PDA

View Full Version : important Suggestion

Goodway
April 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hello

I have a Suggestion that I hope that find acceptable.

We " Linux Users " always Facing difficulty with drivers of Hardware

Most Drivers working only for Windows OS , Why?

For example :

When we buying modem , printer , web cam or Network Adapter ... etc

we Pay money so we have right to get drivers for Linux OS that we love it:D

My Suggestion is writing Message contain the signatures of Linux Users for companies manufactured to provide drivers for Linux OS.

companies list:

Intel , Canon , Hp , U.S Robotics , Agere systems , Phoenix , AMD , Creative Labs , 3COM , Sony , Dell , Toshiba , Acer , ASUS , IBM , D-Link Systems Motorola , PC Tel , SiS Corporation , VIA Technologies , MSI , Giga-Byte Technology , American Megatrends , LG Electronics , Samsung , RealTek , NETGEAR , Linksys , Epson , Yamaha , SigmaTel , Fujitsu , Genius , NEC.

Post suggestions please!

thanks for all

tgm4883
April 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
First thing, there is no "right" to drivers for linux. Would it be nice for them to provide them, yes, are they going to do it, probably not (at least make it so we can write our own drivers.)

Second, ive seen many petitions not make a single dent in the problem.

The best solution i've seen (and will continue to do) is vote with my wallet.

adam.tropics
April 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
The only thing these companies pay attention to really is the ch ching of the cash register. In fairness to them, if it were yours or my business, I am not convinced we would be any different either. Businesses are there to make money for their shareholders. The way to affect change is to just vote with your wallet. Eventually, with luck, there will be enough of us to enhance the volume of the linux ch ching to a point where it gets heard. I realise thats a catch22, but it just is what it is I'm afraid, and sometimes I think we suffer a lack f realism on this whole subject.

spinflick
April 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I think it could have some effect if it was done right, and we told the companies concerned that we are 30 million strong and ignoring us could possibly result in a blacklist.

Dell took notice of us. :biggrin:

adam.tropics
April 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I think it could have some effect if it was done right, and we told the companies concerned that we are 30 million strong and ignoring us could possibly result in a blacklist.

Dell took notice of us. :biggrin:

I hate to be the voice of negativity here, but sadly it's just not the 30 million (or whatever) they actually look at (if only), it's the percentages, and they just don't yet stack up.