PDA

View Full Version : OSX Leopard delay... a good thing

chalimac
April 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
It won't ship until October. That means it will be matched against Gutsy (Feisty+1).

I can't even figure what will the compiz/beryl boys pull out in these 6 months.

And the release will coincide with KDE4!

Bad timing, Apple.

bashologist
April 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I've seen videos on youtube of leopard and it looks great. I've never used a mac but this looks good. I think the delay will only make it better. Also, the reason for the delay is they wanna get some iphone thing done first.

chalimac
April 14th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I've seen videos on youtube of leopard and it looks great.

It must be taken for granted that OSX "looks" good. But will it "be" good enough to match the pace of development that free software is showing?

PS. I run some OSXish icons and fonts in my kubuntu. That's one thing I concede they do well.

%hMa@?b<C
April 14th, 2007, 01:57 AM
yes. Steve Jobs and the crew do know how to make stuff shiny. Cant say much else for them though!

bashologist
April 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
It must be taken for granted that OSX "looks" good. But will it "be" good enough to match the pace of development that free software is showing?

PS. I run some OSXish icons and fonts in my kubuntu. That's one thing I concede they do well.

I think it will. They have lots of preinstalled software; I can't remember it all but there's, finder , time machine, workspaces like linux, widgets, they got some good stuff on there. It's looking very good from what I saw on youtube.

It's expensive, but I hope they beat microsoft in the end and get the prices down. Again, I've never used a mac before. People are hard on them especially windows users, but I don't think us linux users should be.

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I think it will. They have lots of preinstalled software; I can't remember it all but there's, finder , time machine, workspaces like linux, widgets, they got some good stuff on there. It's looking very good from what I saw on youtube.

It's expensive, but I hope they beat microsoft in the end and get the prices down. Again, I've never used a mac before. People are hard on them especially windows users, but I don't think us linux users should be.

I think the only reason we are not as hard on them is market presence. In many ways I find apple's licensing more restrictive (ILLEGAL to run on non apple HW?!?!) and many of their other policies just as bad as M$. So yes, Linux people should be hard on apple.

FuturePilot
April 14th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I think the only reason we are not as hard on them is market presence. In many ways I find apple's licensing more restrictive (ILLEGAL to run on non apple HW?!?!) and many of their other policies just as bad as M$. So yes, Linux people should be hard on apple.
Agreed. I also find them to be just as bad as Microsoft.

Joseph Duchesne
April 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Or maybe we shouldn't be hard on them because Mac OS X has:
a bash command line
gcc and apache + other open source stuff installed
plays nicely with linux in general
has a (albeit poor) X11 port
generally seems to like open source, at least when it helps them. You can't say the same about linux
it has open source underpinnings seen everywhere when you look hard enough

/isbiasedBecause: His laptop runs Ubuntu but his desktop runs Mac OS X

prizrak
April 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Ubuntu isn't really competing with OS X. It's pretty much impossible to beat an OS designed for 4 different configurations and written by the same company that makes the hardware. I mean it's like an embedded system at this point. Not to mention that the asking price of Macs pretty much keeps everyone but Macies away.

Polygon
April 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
apple is really a hardware company when you think about it. you cannot buy the operating system by itself, you have to purchase a mac in order to get it

ms / linux are really software companies / things

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Or maybe we shouldn't be hard on them because Mac OS X has:
a bash command line
gcc and apache + other open source stuff installed
plays nicely with linux in general
has a (albeit poor) X11 port
generally seems to like open source, at least when it helps them. You can't say the same about linux
it has open source underpinnings seen everywhere when you look hard enough

/isbiasedBecause: His laptop runs Ubuntu but his desktop runs Mac OS X

Haha, yeah, they use them because they "stole" BSD's code instead of writing their own. Of course this is perfectly legal by the terms of the BSD license, I'm not saying otherwise, but how many Mac users can find the terminal? It even takes me a few minutes to find where the buried it when I am looking for it. I say Apple is no more than a leach. They don't contribute back down the chain (they have these wonderful apps that could easily be made to run on BSD, but when was the last time you saw them port an app?), and they use Free Software without giving any real credit. So no, I don't respect apple. They make some nice products, but I'll use Vista before I buy a Mac.

koshatnik
April 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
It won't ship until October. That means it will be matched against Gutsy (Feisty+1).

I can't even figure what will the compiz/beryl boys pull out in these 6 months.

And the release will coincide with KDE4!

Bad timing, Apple.

Why does this matter?

chalimac
April 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
apple is really a hardware company when you think about it. you cannot buy the operating system by itself, you have to purchase a mac in order to get it

ms / linux are really software companies / things

That's not accurate anymore. People are running OSX in all sorts of hardware. It's a nasty hack, but they do it:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

igknighted
April 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
That's not accurate anymore. People are running OSX in all sorts of hardware. It's a nasty hack, but they do it:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It's a nasty hack... and illegal. Sure it CAN be done, just as one CAN circumvent windows WGA protection and use Vista/XP on multiple computers. It's still illegal, so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't count (and if you've seen it done, which I have because my friends got bored and did it, its so unstable it isn't worth anything... theres no support for any windows devices, so while it will run on the processor arch now, theres still no device support). I don't see apple ever opening it up to PCs, just too much other issues they don't want to deal with.

EdThaSlayer
April 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Apple's releases don't really bother me that much. Its not like a OSX Leopard would dent the Linux market, especially when OSX has a small market share themselves. :o