PDA

View Full Version : coffee question

Somenoob
April 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Who else here feels more clever after a cup?

Any other beneficial effects you get?

cantormath
April 14th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Who else here feels more cleverer after a cup?

my email is Coffee@<myschool>.edu

and my email signature is

" A Mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." -Erdös, Paul
Nov. 1992

I am a math grad so it fits.

Clever at least indeed.

Legionox
April 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I certainly do!

kevinf311
April 14th, 2007, 08:38 AM
+1

Days that I don't have coffee are usually much less productive than days that I do. I'm more focused, happier, and usually quicker on the uptake.

I wish I had a good job to support the habit though. I'm forced to use generic beans from the local food store. But when your favorite Hawaiian Kona costs $30USD a pound, you make do :)

My method of choice currently is Percolator, but I'm in the market for a Vacuum pot as I've been told the flavor is better (less heating/cooling/heating than with the Perc). When entertaining, the espresso machine is the real contender as some of my friends prefer flavored frilly drinks. There's a Drip in my bedroom that was intended to be a Coffee flavored alarm clock, but mostly it just sits there as I don't need to be up at a regular time this semester.

I'm tired and rambling though, so I'm going to go to sleep and dream about making a fresh pot tomorrow. G'night all.

hoheszeh
April 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
when we run out of coffee in our shared appartment there is usually black tea around. but honestly what is a cup of hot water compared with a strong black coffee?

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
when we run out of coffee in our shared appartment there is usually black tea around. but honestly what is a cup of hot water compared with a strong black coffee?

Don't knock tea, it has its place. But yeah, I <3 coffee.

EdThaSlayer
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Caffeine makes the world go around, think of how many people that will just stop working due to lack of the black liquid in their cups?

dreadlord_chris
April 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
it makes me poop \\:D/
:lolflag:

Fascination
April 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I need at least one cup to wake up in the morning - people at work have learnt I get grumpy if I dont get that one cup before coming into the office and sometimes even have one waiting. ;)

happy-and-lost
April 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Makes me feel daft that I'd want to drink anything so foul tasting.

Tea, however...

fuscia
April 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
"i see some coffee and i want to drink it bla-ack..." - rolling stones

stunned idiot without it.

celsofaf
April 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
how many people that will just stop working due to lack of the black liquid in their cups?

Me.

jgrabham
April 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Anything with Caffene cofee, tea, diet coke, coke - the best because the sugar affects you too!

macogw
April 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Makes me feel daft that I'd want to drink anything so foul tasting.

Tea, however...

yeah, coffee's scent is even too strong to be bearable. i mean, i drink my tea strong and black (usually, sometimes my mom will put some soymilk in), and it's often Earl Grey, but that's nothing compared to how much of an assault coffee is upon the senses.

der_joachim
April 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM
"i see some coffee and i want to drink it bla-ack..." - rolling stones

stunned idiot without it.

That has to be the worst put I've read/heard in weeks. I salute you, sir. ;)

Back on topic: coffee does make me feel sharper. It helps me concentrate.

ibanezix
April 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Here in Cyprus, due to the warm climate and the natural lazyness 8-) , we favor an iced version of instant coffee, we call frape. Ideally, it comes in big glasses of 500ml, and it's sipped over a timespan of up to more than two hours. In order for the coffee and optionally the sugar to dissolve we stir it with something like this (http://www.vseprorodinu.cz/images/imph26113.jpg) (works on AC or DC). Here is what a frape looks like:

http://www.greekshops.com/newsletters_archive/December_2005/images/frappe.jpg

Nothing like a large homemade frape for the long programming hours.

fuscia
April 18th, 2007, 06:01 PM
That has to be the worst put I've read/heard in weeks. I salute you, sir. ;)

just doin' my part.

karellen
April 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
coffee + black idea all over the way for me :)

conorobyrne
April 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Working IS coffee for me. I work for a company that makes coffee machines, so there's always great coffee to be had in the canteen.

Living the dream of coffee lovers.

ibanezix
April 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I work for a company that makes coffee machines

What software do they ran? :D

conorobyrne
April 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Gotta use Windows for SolidWorks I'm afraid.

celsofaf
April 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Working IS coffee for me. I work for a company that makes coffee machines, so there's always great coffee to be had in the canteen.

Living the dream of coffee lovers.

I hate you! :popcorn: :KS :D :D

cstudent
April 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Who else here feels more clever after a cup?

Any other beneficial effects you get?

I usually just feel the need to tinkle.

justin whitaker
April 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
yeah, coffee's scent is even too strong to be bearable. i mean, i drink my tea strong and black (usually, sometimes my mom will put some soymilk in), and it's often Earl Grey, but that's nothing compared to how much of an assault coffee is upon the senses.

That is part of the appeal! Nothing like the smell of really good coffee brewing when you get out of bed.

Oh, the health benefits of <2 cups per day are decreased risk of heart disease, less chance of certain types of cancer (mainly in the gastointestinal tract), and increased sex drive.

Ok, I made that last one up. Just checking if you are paying attention. :D

No benefits of more than 2 cups, outside of alertness, inability to sleep, the diuretic effects, etc.

macogw
April 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
That is part of the appeal! Nothing like the smell of really good coffee brewing when you get out of bed.

Oh, the health benefits of <2 cups per day are decreased risk of heart disease, less chance of certain types of cancer (mainly in the gastointestinal tract), and increased sex drive.

Ok, I made that last one up. Just checking if you are paying attention. :D

No benefits of more than 2 cups, outside of alertness, inability to sleep, the diuretic effects, etc.

Bleh, I can't stand the smell. Starbucks is the worst because theirs is overly strong. I used to run for coffee at the place where I used to work, and it'd usually be to the cafe in B&N (2 doors away) which served Starbucks coffee (across the street from Starbucks :p), but it wasn't uncommon for the guys to say "can you go to mcdonalds for the good coffee this time? that starbucks stuff is TERRIBLE!" then mcd's started serving "bold" coffee to imitate starbucks and i had to specifically ask for the old-style non-starbucks-y kind.

macogw
April 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Here in Cyprus, due to the warm climate and the natural lazyness 8-) , we favor an iced version of instant coffee, we call frape. Ideally, it comes in big glasses of 500ml, and it's sipped over a timespan of up to more than two hours. In order for the coffee and optionally the sugar to dissolve we stir it with something like this (http://www.vseprorodinu.cz/images/imph26113.jpg) (works on AC or DC). Here is what a frape looks like:

http://www.greekshops.com/newsletters_archive/December_2005/images/frappe.jpg

Nothing like a large homemade frape for the long programming hours.

Are those uncommon somewhere? They're certainly not a Cyprus-only thing. Americans drink them too..frappes, lattes, frapuccinos...all kinds of mixed things

tkjacobsen
April 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
It is not really about feeling more clever... It just isn't possible to do any good work without coffee.

justin whitaker
April 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Bleh, I can't stand the smell. Starbucks is the worst because theirs is overly strong. I used to run for coffee at the place where I used to work, and it'd usually be to the cafe in B&N (2 doors away) which served Starbucks coffee (across the street from Starbucks :p), but it wasn't uncommon for the guys to say "can you go to mcdonalds for the good coffee this time? that starbucks stuff is TERRIBLE!" then mcd's started serving "bold" coffee to imitate starbucks and i had to specifically ask for the old-style non-starbucks-y kind.

Heh. I love the dark roast style coffee. I usually brew my own: I have a Braun Coffee Maker that grinds the beans and then brews them. Essential!

Starbucks is ok, it's better than the free swill we have at work. Pretty funny about McD....I guess Newman's Own is lost on your coworkers. :)

esaym
April 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
more cleaver
more stronger
more stinkier breath
more awake
more talkative
more productive
more happier
and generally just more gooder after a cup:KS

diskotek
April 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
i'm one of those coffee-freak...

in the mornings i made filter-coffee (2 cups) for waking up
in the evening i have turkish coffee (nice'n easy) or espresso (i bought that oven-top thing, caffetiera?, great!)
around mid-night i make another filter-coffee (but decaff, yeah it's not so great). but i'm on studying.... normal coffee.... i can't count the cups)

my favorite brand is illy, but it's so expensive, or lavazza (eh good price if you compare to illy); or jacobs monarch (only for filter coffee, cheap!!!). sometimes i buy some colombian coffee (narito supremo) or sumatran coffee, or kenya coffee....

in summer i like to drink Frappe!, it's very very popular in greece & cyprus. when i'm in these countries i filled up with frappe. however i hate using nestle products, sometimes i buy instant coffee and i made my own frappe with hand mixer that designed for frappe :) ) poli orea bre!

one of my dream to have cimbali machines..haha they are so expensive & big for my kitchen. ok, i saw some nice & small espresso machines also... anyways i'mnice with my oven-top one :D

my next project is having a coffee-grounder.. i got sick to ground it at starbucks or at my friends bar..

coffee, it's a way of life, or just makes us more nervous?

"[B]Tea, tea and coffee helps to start the day
Tea, tea and coffee shaking all the way
City's alive and, surprise, so am I
Tea, tea and coffee get no sleep today"

blur, you're so great (1997, blur)

diskotek
April 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Are those uncommon somewhere? They're certainly not a Cyprus-only thing. Americans drink them too..frappes, lattes, frapuccinos...all kinds of mixed things

you can't believe in your eyes if you visit greece & cyprus... they only drink frappe! i think it's one of the national drink for them...

yeah it's not original greek or cypriot drink but it's mostly consumed in these countries.

wesley_of_course
April 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Alarm goes off,
Stumble upstairs,
Make pot of coffee ,
Turn ' puter on
Let dog out ,
Pour coffee , slurp some ( its hot )
Let dog in
sl - drink some more
Give dog a treat and fresh water
Sip second cup
Check e-mail
Pour third cup
fly downstairs , ( don't want to be late for work ! ) being careful not to spill any
Grab another and hit the door after turn'in coffee pot and compuert off

5:00 ( After work )
Stop at Starbucks !
House Blend Bold Please ! Venti !
Sip till dark , its usually gone by then ,
Fix and eat dinner , maybe a little TV , most times not
Got to bed.

Alarm goes off,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 8)