Weird, the first thing that should stand out is network manager being on by default. Another thing is the little pop up telling you about restricted drivers and offering to install the ones you need. Desktop effects are an obvious one. Tablets are finally working out of the box too, but to notice that you need a tablet ;)

Yes Feisty is unnaturally stable, I haven't seen a crash the entire time I've been using it and I started at Herd 2 out of boredom :)

I suppose it's just a difference of perspective. Those things are very nice, but for example if you installed windows 98, then 2000, then XP you would notice visually a massive difference. Network manager is quite inconspicuous (though much appreciated), the same is true for the popup message.

Though they seem small, now that these updates exist they are much apprciated. The truth is though that if you install breezy badger and Feisty on systems that are compitible with the version on first glance you won't see much. That doesn't mean that the underlying system isn't massively different though.

I think that this question deserves a good answer. The trouble is that giving such an answer isn't so easy. We need someone who knows much more than I to help here.

igknighted
April 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Perhaps for you, but I have found more problems in feisty than Dapper and Edgy combined. As for noticeable differences, I find that there are some big differences if you look at the nice logout screens and the new splash. I find that Kubuntu is greatly improved visually and overall, just waiting for it to stabilize a bit.

prizrak
April 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Perhaps for you, but I have found more problems in feisty than Dapper and Edgy combined. As for noticeable differences, I find that there are some big differences if you look at the nice logout screens and the new splash. I find that Kubuntu is greatly improved visually and overall, just waiting for it to stabilize a bit.

Well testing is testing obviously it should have issues ;) Perhaps it's a Kubuntu problem? I have found Kubuntu to have some unique issues that Ubuntu doesn't have. It's all individual of course.

igknighted
April 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Well testing is testing obviously it should have issues ;) Perhaps it's a Kubuntu problem? I have found Kubuntu to have some unique issues that Ubuntu doesn't have. It's all individual of course.

Not to hijack this thread, but the issues have been across the board. I'm certainly not looking for support, and I've made sure all these bugs had been reported as I found them.

Most major, and this was only Ubuntu, not Kubuntu, but when I hit ctrl-alt-delete in the beta gdm does not reload. There have been quite a few others that just added up to minor annoyances (network manager and Restricted Driver Manager are TERRIBLE programs), but I guess I never had issues with Dapper and Edgy at this point in their development, so I am a little surprised by these issues. But I have faith, things will be fixed, or hopefully in the case of restricted driver manager removed, never to be seen again :).

prizrak
April 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but the issues have been across the board. I'm certainly not looking for support, and I've made sure all these bugs had been reported as I found them.

Most major, and this was only Ubuntu, not Kubuntu, but when I hit ctrl-alt-delete in the beta gdm does not reload. There have been quite a few others that just added up to minor annoyances (network manager and Restricted Driver Manager are TERRIBLE programs), but I guess I never had issues with Dapper and Edgy at this point in their development, so I am a little surprised by these issues. But I have faith, things will be fixed, or hopefully in the case of restricted driver manager removed, never to be seen again :).

Hehe, I suppose if you gonna believe anything might as well believe that Ubuntu devs know what they are doing ;)

macogw
April 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Most major, and this was only Ubuntu, not Kubuntu, but when I hit ctrl-alt-delete in the beta gdm does not reload.
It's not supposed to...that's ctrl alt backspace. I mapped ctrl alt del to open gnome-system-monitor. It definitely doesn't restart X for me. Or do you mean that when you're logged out you hit ctrl alt del? I've never tried that...

Feisty's been very stable for me too. SD card reader & 3 days of Beryl-breakage have been my biggest issues. And hibernate actually works correctly without causing overheating like it did with Dapper (I avoided it on Edgy because of my experiences with Dapper).

igknighted
April 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
It's not supposed to...that's ctrl alt backspace. I mapped ctrl alt del to open gnome-system-monitor. It definitely doesn't restart X for me. Or do you mean that when you're logged out you hit ctrl alt del? I've never tried that...

Feisty's been very stable for me too. SD card reader & 3 days of Beryl-breakage have been my biggest issues. And hibernate actually works correctly without causing overheating like it did with Dapper (I avoided it on Edgy because of my experiences with Dapper).

right, sorry, typo... i meant ctrl+alt+backspc

cris
April 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Another question : what are the major differences from 6.10 ? What brings new Feisty Fawn ? I read something on ubuntu.com , but wasn't enough . I'm asking the testers

macogw
April 17th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Cris, there's a restricted drivers manager to make installing the proprietary drivers for compositing easier. Compiz is installed by default, and there's wireless roaming set up by default to make things easier for laptop users.

cris
April 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Ok , what do these restricted drivers do ? I installed somt time ago the 7.04 beta , and when i got to the video driver , it all worked fine , and when entering gnome, the restricted drivers manager warned me about something (don't remember what). Also i couldn't enable the desktop effects cause of the video driver.
How can the restricted drivers manager help me ? Actually , how can i use it to do good to my system ? (after installing the driver for my video card GeForce 6600 , all went well until restart. After restarting , X didn't even load , giving me an error message and asking if i want to see the error log) .10x

macogw
April 17th, 2007, 11:40 PM
cris, the restricted driver manager is so you can turn on the drivers that you need to use desktop effects. you were probably using the ones that won't do it and the thing popped up to say "here's what's available" and then if you enabled the non-free driver for your card, you'd be able to get desktop effects. there should just be an "enable" button.

Bunti
April 22nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
Going back to what some other people said previously, I have also had some stability issues with kubuntu feisty. In both the beta and the final, the session froze while I was using the knetworkmanager which didn't correctly detect or allow me to connect to my wpa secured network. Kinfocenter also crashed while I was using it. Dapper was a rock solid stable release. The major advantages of upgrading to edgy or feisty are the new upstart init system which dramatically reduces boot time and the more recent versions of openoffice included that iron out problems in previous versions with opening large documents and powerpoints. I especially like the revamped look and feel in feisty. Once the stability issues with kubuntu feisty are ironed out it will be a great release.

macogw
April 24th, 2007, 03:32 AM

And I got the SD card reader working now! It's a Texas Instruments, so anybody else who has it, check out my blog (http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/04/texas-instruments-sdmmc-card-reader.html) for instructions on making your TI SD card reader work with Feisty. I copied the newer version of the driver plus included fixed kernel modules and tarred them up with a bash script. The bash script will fix the kernel headers and install the new drivers. Let me know if you have any trouble.

JAPrufrock
April 24th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Something that very few people mention - the latest OS releases also often include a more developed suite of supporting programs. For instance Edgy had a later version of OpenOffice, Gnucash, and other programs than Dapper.