PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu comes with everything except...

slimdog360
April 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
What do you think Ubuntu is missing in its default install.

For me its a utility which lets me burn .iso files. Or maybe it does and I've never been able to find it.

edit: yep it does come with a utility to burn .iso files. so I guess I'll have to change my answer to ummm... how about better backgrounds. They should have 10 or so good backgrounds rather then the 3 brown ones.

RaZer0r
April 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
dunno, i allways used gnomebaker, which is is my script i run right after a fresh install...

LookTJ
April 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I use k3b because I use KDE...when I was a GNOME nut, I used Brasero

v8YKxgHe
April 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Insert a new blank CD, click Create Data CD - drag the ISO file onto it (as if you were burning it as a file). It'll then pop up asking if you want to create the disk _from_ the image file, click Yes - then Burn CD =)

I don't think it's missing anything, only things I install afterwards is xChat, Filezilla and gPHPedit ... apart from that, it has it all!

spinflick
April 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I use k3b because I use KDE...when I was a GNOME nut, I used Brasero

I use K3b on Gnome and KDE ;)

RandomJoe
April 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
In Gnome, right-click on the .iso in File Browser and select Write to Disk...

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
In order of priority :)

1) build-essential and checkinstall... no reason the compile tools aren't there, thats really poor judgment IMHO

2) Inkscape or other good scalable vector graphics program

2.5) Why not Krita with KDE? GIMP is a gnome app.

3) Development tools (KDevelop/Anjuta + NVU/BlueFish/Quanta+)

4) Java is open-source now, so when will java be there?

5) Thunderbird Email... Evolution is terrible

stimpack
April 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I seem to remember that ndiswrapper stuff was missing by default. Certainly I thought it very annoying that on my laptop I needed to download from the Internet something that lets me connect to the Internet, bizarre.

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
mono and build-essential installed by default. subversion also. banshee and a desktop search tool - beagle or tracker. epiphany instead of firefox - but that's just me. multisession disk writing. a feed reader installed by default. a better torrent app. that pretty much sums it up for me. :D

happy-and-lost
April 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Maybe Brasero should be included in the GG...

daynah
April 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
burning iso files is definately by default, I've done it on the default install as early as breezy.

I think Ubuntu is missing a gui way to mount things, or mounting during install. This is so vital to a fully functioning computer that it shouldn't require terminal knowledge to do. Remember that Ubuntu is supposed to be so simple that to get it up and running you shouldn't have to touch the terminal. If you're on "minimum terminal usage" you can only use it when things go wrong... oh, and mounting. >< That always frustrates me when I give Ubuntu to someone new. "No, nothing's broken, no you wont have to do stuff like this often, just bare through it and copy and paste, it's easy."

PS, nothing frustrates me more than a buncha people saying, "Well they gotta learn the terminal sometime." Have some heart.

autoexec
April 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
build essential

ahaslam
April 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
build essential
+ 1

For me its a utility which lets me burn .iso files. Or maybe it does and I've never been able to find it.
There's cdrecord

;)

daz4126
April 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I've never understood why inkscape isn't there by default.

Other additions would be

Rails

and

Scribes (although this needs to get in the repos first...)

DAZ

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I've never understood why inkscape isn't there by default.
inkscape would be pretty nice. :D
and i don't understand why we have gthumb and f-spot both installed

orient2000
April 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I think maybe about 90% of people switch to KDE after installation. Why KDE is not an default distribution then? I think a lot of people who install Linux for a firs time get discouraged because GNOME looks and they come back to Windows.

Polygon
April 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
beagle

i think build-essential at least should be installed, so many posts from people who cnat compile cause this isnt installed

the default bittorent client needs to go, and a lightweight torrent client like deluge (once its ready) should take its place.

and java 7 and all other java versions afterward are the ones that are licenced under the GPL, so they should be hitting the repos and maybe even default install after version 7 is finished.

and to orient, well why dont they install kubuntu then? why do they install ubuntu then switch to kde?

and i think gnome looks pretty nice. sure you can tweak both kde/gnome to look cooler but on first run gnome is pretty cool. I still use the human window/icon theme, but have a blue control theme

GeneralZod
April 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think maybe about 90% of people switch to KDE after installation. Why KDE is not an default distribution then? I think a lot of people who install Linux for a firs time get discouraged because GNOME looks and they come back to Windows.

According to this poll, your figures are way, way off:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2424663

How did you arrive at them?

mykalreborn
April 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
According to this poll, your figures are way, way off:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2424663

How did you arrive at them?

i agree. there are a lot of people who don't like kde as there are a lot of people who don't like gnome, or xfce. and plus, if you want a kde ubuntu you can just download kubuntu.

junior aspirin
April 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM
i want the ability to erase a cd/rw or dvd/rw without installing another app. it should show up in the nautilus info bar (where there is a burn to disk button) and also when i right click on the drive icon.

karellen
April 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
ktorrent, a file-manager like krusader

mech7
April 15th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Photoshop, After effects, Flash :popcorn:

Raffo
April 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM
build-essential...

argie
April 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
The kitchen sink, and you can install that (http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/hoary/kde/kitchensync)! Er, well, umm, almost. Yippee for old jokes!

Seriously though, I'd say the commonly used codecs. Installation is simple and easy, but I live in a place where the patents don't apply and I'd like it so even that bit is unnecessary. It is a one time inconvenience, and small, and I really don't mind, after all, for me everything else has been near perfect.

Oh, and erase a cd-rw from nautilus without needing to try burning something to it.

Outrunner
April 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I think I'll add another point to build-essential.It's essential, after all! And I'll also agree that the default torrent client needs to go.

Adamant1988
April 15th, 2007, 03:56 PM
What do you think Ubuntu is missing in its default install.

edit: yep it does come with a utility to burn .iso files. so I guess I'll have to change my answer to ummm... how about better backgrounds. They should have 10 or so good backgrounds rather then the 3 brown ones.

I really can't think of anything that I can't apt-get.

picpak
April 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Here's a list of everything I install in Xubuntu:

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-gl gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse w32codecs libxine-extracodecs gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-pitfdll sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin ivman links2 mingetty supertux frozen-bubble unzip opera grip realplay gftp kolourpaint bittornado bittornado-gui audacity gnome-games sysv-rc-conf alsa-oss fakeroot alien rxvt-unicode audacious audacious-plugins-extra graveman deborphan lame sox liblame0 mjpegtools mkisofs mplayer libmad0 aspell vsound mozplugger m4 amsn preload prelink abiword pan streamtuner streamripper unrar build-essential displayconfig-gtk htop amule frostwire flashplugin-nonfree adesklets conky

If Ubuntu could come with that, I'd be happy. But it can't, so as long as it simplifies the process of installing these, I'll be happy.

mykalreborn
April 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
picpak, you know of course ubuntu can't come with those packages included because some of them are proprietary codecs and such. and plus, if you want a fast install of those programs you can just use automatix instead.

picpak
April 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
picpak, you know of course ubuntu can't come with those packages included because some of them are proprietary codecs and such. and plus, if you want a fast install of those programs you can just use automatix instead.

Exactly, that's why I said it can't. I usually just run a script that sets all these things up for me (or I use Add/Remove).

karellen
April 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I really can't think of anything that I can't apt-get.

I second this

cody50
April 17th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I would like them to put back in disks-admin that they had in dapper, but left out of later versions.

Dcox
April 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Picasa :) Can't apt-get Picasa ...
Easy installation anyway ....

nsleiman
April 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM
i will vote for winmodem support (even that i dont use a modem but its nice to have everything working :) ) else.. hmmm nothing :guitar:

Pobega
April 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Why all the votes for build-essential? I'd think that most people don't need it, since almost everything is available in binary packages.

My vote goes to K3B. It is without a doubt the best burning software available under GNU/Linux.