PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates on Making ACPI Not Work with Linux

salsafyren
April 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
"It seems unfortunate if we do this work and get our partners to do the work and the result is that Linux works great without having to do the work" said Bill Gates in 1999

http://osnews.com/story.php/17689/Bill-Gates-on-Making-ACPI-Not-Work-with-Linux (http://osnews.com/story.php/17689/Bill-Gates-on-Making-ACPI-Not-Work-with-Linux)

My take: pathetic

Rospo Zoppo
April 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I agree, pathetic..

rolando2424
April 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
(...) Linux works great (..)

I just laughed when I read this :D

aysiu
April 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Funny thing: whenever people put forth conspiracy theories, they're labeled as nuts... until the actual conspiracy is unveiled.

tbroderick
April 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Funny thing: whenever people put forth conspiracy theories, they're labeled as nuts... until the actual conspiracy is unveiled.

What conspiracy? It's just Bill sounding stupid and not understanding open-source.

DoctorMO
April 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Right if he was just a nutter without power it'd be ok; but it's likly he's influenced intel, amd, nvidia, ti and others to cripple their apci so it only works well with windows. if that's the case then we only have to look at them with yet more scorn for breaking our computers further.

cstudent
April 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
The other names I saw associated with ACPI were all hardware companies. Which I believe are beginning to see the light. They can still sell their products even for a linux platform. And they don't have to pay Microsoft any licensing fees, etc. Which means they can pocket more money to the bottom line. Yes they too did the work, but where does Mr. Gates get off thinking that only the Microsoft OS should benefit from it. All OS's should benefit from it. I'm sure the hardware companies would agree with that.

tbroderick
April 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Right if he was just a nutter without power it'd be ok; but it's likly he's influenced intel...

I really don't think vendors are going to intentionally cripple their hardware. Intel is the lead developer of Linux APCI. The Linux APCI maintainer is an Intel employee. Intel has a free APCI interpreter and more with ACPI CA (which is under a dual license for *BSD folks). Is that Bill's influence? This is just a comment made by someone in 1999 who was/is completely ignorant of how open-source and Linux works. Saying Linux didn't put in the work is irrelevant, Intel put in the work and decided to share there labor.