PDA

View Full Version : "ubuntu suxors becuase is doesnt have ___"

hardyn
April 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Ok, people! what is hard about this?!

No, out of the box Ubuntu does not come with MP3, flash, adobe, and whatever else; there is method to this madness.

Ubuntu does not come with software and codecs that may pose licensing hazards in some regions. This does not mean that Ubuntu sucks, this does not mean that they have to "get it together", they do not have to try to be "like every other Linux distro." All this stuff can be added, its all in the restricted repositories, just spend a few minutes download what you need any carry on.

I have seen about a bazillion posts like this lately, i think the lack of mp3 etc. out of the box has been beat to death, it is the way it is. For international distribution, it is the only way that Canonical can manage its self.

I know this isn't the majority of users, i just really don't understand why we have to keep dealing with this?

(i do appreciate those that have slow/no internet connection, that is another issue all together)

Quillz
April 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I would imagine that some complaints come from dial-up users who would prefer to not spend a lot of time downloading what are more or less standard (but non-free) codecs. It's somewhat understandable. Look at any other modern operating system (Windows, Mac OS, etc.) and you'll see that all of them have an even mix of free and non-free codecs.

Try using only free codecs and see how far you get.

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Ok, people! what is hard about this?!

No, out of the box Ubuntu does not come with MP3, flash, adobe, and whatever else; there is method to this madness.

Ubuntu does not come with software and codecs that may pose licensing hazards in some regions. This does not mean that Ubuntu sucks, this does not mean that they have to "get it together", they do not have to try to be "like every other Linux distro." All this stuff can be added, its all in the restricted repositories, just spend a few minutes download what you need any carry on.

I have seen about a bazillion posts like this lately, i think the lack of mp3 etc. out of the box has been beat to death, it is the way it is. For international distribution, it is the only way that Canonical can manage its self.

I know this isn't the majority of users, i just really don't understand why we have to keep dealing with this?

(i do appreciate those that have slow/no internet connection, that is another issue all together)

XP couldn't play DVDs out of the box, so I hardly see how this is that different. The problem is people who have never had to set up an OS before are trying to do this. Give them some random box with an empty harddrive and an XP disk and have them go at it... unless they get really lucky with hardware support, they are in BIG trouble. Drivers, codecs, etc. in windows are a nightmare. Linux has done wonders cleaning this up, very few things require 3rd party drivers, the fact that most of these people can CONSIDER installing and configuring it says a lot to how easy linux has become.

So no, it doesn't really help the situation. People like this will always complain because they do not know. But it does give hope, because if configuration is the major complaint, an OEM setup of Linux should then be very appealing with a bit of good marketing.

hardyn
April 14th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not arguing the closed source codecs, i use a whole bunch; but its part of the deal with Ubuntu and Debian, no closed source codecs. It kinda like ordering a plain hamburger, and then complaining that it doesn't have cheese.

I am sympathetic to the slow connections (i did make mention of that), perhaps a closed source codec disk is in order? community maintained of course, i know it would never be official.

LookTJ
April 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Ubuntu doesn't come with Adobe flash OOTB because it's not open source

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Totem-gstreamer now does a very good job detecting and doing automatic downloading of codecs that are needed to play files. As long as players do automatic detecting and downloads of codecs, the average users won't even remember that it wasn't installed by default.

With that said,I still get some sites with vidoes that doesn't work even with the proper codecs installed. One site may work with totem-gstreamer, but doesn't work with totem-xine and vice-versa.

kubuntu on the other-hand has the advantage of having KMplayer(konqueror). KMplayer for konqueror does automaticly switches between mplayer and xine until it plays (in more cases than not). I actually get more compatibility using konqueror than I do firefox because of this. The only problem I had was finding and installing all the codecs manually to get everything working.

Another point that I want to make that is bothering me is that the Adobe Flash for both Konqueror and Firefox are not the same. For example, abcnews.com and foxnews.com videos(they both use adobe flash) does not work with Firefox, but they work great with konqueror. However, msnbc.com (also uses flash) works with firefox, but it doesn't work with Konqueror.

I find it annoying that I have to switch between browsers to get 99% compatibility with the sites I visit. I hope this is something that will Iron out in the long run; thus I'll be able to just pick one browser and expect everything to work.

cobray
April 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM
ubuntu suxors cause of users like hardyn who have to beat to death a topic that has already been beat to death (by his own admission)

FoolsGold
April 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
ubuntu suxors cause of users like hardyn who have to beat to death a topic that has already been beat to death (by his own admission)
ubuntu suxors cause of users like cobray who have to beat to death a user who's beaten to death a topic that has already been beat to death (not by his own admission... yet.)

:)

hardyn
April 14th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I think some of ya'll are miss understanding... i have NO issues with the way things are done... i have no complaints at all... i dont at all mind downloading the codecs, i know why they arn't in by default, thats why the subject was in quotes ""... my issue was with the daily posts complaining that "ubuntu sucks because..." (and who would honeslty make a serious post and use suxors?)

cheers.