PDA

View Full Version : I feel safer with Linux...

leucippus
April 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I don't know why, but I just feel like I'm safer from malware, viruses, spam,trojans...etc, when I'm online with linux.

I guess, eventually, when linux becomes discovered by more people, that'll change. But, for now it's a nice feeling...:o

cantormath
April 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Not really.....That is what Microsoft wants you to think......:popcorn:

hoagie
April 13th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Nah I don't think Ubuntu (or any other linux distribution) can breake that easily.

getaboat
April 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
What I like about Ubuntu is that it feels like people have designed it and the applications - not corporations. Someone out there knows how I want to use my computer.

DoctorMO
April 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
"Building from the bedrock the solid foundations, any monument no mater how big can survive the impressions of time and criminals alike"

Same can be said of software, Mac OSX is built on good foundations, but it may have problems in the gui code we don't know yet. but linux has security foundations that are a lot more about building propper foundations then obscurity.

Surly if there are so many linux people saying 'come and have a go if you think you hard enough' some egotistical virus writer would love to make a big name for himself by writing the worlds first Linux or Mac OSX virus that spreads?

leucippus
April 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Not really.....That is what Microsoft wants you to think......:popcorn:

I agree with "hoagie" and "getaboat", and DOCTORMO...the security must be tight (heck, I'm forced to log in, and I installed it), and like getaboat says, the people who are programming the software for linux, probably don't have any "ulterior" motives. :rolleyes:

daynah
April 13th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Sometimes I try to open things I know to be windows viruses in my inbox just for fun.

HAHAHA! I laugh in the face of your incompetency!

xopher
April 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I try to open things I know to be windows viruses in my inbox just for fun.

HAHAHA! I laugh in the face of your incompetency!

:KS Haha

kevinlyfellow
April 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
This thread may be interesting...

I college student's prof is going to try to crack into a linux machine

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=407886

whitefort
April 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Sometimes I try to open things I know to be windows viruses!

You need to be careful with this - there was a thread on it here recently - if you're running WINE you might end up dumping all sorts of trash into your folders.

grte
April 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I think people who believe linux is safe mostly because it's under the radar lack an understanding of the mindset of those who create virii, malware, and the like.

Believe it or not, it's not just about causing the most havok you can. I mean, that's a part of it, certainly, but just as important in their eyes is a sense of oneupmanship. That being the case, being the first one to create a widespread linux virus would be worth a lot of street cred, so to speak.

You need to be careful with this - there was a thread on it here recently - if you're running WINE you might end up dumping all sorts of trash into your folders.

That should only happen if you try to open it with wine.

Tobster
April 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
In Linux Format Magazine a while back it did a review MS Windows had millions of viruses worldwide, Linux had 40 worldwide!

Tobster
April 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
sorry that was during year 2006

grte
April 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
sorry that was during year 2006

Things haven't changed much.