PDA

View Full Version : I changed to compiz

forrestcupp
April 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I originally tried running nvidia-glx with aiglx and beryl. I love beryl and all of it's features. But everytime my boy played supertux, tuxracer, or childsplay my computer would lock up, and often I would have to do a hard shutdown and restart. So just for the heck of it, I decided to try compiz and see if it would take care of my problems. Since I changed, my computer doesn't lock up anymore. I like a few of the things about beryl better (like the taskbar thumbnail previews, and emerald), but it's not worth it to have to restart my computer every time my boy plays a game. I hope that when the merge takes place we get the features of beryl with the stability of compiz.

khanhlnq
April 13th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I originally tried running nvidia-glx with aiglx and beryl. I love beryl and all of it's features. But everytime my boy played supertux, tuxracer, or childsplay my computer would lock up, and often I would have to do a hard shutdown and restart. So just for the heck of it, I decided to try compiz and see if it would take care of my problems. Since I changed, my computer doesn't lock up anymore. I like a few of the things about beryl better (like the taskbar thumbnail previews, and emerald), but it's not worth it to have to restart my computer every time my boy plays a game. I hope that when the merge takes place we get the features of beryl with the stability of compiz.
Why don't you just switch to Metaciy Windows Manager before you boy play games? It's very easy to do witn Beryl Manager.

forrestcupp
April 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Why don't you just switch to Metaciy Windows Manager before you boy play games? It's very easy to do witn Beryl Manager.

That idea works, but my boy is 3 years old. He knows how to find his games in the menu and start them, but there's no way he can right click on the Beryl icon and choose the correct window manager. So if I can get it to work with Compiz, why not?

Edit:

I forgot to mention that he often comes and plays games by himself. So that's why I need it to work without me being present to fix something first. And they say Linux is too hard for people.