PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup-survey

Gustav Nilsson
April 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi!

My English teacher gave us a task to make a survey, collect answers and then write down a summery of the answers. So if you have time to speed a few minutes to answer ten questions about ketchup/Tomato Sauce, it would be really nice.

http://gustav.egyweb.se/ketchup.php

The survey is now finnished

Thanks in advance!

mips
April 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Dunno where you are but does the majority of the world not call it Tomato Sauce ?

Gustav Nilsson
April 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
You are correct. Changed it in my post.

sloggerkhan
April 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
It'd be nice if you could share some survey results.

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Dont like it, never use it, cant answer your questions. :D

sloggerkhan
April 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Ketchup and Tomatoe sauce ARE NOT the same things at all!!!!

djsroknrol
April 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Interesting survey....

mips
April 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ketchup and Tomatoe sauce ARE NOT the same things at all!!!!

Please elaborate ?

Technically speaking Tomato Sauce is the same as Ketchup minus the Vinegar. This is not a hard and fast rule though. If we sold our tomato sauces in the US they would be called ketchup.

Our best tomato sauce "All Gold Tomato Sauce" also contains vinegar. Btw it's better than Heinz ketchup, if you can get hold of it then try it. http://www.allgold.co.za/landing.asp http://www.ketchupworld.com/allgotosasaf.html & also other places like amazon etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

There is also another use for the name Tomato Sauce, this would like the sauce used in Italian & Indian food. Kinda like ordering Penne Pasta, which is pasta with a tomato based sauce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce

PS: Is the "tomatoe" a Dan Quayle joke ?

TravisNewman
April 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
... I swear I've taken that exact same survey before. Either that or I'm going crazy.

Neither would surprise me.

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Interesting survey....

You really should get out more. :lolflag:

djsroknrol
April 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You really should get out more. :lolflag:

Should I be offended by that remark?...I thought it WAS interesting, and I do get out often...maybe MORE than most...

daynah
April 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ketchup: Heinz.
Tomato Sauce: Ragu.

Very, very, different. Also, tomato sauce can magically transform into "spagetti sauce" and "pizza sauce," which is a think ketchup cannot do. Ketchup is ketchup.

spinflick
April 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Should I be offended by that remark?...I thought it WAS interesting, and I do get out often...maybe MORE than most...

of course you shouldn't be offended :D

%hMa@?b<C
April 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
why would it replace a vegetable, tomato is a fruit :)

sloggerkhan
April 14th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I guess I could see ketchup considered a very specific kind of tomato sauce. But generally, around here, ketchup is a very specific kind of tomato based sauce generally used on fries and hamburgers. Tomato sauce is generally considered to be a more fluid version of tomato paste and used as generic ingredient in pasta sauces and tomato based dishes. Sometimes it is also used as a name for premade pasta sauce. We also would never consider salsa a kind of tomato sauce.

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Do you think that ketchup/Tomato Sauce can be used instead of tomato-sauce for exmaple on pizzas? Why?

I also think ground beef can be used in place of chopped steak... and you can use legumes in place of peanuts.

Where I come from, "tomato-sauce" is not pizza sauce... not even by a long shot. And ketchup is nowhere near the consistency of "Tomato Sauce". Tomato sauce is the same texture as a watered down tomato paste. If a recipe calls for a 16oz can of tomato sauce, I usually put in a 4oz can of paste and three cans of water.

Oh, and don't let me get started on catsup... wtf is that?

TravisNewman
April 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM
OK I just finally went through and took the survey... do I want to know what the ketchup effect is?

jfinkels
April 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Yay I took the survey too!

Yes...what IS the ketchup effect?

Gustav Nilsson
April 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Yay I took the survey too!

Yes...what IS the ketchup effect?

I think it's time for me to explain that because it looks like only Swedish people have heard the term. When you are getting out ketchup from a middle-filled glass-bottle, you turned it up-side-down and then wait and wait. And then, suddenly, it comes a lot of ketchup. So the ketchup-effect is that first comes nothing, then comes a lot.

Here's an example from an answer from my survey (not so serious, but an answer ;) );

Have you seen the "Ketchup-effect" anywhere else in you life? How?
Haven't we all?
At the moment there isn't a single girl here. But if I were to apply my Axe they would all be here at once.

jfinkels
April 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I think it's time for me to explain that because it looks like only Swedish people have heard the term. When you are getting out ketchup from a middle-filled glass-bottle, you turned it up-side-down and then wait and wait. And then, suddenly, it comes a lot of ketchup. So the ketchup-effect is that first comes nothing, then comes a lot.

Here's an example from an answer from my survey (not so serious, but an answer ;) );

OOOOOOOoooooohhh....Yeah, of course that's happened to me! We Americans just don't have a name for it hahaha

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
When you are getting out ketchup from a middle-filled glass-bottle, you turned it up-side-down and then wait and wait. And then, suddenly, it comes a lot of ketchup. So the ketchup-effect is that first comes nothing, then comes a lot.

I thought you were talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ketchup_Effect

STREETURCHINE
April 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM
now you are in my area of expertise ,being a qualified chef ,and also a qualified pastry chef,here are the ingredients for both ketchup and tomato sauce

Ripe red tomatoes, onions, spices, vinegar, sugar and salt. 12.5kg (25lbs) of ripe tomatoes 60g (2oz) whole cloves 60g (2oz) whole allspice 30g (1oz) ...

these are just thes base differant herbs and spices can be added,differant ingrediants can also be added,depending on who and where it comes from

ketchup and tomato sauce are the same just adapted different in differant countries.

tomato sauce is definatly not a pasta sauce .unless you are really lazy or just cant be botherd to by a jar of pasta sauce.

now i know people are going to disagree but this was lifted straight from the chefs bible

we use tomato sauce on our fries as well on hot dogs ,hamburgers,and we even have polony and tomato sauce sandwiches

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM
To quote wikipedia:

The simplest tomato sauces consist just of chopped tomato flesh (with the skins and seeds optionally removed), cooked in a little olive oil and simmered until it loses its raw flavour, and seasoned with salt...

...the terms tomato sauce, red gravy or red sauce are variously used to refer to a vinegar-less variant of ketchup

A ketchup that does not make. So, to reitterate (in my area at least) ketchup is not tomato sauce. I mean, you don't stop by your local burger joint and ask if they have any packets of tomato sauce... they tend to give you a horrified look. "A rose by any other name doth smell as sweet?"

STREETURCHINE
April 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
To quote wikipedia:
Quote:
The simplest tomato sauces consist just of chopped tomato flesh (with the skins and seeds optionally removed), cooked in a little olive oil and simmered until it loses its raw flavour, and seasoned with salt...

...the terms tomato sauce, red gravy or red sauce are variously used to refer to a vinegar-less variant of ketchup
A ketchup that does not make. So, to reitterate (in my area at least) ketchup is not tomato sauce. I mean, you don't stop by your local burger joint and ask if they have any packets of tomato sauce... they tend to give you a horrified look. "A rose by any other name doth smell as sweet?"

fortunatly not many chefs use the wiki outherwise we would not get jobs.

yes we do ask for packets of tomato sauce and they are distributed at most fast food places here .
you go to a bakery ask for a pie the attendent will ask if you would like sauce ,it is a little squeeze pack of tomato sauce,

as to the wiki a simple sauce ,yes and ketchup had its begginings with grapes and mushrooms but in recent history it has evolved to a tomato based sauce.

if you read the ingrediants i poste they are the same that is why i only put one lot of ingrediants
in america it is ketchup in australia it is tomato sauce,we can even buy ketchup here i hav some in the fridge right next to a bottle of tomato sauce,both commercial and if i took the lables of and blind folded you you would not be able to tell them apart.

some tomato sauces are on the thin side some are quite thick.some taste like crap,and outhers quite good.

the same goes for hurricanes as americans call them , we call them cyclones ,same dog differant leg action

slimdog360
April 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM
yeah, Im a tomato sauce kinda guy

sloggerkhan
April 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
So in every country but america tomato sauce and ketchup are considered the same thing?

STREETURCHINE
April 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
yes .and being that i play golf and softball and i live in a town that has a port
,i quite frequently donate my time to cook at a bbq that are held for the american sailors that visit the port.
after a day of softball or golf .this point has been proved many times,
a bit harder to do on a computer,
a little easier when you have a sausage on a bit of bread with either one of the two sauces that are suppose to be differant

this could go on forever you americans think your ketchup is unique, so be it
the rest of us will just have to persevere with our lowly tomato sauce. and love it:o

Gustav Nilsson
April 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM
So, now I've got enough of good (sometimes brilliant) answers. Thanks a lot to everyone who answered! And for them who has waited to whole weekend for the result, here it is:

http://gustav.egyweb.se/ketchup_r.php

spinflick
April 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
and for those that prefer Brown sauce here is one that was prepared earlier. ;) http://www.brownsauce.org/

mips
April 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
yes we do ask for packets of tomato sauce and they are distributed at most fast food places here .
you go to a bakery ask for a pie the attendent will ask if you would like sauce ,it is a little squeeze pack of tomato sauce,

Same here, the same packets they use for vinegar & mustard.

Everything is labled Tomato Sauce, the glass bottles, the plastic squeeze bottles, the little plastic sachets from the take away like KFC, MacDonalds etc.

We DO NOT use the term Ketchup, it is one of those american things like, Jelly, Jello, Pie etc which does NOT mean the same outside of the USA or is not used at all.

If I went to the shop and asked the shop assistant for a bottle of Heinz Ketchup he/she would look at me funny. If i told him Heinz tomato sauce he would immediately know what I'm talking about even though the imported bottle is labled 'ketchup'.

mips
April 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
So in every country but america tomato sauce and ketchup are considered the same thing?

Yes, but generally we DO NOT use the term "Ketchup". That is something you americans came up with like jello, jelly, pie, xerox etc and the list goes one.

Also keep in mind that you guys don't even spell the english language like the rest of the world. But then again I consider you guys to speak American and not english.

christhemonkey
April 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
We use the term ketchup up here in the North of England, duno bout elsewhere.

But i much prefer Hendersons Relish :D Good old sheffield goodness!!

spinflick
April 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM
We use the term ketchup up here in the North of England, duno bout elsewhere.

But i much prefer Hendersons Relish :D Good old sheffield goodness!!

and so many different uses (http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/faceHair/hendos.htm) ;)

jgrabham
April 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
why would it replace a vegetable, tomato is a fruit :)

technically its a fruit-vegetable

meaning technically it is a fruit, but its used a vegetable! (same with peppers, cucumbers et cetera

Brunellus
April 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Yes, but generally we DO NOT use the term "Ketchup". That is something you americans came up with like jello, jelly, pie, xerox etc and the list goes one.

Also keep in mind that you guys don't even spell the english language like the rest of the world. But then again I consider you guys to speak American and not english.
New words creep into the language all the time. The American West would never have been the same, for instance, if there had been a "Gunfight at the O.K. Paddock." We all know that the story was about the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral." But America wouldn't have known to call it a "corral" if they hadn't imported the word from South Africa. And those all-American cowboys (a literal translation of the Spanish "vaquero") wouldn't have had rodeos to go to if they hadn't imported *that* word from Spanish through Mexico.

And, heck, those are words that even people from way out in the boondocks (imported from the Philippines, from the tagalog "bundok") know about.

Language is a complicated and beautiful thing.

sloggerkhan
April 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
So what do those of you who are not americans call what we call tomato sauce?

jgrabham
April 16th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Ketchup

mips
April 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
But America wouldn't have known to call it a "corral" if they hadn't imported the word from South Africa.

Huh ? Never ever in my life heard the word 'corral' used here. Did not even know what it ment until now as we use 'paddock'. The word 'Kraal' from the Afrikaans language is very common here but not 'corral'. Sure it's not something once again borrowed from Spanish ?

STREETURCHINE
April 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
New words creep into the language all the time. The American West would never have been the same, for instance, if there had been a "Gunfight at the O.K. Paddock." We all know that the story was about the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral." But America wouldn't have known to call it a "corral" if they hadn't imported the word from South Africa. And those all-American cowboys

lol that does not quite have the same impact does it ,

mssever
April 17th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Ah... the intricacies of the different dialects of English! A reminder that English words don't necessarily mean the same hing when you cross international boundries.

jfinkels
April 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Ah... the intricacies of the different dialects of English! A reminder that English words don't necessarily mean the same hing when you cross international boundries.

Also a reminder that when presented with a discrepancy, people will come out en masse to defend their opinions...on food products.

Brunellus
April 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Huh ? Never ever in my life heard the word 'corral' used here. Did not even know what it ment until now as we use 'paddock'. The word 'Kraal' from the Afrikaans language is very common here but not 'corral'. Sure it's not something once again borrowed from Spanish ?
Fair enough. my etymology on 'corral' is a bit off. Seems it does come from Spanish --"corral," (which itself came from the latin for "cart," so literally, a circle of wagons).

So curiously, the same Spanish/Portuguese word was adapted by Afrikaners and Americans on two different parts of the planet to talk about the same thing in two different contexts. Still cool, but still an incorrect original assertion on my part. Sorry.

mips
April 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM
So curiously, the same Spanish/Portuguese word was adapted by Afrikaners and Americans on two different parts of the planet to talk about the same thing in two different contexts. Still cool, but still an incorrect original assertion on my part. Sorry.

Yes, looks like we got the word 'kraal' from the Portuguese 'curral' which seems to stem from Vulgar Latin 'currhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifle'. This makes sense as the first europeans here were Portuguese. Over here the word has two meaning though, a pen/paddock or a small african village which was usually fenced in if I'm not mistaken.

Bezmotivnik
April 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
In the United States, tomatoes are legally defined as vegetables by Act of Congress for purposes of agricultural regulation.

"Tomato sauce" is reduced tomato slurry which may or may not include other flavorings such as onion powder, but has more remaining water than in "tomato paste."

Ketchup (or catsup) is a reduced tomato slurry with water content between that of tomato paste and tomato sauce, but containing vinegar, added sugars (usually in the form of corn syrup) and other flavorings such as onion powder.

mips
April 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
In the United States, tomatoes are legally defined as vegetables by Act of Congress for purposes of agricultural regulation.

Lol, but it's a fruit ! Why not just have it fall under your fruit agricultural laws ?

You guys are crazy !

Brunellus
April 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Lol, but it's a fruit ! Why not just have it fall under your fruit agricultural laws ?

You guys are crazy !
As I recall, there was a debate as to the nutritional content of federally-subsidized school lunches which centered on their vegetable content. As a result, Ketchup was declared a vegetable, so a serving of ketchup counts.

Bizarre, right? not as bizarre as a statute in Louisiana which declared chickens to be vegetables--thus preventing any challenges to cockfighting on the grounds of animal cruelty, since chickens were legally not animals, but vegetables.

Or the Cambridge college which appointed a dog "college cat" by a vote of the College Council. Many Cambridge colleges forbid dogs, but allow a "college cat" to be kept to hunt mice in the kitchens. Since the post of college cat had been vacant for some years, and a Fellow had a dog...well...

mips
April 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Bizarre, right? not as bizarre as...

Now that confirms it, you guys have officially lost the plot :)

Talk about not calling a spade a spade but a fork....

Brunellus
April 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Now that confirms it, you guys have officially lost the plot :)

Talk about not calling a spade a spade but a fork....
To clarify: my last example (the dog that was a "cat" was not in the US, but in England)

mips
April 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
To clarify: my last example (the dog that was a "cat" was not in the US, but in England)

Well then you are not the only guys that have lost the plot.

Come to think of it we also lost the plot many moons ago. We had a dog that would travel on trains with sailors and it got to the point where the railways threatened to put him down. The sailors & community of Simons Town would not have this so they got him enlisted him in the royal navy !!! We actually had a book about him in school English class.

Some VERY interesting history here about Able Seaman Just Nuisance, R.N.:
http://www.simonstown.com/tourism/nuisance/nuisance.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Nuisance