PDA

View Full Version : Windows Virus

gunthermeyer
April 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Has anybody been reading about the surge of windows virus attacks lately. I'm just wondering are the people that use any type of Linuxes safe from the super bad people that insist on messing with other people computer by inflicting virus after virus attacks or do we have to go and get a virus protection programs as well and do we have to get some kind of firewall. I do know that if my machine which I still have at least four that are windows based gets hit by a none recoverable virus attack is the day that I will totally change over to some kind of Linux distro and leave Windows in the dust as a really bad nightmare. Windows has really good things but having to worry about a virus attack every time you turn on your computer isn't one of them. I won't get into what I think that should do these @#$%! when they get caught because it never ever be as bad if I were to get a hold of these people. There I vented some steam. thanks for listening and any info would be nice.

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I still have at least four that are windows based gets hit by a none recoverable virus attack is the day that I will totally change over to some kind of Linux distro and leave Windows in the dust as a really bad nightmare.

Why not save yourself the hassle of the "nightmare" and change now?

aysiu
April 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm just wondering are the people that use any type of Linuxes safe from the super bad people that insist on messing with other people computer by inflicting virus after virus attacks or do we have to go and get a virus protection programs as well and do we have to get some kind of firewall. Read this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

gunthermeyer
April 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I saw the show and yes it has merits about the door having to be closed for the lock to work. I'm convinced that any Linux ( Ubuntu included)system is far safer of an O.S. than Windows O.S.

Quillz
April 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Has anybody been reading about the surge of windows virus attacks lately. I'm just wondering are the people that use any type of Linuxes safe from the super bad people that insist on messing with other people computer by inflicting virus after virus attacks or do we have to go and get a virus protection programs as well and do we have to get some kind of firewall. I do know that if my machine which I still have at least four that are windows based gets hit by a none recoverable virus attack is the day that I will totally change over to some kind of Linux distro and leave Windows in the dust as a really bad nightmare. Windows has really good things but having to worry about a virus attack every time you turn on your computer isn't one of them. I won't get into what I think that should do these @#$%! when they get caught because it never ever be as bad if I were to get a hold of these people. There I vented some steam. thanks for listening and any info would be nice.
You won't get a virus on Windows if you're a smart user who knows better than to blindly download any random file from the Internet. I haven't had anti-virus software on Windows for years and have never gotten a virus. It's really not as easy to get a virus as many people would lead you to believe. In many cases, you'd have to really do quite a lot to download one. Contrary to popular beliefs, most viruses don't just "beam" into your computer all by themselves.

Why not save yourself the hassle of the "nightmare" and change now?
Maybe because Linux isn't for everybody?

PetePete
April 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
thats true, i used to use windows and didn't have an anti-virus for 5 years or so, never got a virus and i used the internet alot during that time.

i didn't get a virus because...

I updated windows regulary
i didn't use outlook
I didn't download "xxx SUPER HOT CHICK BARES MUFF AND TUFF.AVI.exe" etc
i used common sense

i did however use a firewall..

koenn
April 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
. Contrary to popular beliefs, most viruses don't just "beam" into your computer all by themselves.
... but some actually do.
They're called 'drive-by downloads' - visiting a website is enough to trigger it.

koenn
April 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
thats true, i used to use windows and didn't have an anti-virus for 5 years or so, never got a virus and i used the internet alot during that time.

If you don't have antivirussoftware, how can you be sure there are no viruses on your computer ? :)

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Maybe because Linux isn't for everybody?

He was asking for an opinion, I gave one :razz:

koshatnik
April 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
It's really not as easy to get a virus as many people would lead you to believe. In many cases, you'd have to really do quite a lot to download one. Contrary to popular beliefs, most viruses don't just "beam" into your computer all by themselves.

Connect to the internet without a firewall with XP and say hello to a world of pain in about 30 seconds.

M$LOL
April 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
What did you expect? Obviously the virus writers were going to work overtime before Vista gets patched.

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM

You missed out then, I downloaded it on my Linux box and it's HOT!!! :lolflag:

djamu
April 13th, 2007, 11:49 PM

I updated windows regulary
i didn't use outlook
i used common sense

i did however use a firewall..

Isn't that XP firewall meant to keep sh*t inside your computer as it permits all traffic until you block it ? :confused:

... but some actually do.
They're called 'drive-by downloads' - visiting a website is enough to trigger it.

If you don't have antivirussoftware, how can you be sure there are no viruses on your computer ? :)

Connect to the internet without a firewall with XP and say hello to a world of pain in about 30 seconds.

This is all Oooh so very true...
1st off all how can anyone be 100% sure they don't have a virus / trojan / malicious script / active-X crap on their computer.
As far as I know micro$oft isn't open source so....

2nd since most XP's have RAW sockets enabled, how can anyone be sure they don't have any rootkit installed, surely not by looking at your proces list because this doesn't necessarily show all processes ( way to go Billy )

3rd if Micro$hit would ever have made good quality software, they would have been accused long time ago for Monopolism, which is bad for bussiness. I believe it suits their bussiness model to make so so software that needs quite good hardware which in return will allow 3rd party companies to go along with them.

:-\"

cunawarit
April 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM
You missed out then, I downloaded it on my Linux box and it's HOT!!! :lolflag:

LOL!!!!!!

Anyway, I don't know if there has been an increase. But I hadn't had a virus in a machine of mine for years. And recently my XP machine at work got infected.

super.rad
April 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
My family recently got a boot sector virus on their pc, showed up on every scan you did but nothing could remove it, i showed them ubuntu and they wiped xp and now happyily running ubuntu virus free