PDA

View Full Version : Deb vs Bin vs Source?

samjh
April 14th, 2007, 03:12 AM
When I first started using Linux, I always relied on repositories for installing software. But with more experience, I find that compiling and installing from source-code is quite easy and very flexible, and beginning to prefer installing that way.

What is your experience with installing software in Ubuntu? Do you prefer using Deb files or the repository, using binary installation files, or compiling and installing from source-code?

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I prefer to use the repository first because your software always stays up-to-date with very little effort. I like using *.deb packages second because when I'm missing a dependency, apt-get fetches them for me. Compiling from source has its own advantages, but I believe the advantages of the other two outweighs the advantages of compiling.

Shay Stephens
April 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Repository, then deb for me. I can't get stuff to compile to save my life. Binary files have worked ok for me, but I dont run across them too often.

SunnyRabbiera
April 14th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I primarily use debs, binarys second and source last.
Debian installers are very easy to install, source and binaries are alright but only if you have no options.

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I'm the same as everyone else. Prefer debs, then bins, then source. That's really why I'm even using Ubuntu; If I wanted to just use source code, I would probably use Gentoo or Sabayon...but I like how little maintanence is needed for Debian-based systems, and that's why I use tem.

aysiu
April 14th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Repositories. No muss, no fuss. Automatic updates, easy searching.