PDA

View Full Version : The way kubuntu should look like by default. (image)

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I just recently switched from ubuntu to kubuntu, and I was disappointed at first . The layout didn't look or feel consistent with ubuntu, xubuntu, and edubuntu's layout; however, my dilemma with KDE/QT applications compelled me to configure kubuntu to make it look consistent with the other buntus. :popcorn:

Here is my result:
http://members.cox.net/xeratule/kubuntudm4.jpg

After I did the above, the interface grew on me and I no longer miss regular ubuntu (well that's a lie, I still miss gdebi). With that said, I believe the kubuntu team should make the default interface set-up in the same way that I have it.

Am I wrong?

edit: resized it.

FuturePilot
April 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I miss Gdebi too, that's why I installed it:-P
I think that looks too much like Gnome. But Linux is all about customization, so to each his own.;-)

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM
yeah, uhh.....no. KDE is not supposed to look like Gnome, and to make it do so by default would be, well, a little moronic. In fact, Xubuntu is not even supposed to look like Gnome, that's a huge mistake on the developers' part, imho. XFCE has it's own style and feel, and that's what it should be like. The layout of the *buntus is not supposed to be consistent. Each is supposed to have its own unique personality and feel, that's why they even exist in the first place.

question; why're you using kde if you prefer gnome?

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 02:41 AM
yeah, uhh.....no. KDE is not supposed to look like Gnome, and to make it do so by default would be, well, a little moronic. In fact, Xubuntu is not even supposed to look like Gnome, that's a huge mistake on the developers' part, imho. XFCE has it's own style and feel, and that's what it should be like. The layout of the *buntus is not supposed to be consistent. Each is supposed to have its own unique personality and feel, that's why they even exist in the first place.

The reason why I believe it should be consistent is because the others have that look including XFCE. However, I do understand your position on the matter.

answer: I like the KDE apps better. (k3b, Amarok, and kmid are a few examples).

OO7TDD
April 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I was never a fan of the default KDE desktop and have to say that I as well configured my desktop to appear as yours does. Granted with more modification but non the less reminiscent of default Ubuntu Gnome desktop. While for myself, i would prefer it as the default, many choose Kubuntu because of there preference to KDE over Gnome. Leaving it as is would most likely be better. Anyway, the beauty of it all is that anyone can configure it however they want. Kudos on the layout, its very clean.

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I was never a fan of the default KDE desktop and have to say that I as well configured my desktop to appear as yours does. Granted with more modification but non the less reminiscent of default Ubuntu Gnome desktop. While for myself, i would prefer it as the default, many choose Kubuntu because of there preference to KDE over Gnome. Leaving it as is would most likely be better. Anyway, the beauty of it all is that anyone can configure it however they want. Kudos on the layout, its very clean.

Thanks.:guitar:

I understand where the KDE users are coming from, but at least I know I have the ability to configure it (It wasn't hard). BTW, I'm very interested in knowing the other modifications you added.

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Thanks.:guitar:

I understand where the KDE users are coming from, but at least I know I have the ability to configure it (It wasn't hard). BTW, I'm very interested in knowing the other modifications you added.
I'm not against the modifications that you made at all; I think it's good that you changed it to make it more comfortable for yourself. What I said no to was making that kind of a look "default" for Kubuntu. That probably wouldn't be pretty.

You should play some more with kicker; you can do stuff like make the panel transparent, put another image or color there, etc. I find the default kicker in Kubuntu to be not too pretty. I guess I go more for the functional look. Here's what my desktop looked like a month or so ago (attachment). The only thing different now is the wallpaper and beryl themes. But, those panels are all on auto-hide, to provide more screen space. I think it's a cool example of what you can achieve when messing around with stuff, and breaking the convention.

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I'm not against the modifications that you made at all; I think it's good that you changed it to make it more comfortable for yourself. What I said no to was making that kind of a look "default" for Kubuntu. That probably wouldn't be pretty.

You should play some more with kicker; you can do stuff like make the panel transparent, put another image or color there, etc. I find the default kicker in Kubuntu to be not too pretty. I guess I go more for the functional look. Here's what my desktop looked like a month or so ago (attachment). The only thing different now is the wallpaper and beryl themes. But, those panels are all on auto-hide, to provide more screen space. I think it's a cool example of what you can achieve when messing around with stuff, and breaking the convention.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try them out.

TravisNewman
April 14th, 2007, 03:29 AM

I'm a BIG fan of that setup. Makes me want to play with KDE again (I go through that phase once every 4 or 5 months... never stick)

Looks like you did all that with just default stuff in KDE, am I right?

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I'm a BIG fan of that setup. Makes me want to play with KDE again (I go through that phase once every 4 or 5 months... never stick)

Looks like you did all that with just default stuff in KDE, am I right?
yeah. The panels are all instances of Kicker. The one on the left is my menu and icons for some apps that I use often. Bottom left is also a normal kicker panel with the "Taskbar" applet, to display the windows I have open. Bottom right is another normal kicker panel with System Tray, Clock, and Trash. Transparency and window borders by Beryl, the superkaramba widgets are some favorites of mine that I've found over the past few months. My favorite part about my setup is that the panels are auto-hide, so they actually give me some additional screen space, which always welcome.

Another awesome feature that I love to use; hotkeys. If you right click on your KMenu button, and click Edit Menu, you can set shortcuts for applications. I use multi-key shortcuts...My standard format is Ctrl + Super + [two letters from the name of the app]. So Firefox is Ctrl + Super + F + I, Azureus is A + Z, amarok is A + M, etc.

darweth
April 14th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Hello. I am a GNOME-addict desperately trying to find comfort in KDE. I am not sure why. I just figure it would be best if I am supremely comfortable with two DEs as opposed to one. I tried the open/flux-boxes and they worked nice, but I am a bells and whistles DE lover as opposed to a minimalist. I also tried e17 without success. Xfce 4.4 was pretty good but not for me.

Anyway, here is my attempt to make KDE have a slight resemblance to GNOME. ;) Well, with the top panel at least. The bottom panel auto-hides!!!

TheMono
April 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I used to be a gnome addict too! Now actually it is my least favourite of the DE's. My desktop is now running Kubuntu, and my laptop flies along with Xubuntu. I have them both set up to look quite similar though. I do like the two panel thing, though I prefer having the task switcher along the top, and a launcher along the bottom (on my laptop, and on the primary screen of my desktop)

kvonb
April 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Hello. I am a GNOME-addict desperately trying to find comfort in KDE. I am not sure why. I just figure it would be best if I am supremely comfortable with two DEs as opposed to one. I tried the open/flux-boxes and they worked nice, but I am a bells and whistles DE lover as opposed to a minimalist. I also tried e17 without success. Xfce 4.4 was pretty good but not for me.

Anyway, here is my attempt to make KDE have a slight resemblance to GNOME. ;) Well, with the top panel at least. The bottom panel auto-hides!!!

Hey darweth,

Nice layout, where can I get that fabbo wallpaper?

Thanks, Kev :)

PS. on the subject of KDE: Every time I see that hideous blue mixer icon the hair curls on the back of my neck! Takes me straight back to the nightmares of Linux/FreeBSD in 1998!

There's just something about KDE that doesn't sit well with me, I don't know what it is, and I can't describe it, but each time I try using it I just end up switching back to Gnome!

Oh and for some really nice menu layouts, try "kbfx", VERY nice :).

I attached an old screenie of KDE on Edgy running kbfx so you can get an idea of the amazing customisations you can do with KDE.

PPS. Oh and you don't have to run the KDE desktop in order to use KDE apps, they work just the same under Gnome. I prefer "ksnapshot" and "amarok", and "shisen-sho" is the best "simple" game ever, I would switch back to Microsoft if that were ever to be removed from Ubuntu!!!! Well, maybe not ;).

PPPS. All the stuff I used for customisation can be found here: http://wamrfixit.homeip.net/webshare/edgy/themes/ the kde specific stuff is in the kde folder.

.................................................. ..............................................

darweth
April 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Hehe! I stole the wallpaper from someone on the desktop thread. It can be found at:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Parq?content=55486

kvonb
April 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Hehe! I stole the wallpaper from someone on the desktop thread. It can be found at:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Parq?content=55486

Haha, yeah I just got it from there too :).

I also got a ton of really nice new ones from art4linux.org while I was at it, well worth a look.

Thanks, Kev :)

marquedios
April 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I use to also be a GNOME person but the only real reason behind it was that RedHat 8.0 made it the default desktop unless you customized the install. I use to switch DE's on occasion to try and get use to KDE just because once I messed with it, I like the customizability of it. Now I run Kubuntu fiesty on the laptop, edgy on the desktop and ubuntu server on the web server. I've also been trying to figure out why I can't get away from one of the many vista like themes with Beryl and the only thing I can think of is that I hate microsoft so much that I have to mimic its look so that when others see my computer they ask "is that vista?" and I twirl my cube and say "can vista do that?" :P.

My kmenu is now actually the suse kickoff menu... yes I know its by novell but they do kick out some decent stuff, so as long as they kick out GPL software I'll be using some of it :P. Too bad I'm still just a novice programmer otherwise I'd fork it and run :P.

Nils Olav
April 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I think you should have made this a poll.

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
i agree with maniacmusician. kde is not suposed to look like gnome. and neither is xfce. why would you want to make them look the same anyway. part of the difference bewteen the environments is that they look different.

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I think you should have made this a poll.

Done.

dspari1
April 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
i agree with maniacmusician. kde is not suposed to look like gnome. and neither is xfce. why would you want to make them look the same anyway. part of the difference bewteen the environments is that they look different.

I understand that xfce, kde, and gnome have their own default look; however, since the devs made xubuntu look like gnome by default, wouldn't it make sense for them to do the same kubuntu? Why should kubuntu look like the oddball of the bunch? It's a matter of consistency for me.

However, if the devs changed the default look of xubuntu to the standard xfce, then I agree thak kubuntu should remain with the KDE defaults.

Pikestaff
April 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I think that the beauty of KDE is that you can make it look how you want it to. You can make it Gnome-ish or Windows-ish or Mac-ish, or you can create a sort of hybrid. But I don't think it should be all customized like that by default.

Here's the way I've made mine look:

Rhapsody
April 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I tried the 'two bar' approach, but was put off by how only one of the bars could auto-hide. I like having the maximum space to do stuff, hence the minimal Kicker auto-hides after 1 second, and the fact that I use KDE2 window decorations with Light Style, 3rd revision.

I keep thinking about new icons and stuff, but I'll probably be doing that with Feisty Fawn.

(BTW, thank pngcrush for getting the screenshot below the filesize limit.)

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I tried the 'two bar' approach, but was put off by how only one of the bars could auto-hide. I like having the maximum space to do stuff, hence the minimal Kicker auto-hides after 1 second, and the fact that I use KDE2 window decorations with Light Style, 3rd revision.

I keep thinking about new icons and stuff, but I'll probably be doing that with Feisty Fawn.

you can make all, none, or some of the bars auto-hidable. For instance, see my screenshot on the first page. I have all three of my kickers on auto-hide.

mykalreborn
April 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM
However, if the devs changed the default look of xubuntu to the standard xfce, then I agree thak kubuntu should remain with the KDE defaults.
i agree. they should change xubuntu's default look. but the fact that they didn't do that yet doesn't mean that they should make kde look like gnome. two wrongs don't make a right... or something like that... :p

YoungGods
April 15th, 2007, 03:12 AM

That's how I see it too.
Each one should be unique. Maybe an option or "unified" theme but I like things to feel "different" when I change my DE. :D
By the way here's my KDE desktop
http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/113758/large/1_snapshot2.png

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/113758/large/1_snapshot3.png

Rhapsody
April 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
you can make all, none, or some of the bars auto-hidable. For instance, see my screenshot on the first page. I have all three of my kickers on auto-hide.

I'm trying to get a similar set-up, but I can't seem to resize any of the additional bars or auto-hide them. The KDE help seems a bit obtuse too. Is there a topic or site around to help with all this? I love KDE, but it's rather complex...

bailout
April 16th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'm trying to get a similar set-up, but I can't seem to resize any of the additional bars or auto-hide them. The KDE help seems a bit obtuse too. Is there a topic or site around to help with all this? I love KDE, but it's rather complex...

It is probably a problem with system settings. IIRC the options to set properties for different bars doesn't show up in the system settings screen (I assume it is part of the same dumbing down approach that removed options from konq). If you run kcontrol from the run dialog then you will be able to set the bars individually. I use a 2 bar setup similar to gnome on my desktop at the moment with just one of them on autohide.

In answer to the OP, no, I don't think kubuntu should be gnomified. Xubuntu should return to looking like xfce as well. Kubuntu's default look could be improved but shouldn't just copy gnome. Different icons and colour would be a better way.

Quillz
April 16th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I really don't like your setup at all. The default layout of Kubuntu 7.04 is fine, in my opinion, and it's very easy to change as it is. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

racoq
April 16th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I understand that xfce, kde, and gnome have their own default look; however, since the devs made xubuntu look like gnome by default, wouldn't it make sense for them to do the same kubuntu? Why should kubuntu look like the oddball of the bunch? It's a matter of consistency for me.

Leave Xubuntu the way it is, i like it that way.You guys can't make that decisions. It was like me starting to say to kde or gnome users to change the way their DE feels, maybe then you would know what i mean.

In fact i agree that Xubuntu looks similar to Gnome, because in a enterprise that have ubuntu installed on their machines, sometimes they have older machines that need a face lift, and naturally they install xubuntu. So in a big enterprise, users with boths DE wont have to adjust to each others because the UI is similar. And enterprises normally prefer an unified desktop experience (the same apps, similar look and feel), plus both use the same backbone for graphical apps the GTK 2 toolkit. So i see plenty of reasons why gnome an XFCE in ubuntu are configured to remain almost equal.

KDE although is from a different bread of DE. IMO haves too much configurations, and is to much complicated for enterprises (they simply don't like to waste time on configuring pointless parameters of an DE) and the majority of users in terms of usability.

People like simplicity, and in this matter Gnome and Xfce must coexist like brothers inside ubuntu philosophy

muguwmp67
April 16th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I don't mind the UI layout being different between the buntu's. I do think it would be nice if they shared the common color scheme. I uninstalled kubuntu because it was just too much work to get rid of the cold blue feel to its UI. I like xubuntu's functionality, but the 'dead rat gray' default color scheme leaves something to be desired.

wxnker
April 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
You got to be kidding?

I answered "hell NO". KDE is not Gnome (thank God). If people are used to Gnome (and want to use KDE) they can edit the menu's to look like that in a minute or two, but should this be the default style of Kubuntu/kde? No way! Ask the same question in a forum for a kde based distro and the poll will show 101% no...
And what's up with the "kde is complex" thing? It really isn't and the usability is far better than in Gnome.

KDE is so great. It kicks Gnome's b*tt all day long... :biggrin: \\:D/

i agree. they should change xubuntu's default look. but the fact that they didn't do that yet doesn't mean that they should make kde look like gnome. two wrongs don't make a right... or something like that...
Amen.

MRiGnS
April 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I really like the way kubuntu looks by default.

wxnker
April 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM

You need to do the changes from kcontrol. Editing the panels by "right clicking a panel and choosing settings" does not work for multiple panels (Main panel only). Do this:
- add the panels you want
- go to kcontrol (control center) and choose "desktop"
- choose panel
- select the panel you want to modify from the drop down menu
- change width, position, autohide or whatever you want to change

:)

Attached a screenshot with a couple of theoretical examples on my desktop. (I don't use them myself though so the upper panel is empty etc.)

wxnker
April 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM

See the post above for instructions on auto hiding different panels. This is possible with no problems.

GL

Cheers :)

AGS
April 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I took the other turn - in the time I had Gnome and KDE parallel on my box I quickly turned the Gnome into something I was more used to. As I worked with Windows since Win95, this happened to be the KDE way of menu location - everything on the bottom. I even put the bar the programs hide in (can't remember the name right now, godsdamn!) on top of the Gnome menu bar (two taskbars on the bottom).

When I started Ubuntu with Gnome I was happy to see some things I so liked back in AMIGA times - e. g., the menu on top. I remember in Win95 I had put the WinBar on top too, but for the sake of accessing other peoples machine more easily I put it back down not long after. And that was the start of the Menu button at the bottom...

aleska
April 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Here's what my desktop looked like a month or so ago (attachment). The only thing different now is the wallpaper and beryl themes. But, those panels are all on auto-hide, to provide more screen space. I think it's a cool example of what you can achieve when messing around with stuff, and breaking the convention.

Maniacmusician, I really like the widgets you are using. I've recently "converted" to kubuntu, aka the darK side, and quickly learned about superkaramba. I'm using the TuxBrothers System monitor, but I like the various widgets you are using. Can you share what they are...where to get them?
Thanks!

graabein
April 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. Ubuntu should look like it does (GNOME setup) and Xubuntu should look more like the default Xfce desktop. Same goes for Kubuntu.

Ubuntu is brown/orange, Xubuntu is grey-blue and Kubuntu I guess is bright blue. At least their logos and colour palettes are. So I think they should have different panel layouts according to DE and colour themes according to Ubuntu flavour. The default wallpaper should be the same, but in a separate colour, like with the Mac (see this page (http://www.themedifferent.com/themes/sinorca/assets/sinorca/page2/page2.html)). I'm not sure about the icons. Tango for everyone? Anyway that's how I see it.

pirothezero
April 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I like it.

I am/was the same way with kde. I use kde on a computer at school and I just have to make it look like gnome. Your reason is valid for me, i like kde apps better so i would probably do it but i still like gnome too. Its a back and forth relationship with me.

Paul41
April 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I prefer Gnome over KDE, but even with that said I don't think they should make KDE look like Gnome by default. It should be up to the user to decide if they want to make those changes.

lazyrussian
April 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I was a windows user before I came to ubuntu. I use the Kubuntu and I set it up to look like a mac.

Here is what it looked like about a month ago - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50746080/

A few things have changed since then (I addeed beryl and changed the wallpaper)

aleska
April 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Here is what it looked like about a month ago - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50746080/

Lazyrussian, what are those widgets?

daynah
April 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
As much as I think KDE is the ugliest desktop environment... ever!

You KDE weirdos should have your "choice," even if it's the wrong choice. ;) ;)

lazyrussian
April 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Aleska,

They are Superkaramba Widgets.
Liquidweather++
Aero-Clock (I think that's what it's called)
dbKalendar