PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a computer in Turkey

nocturn
April 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I want to help my wife's niece to buy a computer, the problem is that we are living in Belgium while they are in Turkey.

So, I'm looking for advice what stores would be good and what brands/models are a good price/quality deal there.

I'm not sure yet if I'll recommend them a Mac or Windows PC (Linux is out of the question without local support, which I cannot provide in this case) so tips about both are welcome.

They live in Izmir, so anything in that region would be nice.

Thanks!

mips
April 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Just get a HP, Dell, Lenovo from an online store in Turkey if they have a presence there.

Betelgeuse
April 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hello,
I'm from Turkey and I'm in computer business, so I know a little bit about the computer stores here...
The support is generally terrible. if you do not know anything about computers, finding a good hardware support is a lucky thing. There are big brands like HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc... here but the levele of support is bad too. The big brands usually have some office in Turkey but all they do is marketing. Their suport departments are all not good. If you are lucky and the computer you bought is working goo then you'll have no trouble, but if something is wrong, you'll have to take your computer to the store where you bought and wait at least one month for repair.

There are small companies selling computers and most of them are OEM builders, building the computers themself. Some of them good, if they have good techs, they chose good parts and the result is a good computer, even better than the big brands but this will be more expensive.
There are big computer stores that sell computers and all hardware stuff and the prices are good and if you have a credid card, you do not have to pay in cash, you can pay in 12 months, this is good.
I'll buy a new computer in 2 months and I think I'll buy parts and build my own. I'm buying computer parts from internet and there are good internet shops here, one of them I'm using most and do not have any problem and the delivery is fast and prices are cheapest. Last week I have bought a new DVD burner from internet shop and it was delivered after 3 days and it was cheaper than any shops around.

There is 2 year warranty on any product sold in Turkey and this is mandatory, it means, you have at least 2 years warranty, some brands have 3 years or more.

I hope this helps. I do not live in Izmir but can ask my friends there about shops...