PDA

View Full Version : Do you search via tags or use the regular search?

ubuntu-geek
April 14th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I am looking for feedback regarding the tags that are assigned to various threads through out the forum.

The question is.. Do you search via tags or use the regular search?

Dainn
April 14th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I usually try a regular search first, and depending on how many threads it pulls up, usually way to many, I will then use the tags. I think I probably use tags more now than I did at first.

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I always forget that we have tags, and so I just do the normal search. Never occurs to me to do a tag search. Shouldn't the two searches be merged? Seems like the logical approach.

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I prefer the tags method. I think it would be awesome if everyone could rank the tags or add user defined tags to an OP. That way if someone posts a "help me" question, and it turns out to be a known bug found in launchpad, another user could add the bug number to it. Not sure that's an option, but it sure would be slick.

TravisNewman
April 14th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Since clicking on "Search" brings up the menu and the search box at the top is a regular search, I almost always forget there's a tag search at the bottom of the menu. But I've tried the tag search a couple of times and it seems to be pretty spiffy.

FuturePilot
April 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I don't think I've ever done a tag search. I just use the little search in the top corner. But I find what helps is to pick out key words instead of searching for phrases. For example, I pick out words that I think people with a similar issue would have set as tags for their post.

STREETURCHINE
April 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
didnt even know about the tag search till now.will have to give it a go

jfinkels
April 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Never used a tag search, always normal search.

Bigbluecat
April 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Never used tag search. Always seems automatic to just find the search box and enter something that may bring up useful threads.

super.rad
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Use a normal search then if it brings up too many results i'll do a tag search to narrow it down

EdThaSlayer
April 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I just use the normal search, but I thought that searches were done via tags, where if you type "I need kernels" it would search for "I", "need", "kernels" and not "I need kernels". Guess I was wrong. :(

bapoumba
April 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Voted "regular searches". Never used tag search :/
(I use google search on UF a lot, and own UF search when google search does not bring up what I am looking for).

Cloudy
April 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Regular search. I always forget we have tag search.

energiya
April 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I prefer searching using google and adding "ubuntuforums". For some reason I find things more easy this way.

ubuntu-geek
April 15th, 2007, 02:17 AM
bump looking for more input :)

ComplexNumber
April 15th, 2007, 02:28 AM
rather than people inputting their own tags, how about having a relatively long list of predefined tags?
the reason being is that i've seen some really unhelpful and useless tags such as "arrrrhhhhhhh" and heeeeeeelppp".

and maybe make it so that the thread creator has to assign at least 1 tag to their own thread.