PDA

View Full Version : Windows snobbery in Business I cant stand it

ade234uk
April 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
What the hell is it with Windows Snobbery in business. Me and my boss successfully set up an site using a php package bought off the shelf. The site has been running brilliantly. It was first running on a free bsd server, and we have now migrated to Ubuntu server with 2gb Ram.

The same type of package written in .net along with Windows Servers fees would have cost thousands. In fact I got quotes from several companies. Initial webdesign was about £15,000 and then hosting was about £1,000 a month. We are doing the same with an £80.00 package and £60 a week dedicated server. We are running a large site.

We are working in conjuction with a larger company. In this company there are a few people that know nothing about Linux whatsoever, but think that they are computer experts. You always get them.

Because the site does not display a Microsoft logo on the site, nor does it run on a Windows Server I have a one or two saying the site is ****. I promptly told one of these people to F**K Off.

However what they don't realise is the amount of money the site has generated, and how much it would have cost going through the Microsoft route. I know the site does not have any gloss, however it does the job it is meant to do and it does it well.

What makes me laugh is they run no websites as this place, but are being ripped off by having a room full of Windows servers. They have a mail server and file servers. The mail server, serves about 15 email addresses. Yes 15 email addresses.

What really makes me laugh is that there is always problems with the Windows Servers. Can't get access to certain sites becuase of pathetic Windows security, mailserver not allowing you to send attachements over a certain size and other problems which is costing ££££

Have any of you guys experienced Windows Snobbery?

salsafyren
April 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
This is well known in business, unfortunately.

Our system administrator is one of those "click-ty-click" admins which knows nothing else than Windows. He didn't even know what SSH was!

And yes, going Windows / Microsoft all the way is very expensive. To let outsiders see our Sharepoint server, Microsoft wants about 43.000 euros! That's crazy! You could just setup a open source tool for much less.

This is insanity!

And yes, our Windows servers are so unstable, it is not even funny. I think their maximum uptime is 15 days, what a joke.

I think it is a sign of incompetence and closeness. If these people really had some guts they would go the open source way.

Hopefully, we'll see businesses adopt open source in the future.