PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not using Beryl/Compiz?

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Just curious. I feel kind of left out. It seem that like *everyone* is using Beryl or Compiz. Well I do use it on my desktop, but I've given up trying to get it to work on my laptop. I've spent the last 3 months trying everything 5 times over and every time with the same result.

First of all it runs really slow on this laptop and it suffers terribly from that awful black window bug. And the biggest thing was that it caused random freezes all the time. Not good if I'm typing a paper.

I've done so many reinstalls of Ubuntu as well as other distros trying to get it to work. I swear I haven't had one install stay on this thing for more than 3 days. I guess I didn't want to face the fact that it won't work on this thing. Yes I love Beryl that much. :lolflag: So now I'm exhausted and I just want an OS that is stable and works. I mean I love tweaking and customizing Linux, but this has gone on too long.

The solution: I grabbed myself a CD of Kubuntu Edgy, and installed it. No Beryl, nothing special. I still need that Nvidia driver though. So at least for now, I'm just going to stick with Kubuntu Edgy. Once I get a new computer (hopefully soon) then I'll have some real fun with Feisty:guitar:

Polygon
April 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM
i dont use it, i dont have a need to use it. honestly, whats useful about it? transparant windows? 3d cube workspace switching? wobbly windows? uhhhhhh yeah when i use the computer i want to surf the web or do something else, not wobble my windows and play with a 3d cube ;)

Sunflower1970
April 13th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I only have Beryl running on my laptop. Don't use it that often, unless I want to impress someone...

lbyrd33
April 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Its just one of those things that is cool the first couple of times you use it. Then it just gets on your nerves!

johnc4510
April 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I currently don't use it, but I have tried it a couple of times. It is flashy and fun to show others, but both times I've used it, I have uninstalled it. I'm sure in the future I will try it again just because I like to see what progress it is making, and because I like to tinker with my machine. Also now that Compiz and Beryl are reuniting as a project it will be interesting to watch and see what happens. The one thing I really liked about it was grouping windows. That is something I thought was a great plugin.

yabbadabbadont
April 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM
i dont use it, i dont have a need to use it. honestly, whats useful about it? transparant windows? 3d cube workspace switching? wobbly windows? uhhhhhh yeah when i use the computer i want to surf the web or do something else, not wobble my windows and play with a 3d cube ;)

What he said. :D

jaimz
April 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I like it because it gives me something to mess with
I don't have any issues with it either, on an ATI card too

it's nice to impress people with it but nothing really special imo

still better than the aero glass crap on vista
which is pretty much all it has
sure it looks "pretty" to the eye...
but I rather have the choice to have things my way

kragen
April 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Its nice... but I'm not using it at the moment - I've just re-installed ubuntu and I'm debating whether or not I can be bothered. It can be a little sluggish at times, although it can also be really useful as well.

Perhaps if it was as simple as "apt-get install compiz" then I would - it might well be that simple, but it probably isn't, and I'm not going to try without doing at least a little research to check I'm not going to break things, which brings me back to deciding whether or not I can be bothered...

tscook
April 13th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Well you can't use Openbox and Beryl together. The only things I miss are the visual indication of switching desktops and windows darkening when they don't respond.

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I currently don't use it, but I have tried it a couple of times. It is flashy and fun to show others, but both times I've used it, I have uninstalled it. I'm sure in the future I will try it again just because I like to see what progress it is making, and because I like to tinker with my machine. Also now that Compiz and Beryl are reuniting as a project it will be interesting to watch and see what happens. The one thing I really liked about it was grouping windows. That is something I thought was a great plugin.

Indeed. It is a lot of fun. I've got it working perfectly on my desktop computer. I just sort of miss it on the laptop.

azkehmm
April 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I've tried to get it working several times, everytime resulting in a reinstall because I'm too lazy (or stupid) to not backup any configuration files before I mess with them. Now I've just accepted the fact that compiz/beryl and me were never ment to be.

amohanty
April 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I love the transparent windows.
The cube annoys the hell out of me.
Wobbly windows make my eyes hurt so I turn them off
I hate not being able to use virtual desktops with the wallpaper which is not bad.
compiz does not work with fglrx - well its such a pain that its virtually unusable.
xgl does not like usb keyboards, key repeat mess is a huge pita.

overall I would like to have it, its better and a hell of a lot more lightweight and customizable then aero. I am looking forward to the next version since the announcement of the beryl compiz team merges.

just my .02 <insert currency here>

AM

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2007, 06:30 AM
It's really going to be interesting to see what happens now that the two projects have merged back together. I'm really curious to see what they come up with next.:)

karellen
April 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I've never used it because I don't need it. I didn't even try to install beryl/compiz as I saw no purpose or need

LMP900
April 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM

There are some very useful features for me. The two main reasons I use it:

1. Scale - I was introduced to a wonderful feature called Exposť in Mac OS X. Now I can have the same feature with Ubuntu.

2. Screenshot tool - It saves me so much time using the selective screenshot tool. For example, I want to keep the 2007 Formula 1 schedule handy. Instead of writing it down, I can just go to the F1 website, find the list of races and simply hold my "Windows" key and select the area I want to save.

Also, the drop shadows and overall polish of Compiz makes daily computing more pleasant. I'm sure we'll see more useful features implemented in the future.

amohanty
April 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM
To lots of people (my wife incl. and shes no techie) a computer is quite utilitarian in nature so they just dont care as long as it does what they want. Now to (some of the) people like us who tend to anthromorphize our boxen, think about the hostnames, scream, rant and plead with them.. it may make a difference as to what it looks like :)

AM

mediax
April 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'm sure I'm missing the point entirely (nothing new there), but it seems to me that the biggest driver for many (probably most?) people using Beryl is eye candy - and I'm just not an eye candy person.

It's probably a side effect of spending so many years working with spreadsheets and databases . . .

M$LOL
April 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I'm not using it. I won't use it either unless I see something functional about it, all I see ATM is eye candy.

SishGupta
April 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM
If you aren't getting functionality out of beryl then either you aren't using it well or you don't multitask well.

I use transparent windows when I have windows layered. I can read information in the background and use the window on top.

I use wobbly windows because the way X handles window dragging w/o compositing is simply annoying. The wobble smooths it out and I feel I am able to reposition in a way that my eyes don't feel like bleeding.

I use scale instead of a task bar, its much faster.

I use show desktop to show the desktop, faster than hitting the button.

If you find that the eye candy impedes than just customize until it doesn't. The great thing about beryl is that you aren't locked into a feature set, you can pick and choose and customize until you get something that is perfect for you.

And that is how beryl improves my user experience on the linux desktop. I feel that it improves my efficiency and ease of use quite dramatically.

Eye candy alone has its own functionality it can reduce the stress and fatigue of using a computer for an extended period of time. There have been several studies based on quality of GUI and computer related fatigue and stress.

ComplexNumber
April 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM
i don't see any advantage in using it, only disadvantages for me.

M$LOL
April 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM
If you aren't getting functionality out of beryl then either you aren't using it well or you don't multitask well.

I use transparent windows when I have windows layered. I can read information in the background and use the window on top.

I use wobbly windows because the way X handles window dragging w/o compositing is simply annoying. The wobble smooths it out and I feel I am able to reposition in a way that my eyes don't feel like bleeding.

I use scale instead of a task bar, its much faster.

I use show desktop to show the desktop, faster than hitting the button.

If you find that the eye candy impedes than just customize until it doesn't. The great thing about beryl is that you aren't locked into a feature set, you can pick and choose and customize until you get something that is perfect for you.

And that is how beryl improves my user experience on the linux desktop. I feel that it improves my efficiency and ease of use quite dramatically.

Eye candy alone has its own functionality it can reduce the stress and fatigue of using a computer for an extended period of time. There have been several studies based on quality of GUI and computer related fatigue and stress.

I hadn't actually been using it, I just saw screenshots and thought that it was just bloatware and didn't actually have much to offer me. I might look into it though if it does have its advantages.

Obor
April 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I don't use it either. Ati card in my 4 year old laptop is just not playing nice. I would like to get it working just to show off to someone but otherwise I like my light desktop.

paulvandenberg
April 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Its just one of those things that is cool the first couple of times you use it. Then it just gets on your nerves!

That's exactly how I felt.

Paul

djsroknrol
April 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I gave up on it in Ubuntu about 4 months ago...my system crashed much too often for my liking with my Intel intergrated video card....

But I still have Beryl on my Sabayon and it worked out of the box without any problems...

tbrminsanity
April 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I tried to use Beryl but my video card is not supported so I use 3D desktop instead. It gives me the eyecandy I want but doesn't drain too many resources.

plb
April 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I try new versions ever so often but never stay with it. Does nothing for me really but slow everything down.

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I don't use it either. Ati card in my 4 year old laptop is just not playing nice. I would like to get it working just to show off to someone but otherwise I like my light desktop.
Yeah, the same here. This laptop is going on 5 years old. The graphics card is a GeForce2 Go and it doesn't go over too well with Beryl or as a matter of fact, any type of compositing.

happy-and-lost
April 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
They work fine on my ATi x300, but the useful buttons on CheckGmail don't work with them enabled. Gmail more important :)

M$LOL
April 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
OK, I'm using it now. Impressive stuff!

ThinkBuntu
April 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
One useful thing about Compiz and Beryl is the feature allowing you to overview and select from your windows by dragging to the upper right corner.

onesojourner
April 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I used it on my desktop for a while and I also checked to see if it worked on my laptop. it did. It does it eat battery life on the laptop so if I can install it and have an easy way to turn it off when I am running on batteries I will put it back on once I upgrade to fiesty. I totally screwed my desktop up with it, so much so that I have been using windows on there for the past month waiting for fiesty to come.

justin whitaker
April 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I've used it in the past, and I'm basically waiting for Feisty to release before adding it back. Once you start using it, you start missing the features: the alt-tab replacement, transparency, being able to peel the windows back....it's not just eye-candy. Although it is that too. :D

FuturePilot
April 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I've used it in the past, and I'm basically waiting for Feisty to release before adding it back. Once you start using it, you start missing the features: the alt-tab replacement, transparency, being able to peel the windows back....it's not just eye-candy. Although it is that too. :D
Exactly. I use it on the desktop pc, but when I go to my laptop it all seems rather flat. Although there are advantages to not running it on the laptop. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.;)

Onyros
April 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'd rather not use Beryl. I prefer a fast and lean desktop experience, and apart from the Scale plugin (Exposť-like) there's nothing really useful there.

If only there was some kind of Exposť out there that worked as well as that... (skippy just isn't good enough and I'm not going to use the KDE app).

herbster
April 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have had an enormous amount of experience installing, uninstalling, messing up, configuring, etc. Beryl in the last couple months, and have done it now with BOTH ATI and nVidia cards.

Let me first say that using ATI is not really having Beryl, since you are going to need that turd XGL, unless you use the "ati" drivers in which case it will run slow in parts/not look as nice. Either way, in my experience, Beryl is just not the same with ATI.

I got my GeForce a week ago and uninstalled XGL happily. Now I log into Ubuntu using default Gnome session and Beryl loads up in a jiffy, working ridiculously mint. It's worlds apart.

Aside from that, Beryl is incredibly useful. It's very clear that those who shrug it off as mere eye-candy have either never used it or never taken the time to configure it right/learn how to use it when they had it installed. I mean, you flick the mouse to a corner and see every window on every workspace, then flick it to another corner to fade to desktop and again to bring apps back, one measly movement of your middle finger to scroll every workspace in a quick second, group windows and spin 'em around to keep your internet or file browsers organized, etc. etc.

Beryl looks great, works great and is very, very useful. It really makes multitasking fun, faster and so much simpler if you configure the shortcuts to what you would like and then make them habitual. And when you use an animated Skydome, the computer really comes to life and isn't just a doggone flat screen you're doomed to any longer.

Beryl rox :D

Raffo
April 13th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I don't use it just because I don't need it.

voided3
April 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Even on my most powerful computers, i always aim for a lightweight setup to maximize its potential. Having played with the integrated compiz on the feisty 7.04 beta, I know my computers can handle it, but still, it isn't really worth it for me. The standard workspace switcher is good enough for me!

wersdaluv
April 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I dont use those.

I cant use those!

My hardware is not capable!!!!!!!!

Onyros
April 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hehe, I shrugged it off... after using extensively. I used Beryl for a period of two months, configured everything to my liking (including the mouse area triggers, too, to set off the Scale plugin), played around a lot with it... in the end I always missed my... beloved Fluxbox.

It does have some useful things, just not useful enough for me to switch completely (and I even declared I had switched over to the "dark side").

Hey, one man's poison is another man's wine. ;)

Aranel
April 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I don't have the hardware to run it effectively. I'm using Ubuntu on a laptop with 256MB of RAM, a Celeron, and an Intel 800-something GPU. As a matter of fact, I'm using Fluxbox because GNOME tends to be really slow (or, at least, as slow as Windows XP runs on this thing :) ). When the final version of Feisty is released, I'll probably install Xubuntu to remedy that, but yeah. No Beryl for me.

I did get Compiz running on another PC with 256MB of RAM, though... but that one had a decent (7 years old, but good) nVidia card and a Duron. This computer is just slightly too cheap. :p

maniacmusician
April 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I used it on my desktop for a while and I also checked to see if it worked on my laptop. it did. It does it eat battery life on the laptop so if I can install it and have an easy way to turn it off when I am running on batteries I will put it back on once I upgrade to fiesty. I totally screwed my desktop up with it, so much so that I have been using windows on there for the past month waiting for fiesty to come.
There is an easy way to do that. Right click on the Beryl icon in the notification area > Choose Window Manager > Metacity/Kwin/Xfwm/whatever you use in stead of Beryl. Simple, fast, easy.

Kalixa
April 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I have a laptop with a radeon 7500 and a desktop with a radeon 9200 graphics card. So no I don't use beryl or compiz. I would probably at least install it on my desktop If I had graphics cards which were supported.

Falconix
April 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm not using Beryl on my computers cuz the computers in my home is Multi user stations, the whole family are using them, that's not the problem, the problem is that Beryl is doing some spooky stuff after that a user had locked the computer or the computer has locked by automatic you will not be able to see anything just blank when you try to re-login.

I haven't been looking so deep in this issue, just waiting for Feisty Fawn

DougieFresh4U
April 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Exactly!! Also, I have seen more threads pertaining to "Driver this, driver that, and bery/compiz borked after update" (:-({|= )etc. etc.!!! You all have fun with that. I get enough headaches just dealing with simple hassle that an occassional update can cause, why would I want beryl/compiz, knowing that after every little update there WILL be breakage

herbster
April 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Exactly!! Also, I have seen more threads pertaining to "Driver this, driver that, and bery/compiz borked after update" (:-({|= )etc. etc.!!! You all have fun with that. I get enough headaches just dealing with simple hassle that an occassional update can cause, why would I want beryl/compiz, knowing that after every little update there WILL be breakage

I use the svn and upgraded from 0.2.0 to 0.3.0 with zero problems and still none. Like I said in my post earlier, your hardware is the main issue from what I have both experienced and seen.

I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea for various reasons, but it's the reason I tried Ubuntu in the first place, and one of the main ones that has had it replace Windows for me since.

dspari1
April 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Just curious. I feel kind of left out. It seem that like *everyone* is using Beryl or Compiz. Well I do use it on my desktop, but I've given up trying to get it to work on my laptop. I've spent the last 3 months trying everything 5 times over and every time with the same result.

First of all it runs really slow on this laptop and it suffers terribly from that awful black window bug. And the biggest thing was that it caused random freezes all the time. Not good if I'm typing a paper.

I've done so many reinstalls of Ubuntu as well as other distros trying to get it to work. I swear I haven't had one install stay on this thing for more than 3 days. I guess I didn't want to face the fact that it won't work on this thing. Yes I love Beryl that much. :lolflag: So now I'm exhausted and I just want an OS that is stable and works. I mean I love tweaking and customizing Linux, but this has gone on too long.

The solution: I grabbed myself a CD of Kubuntu Edgy, and installed it. No Beryl, nothing special. I still need that Nvidia driver though. So at least for now, I'm just going to stick with Kubuntu Edgy. Once I get a new computer (hopefully soon) then I'll have some real fun with Feisty:guitar:

I suggest that you try the latest MEPIS live cd since it has beryl enabled by default. If it works with MEPIS, then you'll have the green light to install. Another idea is to try to install beryl with xubuntu instead since xubuntu demands less from your system.

x1a4
April 15th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Hi,

First, you have to bare in mind that both Beryl and Compiz are early in their development stage so bugs are common and should be expected.

To answer your question, I've had both Beryl and Compiz installed for a while but removed them. They slowed down my system, especially when several users where logged-in to a X server session. I find the compositing manager that comes with Xfce's window manager enough to satisfy my shadow/transparency needs. As for the app switcher, I don't like the cube anyhow, even if it weren't slow.

qpieus
April 15th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Nope, I don't use it either. I tried it on a spare pc a few months back. I do like the rotating cube thingy, but to be honest I was put off by the sheer number of settings available. I have no use for the wobbly windows and the like, they're distracting to me.

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I suggest that you try the latest MEPIS live cd since it has beryl enabled by default. If it works with MEPIS, then you'll have the green light to install. Another idea is to try to install beryl with xubuntu instead since xubuntu demands less from your system.
I've tried all that. I've tried everything. It's not that I can't get it working, it's that it slows everything down and likes to cause random freezes. The graphics card just can't handle it.

Somenoob
April 16th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I've had it installed for quite some time but just use it for impressing others.

rcatman
April 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
To lots of people (my wife incl. and shes no techie) a computer is quite utilitarian in nature so they just dont care as long as it does what they want. Now to (some of the) people like us who tend to anthromorphize our boxen, think about the hostnames, scream, rant and plead with them.. it may make a difference as to what it looks like :)

AM

Very well said. Whenever I find myself explaining why I chose Ubuntu to friends who have never touched a Linux distro I give a list of advantages and see which ones they respond to.

Some want eye candy and something 'cool' , some just want to surf the web and are sick of having all those spyware problems.

At first beryl was just a fun way to waste time minizing and maximizing windows. It was a toy. It wasn't until I first started a huge project for school where I kept multiple windows open, terminals in one work space and would casually switch over or rotate the cube slightly when I forgot a command or example.

I found it to improve productivity and was a great organizational tool.

I myself love to anthropomorphize my desktop.

Hex_Mandos
April 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I installed it for eye candy, and because it's terribly simple to do so in Feisty. I keep it because it helps multitask. Plus, now I have no need for a taskbar, so I removed it. More space for apps, and all menu bars are concentrated on top.

frychiko
June 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
It's fun for a few hours, but for serious work, It's a hassle.

- show desktop button is buggy, sometimes doesn't minimize all windows, sometimes nothing happens, and a bit sluggish.
- shortcuts interfere with some programs notably GIMP (like shift,ctrl, I can't remember which keys exactly)

Eager to see if the next version fixes these issues. I love the multiple desktop sliding feature (slide to the left or ride) rather than the rotating cube, that is annoying.

kamaboko
June 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Exactly. Moreover, it's beta and buggy as hell. Pretty desktops are for girls with Barbie dolls.

mustang
June 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Used it for almost 4 months but then I got tired of it crashing. Plus, why waste extra cpu cycle on eye candy like that? I'm happy with the gtk candido eye candy :)

samjh
June 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I don't use it. While I appreciate nice-looking GUIs, functionality and usability comes first. Transparent windows and all that jazz doesn't really add to either of those criteria, IMHO. I rather save the CPU cycles for more useful tasks.
:)

super breadfish
June 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I installed it, used it for a few weeks, then turned it off. The cube is nice, and so is proper transparency, but after a while it doesn't seem to have the same effect. Plus it made several programs I have slow down, and every time I used Amarok with Beryl on my CPU load shot to 100% for some reason. I'll probably give it another go after it gets a bit more mature.

Now I just turn it on when I need to show off Linux ;)

LaRoza
June 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Interestingly, I didn't install beryl because I didn't care about looks. A few weeks ago, I installed it, just to see what it looked like.

While I was running it, I noticed that it didn't seem to slow my computer down at all, even when I was running a lot of apps.

It hasn't crashed at all so far.

silent1643
June 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
i dont/can't use compiz or beryl because of my gd ati x series card... oh well :D

jclmusic
June 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
i have never got it to work properly, but then i use mainly legacy video cards cos i build computers myself and i'm skint :D

karellen
June 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
a "not-user" here. I've never felt the need for it...

icechen1
June 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I was using Beryl but it become more and more buggy.So i am using Compiz now,it is still a little buggy.

John.Michael.Kane
June 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Beryl/compiz was installed only to verify hardware compatibility. After which it was promptly uninstalled, as I have no need for it's use on a daily basis.

DougieFresh4U
June 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I stated earlier in this thread no I don't use it.
Let me ask this, I am all for animated avatars. I'm wondering if Ubuntu users who complain that animated avatars are a distraction to them , use beryl/compiz and like the wobbly windows etc. (wouldn't that be considered a distraction?):confused:

FuturePilot
June 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I stated earlier in this thread no I don't use it.
Let me ask this, I am all for animated avatars. I'm wondering if Ubuntu users who complain that animated avatars are a distraction to them , use beryl/compiz and like the wobbly windows etc. (wouldn't that be considered a distraction?):confused:
Lol:lolflag:

bobbocanfly
June 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I *love* beryl. The panel, mouse over preview things are brilliant for checking whether torrents are done yet or if a program has finished compiling or whatever. The cube is brilliant. The greying out of unresponsive windows is invaluable as i never could work out whether it was just thinking or had just died.

Dragonbite
June 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm not using either of them because my system won't handle it.

wxnker
June 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I couldn't live without Beryl. :cool: I absolutely love it, and after using it for a long time, I'd hate to lose it.

From my experience Beryl is pretty stable. In Ubuntu I have some logout/shutdown issues, when using Beryl though. Sometimes I cannot logout - The gnome panel and desktop never closes. In my other distro's, Mandriva 2007.1 Spring and PCLinuxOS I have no problems with Beryl at all.

Hopefully I'll solve the shutdown and logout issue in Ubuntu soon.

PartisanEntity
June 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I don't use it because it runs a little sluggish on my laptop, plus I really don't need it.

5-HT
June 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Was running Beryl for a while after having to overcome some issues with suspend-to-ram using the nvidia binaries, but then I ran into the bug with Java apps (jre6). Too much of a hassle to have to keep on disabling Beryl when I'm running anything Java related. Will go back to compiz-fusion if there's a workaround for jre6 like there was for jre5.

bonzodog
June 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I've never seen a use for it myself. I had the xfce compositor switched on for a while, but the translucent menus just really screwed things up for me, and I cannot see the point of the eye candy.

I am now a firm Openbox 3 fan, and I like to keep my desktop clean and simple, and functional.

It's nice, and it's clean.

Kubunteando
June 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I like it but I don't really use mainly because I have the issue with ATI cards of having white title bar in the windows when they are maximized. I find really handy how to switch between windows and the window preview you get.

But I use the normal KDE on daily bases. What I am looking for is KDE 4.

In Beryl they need to come with some new ideas to make it really useful and not just a toy.
Although a really nice toy!

thisllub
June 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
2 good reasons.

#1 E17

#2 Doesn't work with 2 video cards and 3 screens anyway.

Luke771
June 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Me.
I'm not using Beryl because it gives me some visualization problems when running some apps that will look like a blank window the same color of the frame.
You can switch back and forth from Beryl to Gnome or KDE on the fly, but even that is too annoying for me, I want my apps to work right away without having to change any settings (or switching windows manager).
And by the way, what does Beryl do after all? wobbly windows, cube desktop and open/close windows effects are fun but not really 'needed'.

Luke771
June 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
@ thisllub:
How did you make dual videocards work?
I have 2x nVidia 7950GT and the multimonitor thingy works perfectly on Windows (dual boot for gaming *only*) but on Linux I'm only able to see 2 monitors, the third one, attached to videocard #2, shows up as 'disabled', I enable it using the nVidia control panel that comes with the driver installed by Automatix, then I save the changes to xorg.conf clicking the button "save to config file" and then a X restart is required: I do that and the settings are back as they were before changing anything.

I suppose I should manually edit xorg.conf, I even tried to add another videocard section by copying and pasting the original section and chenging busID to ...something with a 2 instead of 1 (sorry, I'll check the details if needed) and one extra letter in the identifier but X couldn't load, I had to restore the original xorg.conf from the backup I wisely took before changing stuff.

Maybe you could post a howto about that.
Or, if that's already been done, point me to it.
A quick answer is also good, of course.
thx.

thisllub
June 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
@ thisllub:
How did you make dual videocards work?
I have 2x nVidia 7950GT and the multimonitor thingy works perfectly on Windows (dual boot for gaming *only*) but on Linux I'm only able to see 2 monitors, the third one, attached to videocard #2, shows up as 'disabled', I enable it using the nVidia control panel that comes with the driver installed by Automatix, then I save the changes to xorg.conf clicking the button "save to config file" and then a X restart is required: I do that and the settings are back as they were before changing anything.

I suppose I should manually edit xorg.conf, I even tried to add another videocard section by copying and pasting the original section and chenging busID to ...something with a 2 instead of 1 (sorry, I'll check the details if needed) and one extra letter in the identifier but X couldn't load, I had to restore the original xorg.conf from the backup I wisely took before changing stuff.

Maybe you could post a howto about that.
Or, if that's already been done, point me to it.
A quick answer is also good, of course.
thx.

I just ran "sudo nvidia-settings from a terminal. Then the X-config will save.

b0ng0
June 24th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I do use Compiz but I think most of the effects in Beryl/Compiz are pretty much pointless. I just like it for the smooth fading in and out of windows, and the zoomy effect for maximizing/minimizing.

insane_alien
June 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
i have it on my laptop but it doesn't get run unless i'm showing off.

i also have it on my main desktop and its on permanently but it doesn't have all the features turned on because they annoy me.got some nice transparenies and blur effects to make it look shiny but thats the extent of it.

crimesaucer
June 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I just spent the last 12 hours not using Beryl, or my newly installed Compiz Fusion...

I had installed Compiz fusion yesterday and after setting all of the plug-ins correctly and fixing a couple of errors like video playback and some other things, I added it to my Start Up Apps and took Beryl off of the list.

Then I took a break and got some sleep...and when I woke up and re-booted, I found my computer only displaying a 640x480 portion of my window...(a simple setting that I fixed 12 hours later when I found it)

Well, I didn't know at that time what was wrong, so I removed Beryl and changed back to xfwm4 as my window manager, then I tried a few more things with Compiz but didn't find a solution or a similar problem on the forums...so I just put Compiz on hold for the rest of the evening and played around with my xfce4 and xfwm4 themes.

I like to make /gtk-2.0/gtkrc themes for the engines "xfce" in xubuntu, but usually I use Emerald for my windows.

Now without Beryl/Compiz I had the ugliest window themes ever...so I played around and re-wrote the default xfwm window theme.

Anyway, my point is that I think there is nothing wrong with not using Beryl/Compiz, but the default window themes are terrible in xubuntu/ubuntu...and yeah, I could always search Xfce-Looks.org and Gnome-Looks.org and find a well made window theme, or take some time to make one on my own...but after using the Emerald Theme Manager for the last 6 months, and the different theme engines it uses (like vrunner and tru glass), it was a noticeable difference.

Everything else was cool. Xfce has compositing for shadows and transparency, I don't use the tacky effects, and I could live without some of the useful plug-ins from Beryl/Compiz Fusion...hell, I don't even use the cube...I have my Beryl/Compiz Fusion set so it doesn't spin at all. It just clicks onto the next desktop like the default workspaces do.

Sabretooth
June 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I have Beryl installed, but don't use it too often, because it slows down Ubuntu. I use it to show off to my friends who go all crazy when they see it. :p

king0lag
June 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I have Beryl installed, but don't use it too often, because it slows down Ubuntu. I use it to show off to my friends who go all crazy when they see it. :p

lol, I've never used it but post like this make me want to flex some Beryl muscle!

Unfortunately it never worked for me, and I've never let that slow me down.. wait... or... hmmm....

Right!

Chilli Bob
June 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I've never bothered because it just looks like needless eye candy. (except maybe the expose feature). Anyhoo , I ran it on Mandriva the other day (it loads by default), and sure enough after about 5 minutes the novelty wore off. I just don't think it's worth the resources to run.

Enlightenment and looking glass look nice though.

vexorian
June 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM
when I tried compiz then beryl it did feel like worthless eye candy, and they were pretty slow. But then I tried compiz-fusion and it was noticeably faster, I also learned to get rid of some things I thought were just annoying and kept the useful ones, setting opacity on windows is very useful for some things and the expo is a good replacement for the desktop choice.

Bachstelze
June 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Beryl ? What on earth is that ? ;)

init1
June 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM

I don't use it.

Rutabega
June 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I've tried both Beryl and Compiz, while the eye candy was rather nice, it soon lost its novelty after 24 hours. I actually found it too distracting and superfluous for what I use a computer for.

mthakur2006
June 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM
i might get shouted at for this, but i skinned gnome to look like osx, so i have to have beryl or the whole thing *just falls apart*, i can't stress it enuf.

So, yes I do. I need to and I love it as well. :KS

EndPerform
June 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Figured I'd toss my 0.02 $denomination in here. I don't use it at all, as I'm a Fluxbox kinda guy. I keep it simple and fast, and it works for me. I've heard that Gutsy plans to ship with effects enabled, which to me is a bad idea. Why? One look at the forums should be reason enough. A lot of people are having issues with it, and it's still considered beta. I don't *hate* Beryl/Compiz, but at the same time I don't see the point, other than to say "oooo look, pretty".

antiemptyv
June 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM
i was always a flux/open-box person. i built a new computer that could easily run the "desktop-effects," haven't looked back. i'm just using the regular compiz (that comes with ubuntu 7.04), and it actually turns out to be very useful software, runs flawlessly, and it looks cool, too. aaaand.. i admit i miss wobbly windows when playing on my (significantly slower) ubuntu laptop or on a windows or mac computer. and the unneeded effects are very easily disabled.

vexorian
June 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I decided to uncheck compiz-fussion and emerald from session init.

Even though my comp certainly doesn't freeze because of using compiz, I just noticed that normal ubuntu is way faster to me. It simply feels lighter.

I began feeling an strong drop in performance, for example when I use my PC for serious stuff like browsing 10 pages in firefox while using another virtual desktop for development (code::blocks + terminal + nautilus) plus using the last desktop to play music.

Also, the behaviour that it sets all windows to sem transparency by default was starting to feel heavy on my eyes.

But I'll leave a button to enable it when I am bored and it should also be such a good way to impress people you show your computer to :)

I mean, it is very useful and very nice, but my hardware is not ready yet.

AndyCooll
June 28th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I've never used Beryl/Compiz, and although it might be a wiz for a few minutes I've never mustered up enough interest to be bothered having a look. Besides, the two laptops we use most of the time probably couldn't handle Beryl/Compiz anyway. And the fast box we've got I only usually XDMCP into ...via the laptops.

:cool:

ceelo
June 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Couldn't get Compiz Fusion to work on my machine, but Beryl works. I use it once in a while but it slows my system down too much. Plus, I've mostly been on Openbox recently, so yeah.

fyllekajan
June 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Beryl/Compiz makes the DE look smoother and adds some useful functionality over the DE's native WMs. It's not a bad WM on it's own either BUT I'm not using it very much. I find some other WMs more effective in the way I'm using my desktop. :)

steven8
June 29th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I don't use it.

FoolsGold_MKII
June 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I managed to get Fusion working on my system. Quite nice, but a bit slow at times. I hear the 100.xx NVIDIA drivers seem to improve responsiveness though, so I'll be trying them later.

On my server though, nah, don't run it for obvious reasons.

BOBSONATOR
June 29th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I am always runnign beryl/compiz fusion on my desktop, and i normally ran fluxbox on my lappy.

Now that compiz fusion is out, it seems much lighter, and i run that with gnome on my laptop, using the default ATI drivers since getting the old FGLRX drivers on feisty is short of impossible.

mouseboyx
June 29th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Great point it just slows you down and makes you a fraction less productive, if your trying to be productive.

If you installed it on every computer in an office all the employees would be like monkeys playing with it all day long and never doing any real work, but it does look very cool and i certainly would use it if i wanted to impress someone on how much better Linux is.