PDA

View Full Version : If i bought a Macbook Pro should I forget about Ubuntu?

(chubbstar)
April 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I know I'm talking to a biased set of people but I've been mulling over a perpetual debate for nearly half a year now.... that being ...

should i use Ubuntu or OSX on my soon to purchased Macbook Pro?

I've already ruled out Xp and Vista (obviously) and now theres only one thing holding me back from buying a laptop should i buy a mac or a pc (asus probly)? whenever i tell my friends that i have strong intentions to buy a macbook pro and install ubuntu 100% of the time i get a crazy look followed by "thats stupid". but is it? i love ubuntu and i've been using it on my desktop for almost half a year now, about the same time i started thinking about getting a laptop.

so i guess the heart of my question is .... would i really be stupid to overlook OSX if i bought a macbook pro? should i just switch to OSX if i bought the mac? is it even possible to install ubuntu on a macbook pro? should i just not bother with the macbook pro and by a pc and just install ubuntu? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

i've been think about this for months now and just when i think ive decided i wavier. a lil informed advice would be helpful.

rufius
April 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
At the end of the day a laptop is a laptop and an operating system is an operating system. Its stupid that your friends can't understand that.

Yes you can install Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro. I have intentions of buying a MacBook this summer and installing Ubuntu. Try out OSX, see if you like it. Or even dual boot, there's no shame in that. I like Apple's hardware, they make good stuff, its durable, looks good, and lasts. When you pick up an Apple laptop and then pick up a PC laptop (with maybe the exception of IBM/Lenovo), the Apple feels a lot more solid. Thats why I want one, as well as I need a smaller laptop than my current Dell e1505.

If you want to install Linux on a laptop, why not. Pretty much every laptop comes preloaded with an OS, it just happens that Apple comes with OSX preinstalled instead of Windows. Like I said, at the end of the day a laptop is a laptop and an operating system is an operating system. Use what you like, not what people think you should be using. If you don't like OSX after you get the Apple, then throw Ubuntu on it. If you don't mind OSX, then leave it be.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

jariku
April 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing that the laptop would come with OS X? I'd set up a dual boot environment for OS X and Ubuntu. Since you're paying for the OS X, it'd be silly not to at least keep it handy if you ever need it.

Baladahn
April 13th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I just received my MacBook Pro 15.4" last week. It's the first Apple I've owned, actually.

I have quite a bit of experience with Unix and Linux, but I don't think it took much to get OSX and Kubuntu dual-booting (using 7.04, 64 bit). Video didn't work right away but was quickly remedied by downloading and compiling ATI's proprietary drivers. The backlight for the screen and keyboard didn't work, either, but both of these were resolved with pommed. Finally, as I have the new wireless card, madwifi drivers did not work but fortunately they have beta drivers up for the new revision of the card. After all is said and done, Kubuntu is running wonderfully (and Ubuntu would do the same) and my mouse is even better configured than in OSX, though a tad unresponsive in certain instances.

If you want to use Linux, I wouldn't let a MBP scare you off--for what I wanted it was one of, if not the most affordable offerings. You may want to consider other manufacturers, especially Lenovo, if you want a good accidental damage plan, however (not to mention higher resolution screen and faster hard drive offerings).

penman242
April 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Baladahn, Could you give a brief outline how you did that? For instance, were you able to resize your mac partition or did you have to reinstall the macos? I would really appreciate that. When I do searches about how to do it I find information but it is not clear if it is for the core 2 duo models, which obviously you must have since you just got it last week. Steve

slimdog360
April 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM
If you are happy with osx and it does everything you want then there is no reason for Ubuntu, unless you want to keep using it. Now that there is true freedom.

Baladahn
April 14th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Baladahn, Could you give a brief outline how you did that? For instance, were you able to resize your mac partition or did you have to reinstall the macos? I would really appreciate that. When I do searches about how to do it I find information but it is not clear if it is for the core 2 duo models, which obviously you must have since you just got it last week. Steve

I just used Boot Camp to resize the partition, then installed rEFIt.

AusIV4
April 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Why do you want a mac if not for OSX? The hardware is certainly pretty, but I think the main reason to get a Mac is for the OS. If you're planning on dual booting, go for it, but if you're in the market for a laptop to put Ubuntu on, I'd highly reccomend System76. I got a Gazelle value a couple of months ago, and it has been a great laptop.

If you have a solid reason to get MacBook, go for it, but if you're not going to use the OS, I'd recommend getting something else.

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Why do you want a mac if not for OSX? The hardware is certainly pretty, but I think the main reason to get a Mac is for the OS. If you're planning on dual booting, go for it, but if you're in the market for a laptop to put Ubuntu on, I'd highly reccomend System76. I got a Gazelle value a couple of months ago, and it has been a great laptop.

If you have a solid reason to get MacBook, go for it, but if you're not going to use the OS, I'd recommend getting something else.
He's in Canada, can't get a System76. chubbstar, if you can travel to the US for a few days to pick up a laptop, or have someone you know over here ship it to you, then I'd highly recommend a System76 laptop as well. But if you like Macs, then go ahead and dualboot on a macbook pro.

Unconscious
April 14th, 2007, 01:22 AM
One of my colleagues has a macbook pro with OSX/Ubuntu dual boot. IMHO: it's the best of both worlds. Unstoppable. :D

%hMa@?b<C
April 14th, 2007, 01:59 AM
One of my colleagues has a macbook pro with OSX/Ubuntu dual boot. IMHO: it's the best of both worlds. Unstoppable. :D

what world is OS X the best of?

maniacmusician
April 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM
lol! this is probably not the best thread for that sort of debate :)

zenwhen
April 14th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I have Ubuntu and OSX on my Macbook. It is wonderful.

bcmiller
April 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I would have thought that this question was ridiculous but seeing all of the Mac/Ubuntu dual booters I guess it's not.

It comes down to why you want to run Ubuntu. If you are thinking practically you would just use OSX since it has all of the UNIX like features that you want in a computer but the hardware is a perfect fit. The webcam and wireless etc... will all work out of the box...

If you just want to tinker or you feel you want to run OpenSource on principle I would look for a no OS laptop or find a way to buy from a linux installer like system76

Baladahn
April 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I would have thought that this question was ridiculous but seeing all of the Mac/Ubuntu dual booters I guess it's not.

It comes down to why you want to run Ubuntu. If you are thinking practically you would just use OSX since it has all of the UNIX like features that you want in a computer but the hardware is a perfect fit. The webcam and wireless etc... will all work out of the box...

If you just want to tinker or you feel you want to run OpenSource on principle I would look for a no OS laptop or find a way to buy from a linux installer like system76

If you want to tinker why would you buy from a place that will install the OS for you?

RAV TUX
April 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM
I know I'm talking to a biased set of people but I've been mulling over a perpetual debate for nearly half a year now.... that being ...

should i use Ubuntu or OSX on my soon to purchased Macbook Pro?

I've already ruled out Xp and Vista (obviously) and now theres only one thing holding me back from buying a laptop should i buy a mac or a pc (asus probly)? whenever i tell my friends that i have strong intentions to buy a macbook pro and install ubuntu 100% of the time i get a crazy look followed by "thats stupid". but is it? i love ubuntu and i've been using it on my desktop for almost half a year now, about the same time i started thinking about getting a laptop.

so i guess the heart of my question is .... would i really be stupid to overlook OSX if i bought a macbook pro? should i just switch to OSX if i bought the mac? is it even possible to install ubuntu on a macbook pro? should i just not bother with the macbook pro and by a pc and just install ubuntu? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

i've been think about this for months now and just when i think ive decided i wavier. a lil informed advice would be helpful.

Stick with OSX, if you can't stay away from Ubuntu there is probably a nice 10 step program locally you can attend.

:)z

RAV TUX
April 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Stick with OSX, if you can't stay away from Ubuntu there is probably a nice 10 step program locally you can attend.

:)zHonestly if I were you I would just buy your Macbook Pro from Terra Soft where they will load Yellow Dog Linux on it for you:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/e17/screenshots/ydl_ps3.jpg
What is Yellow Dog Linux?
An open source, Linux operating system for home, office, server, and cluster users. Built upon the Fedora Core, Terra Soft has since the spring of 1999 developed and maintained YDL for the Power architecture family of CPUs. This focus and dedication has lead to the world's leading Linux for Power OS. http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowdog/iso

Baladahn
April 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Honestly if I were you I would just buy your Macbook Pro from Terra Soft where they will load Yellow Dog Linux on it for you:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowdog/iso

Well, there's obviously at least two different modes of thought going on in this thread. I really expected more do-it-yourself types for being a Linux forum. I would really suggest just installing whatever distribution you want by yourself, however, as you'll eventually run into a need to do something yourself and it's better to get it done in 15 minutes of reading than to call tech support.

JLB
April 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
All Intel Macs ship with OSX only. Linux is not pre-installed.

From the Terrasoft Store site RE: Apple Intel hardware.

G Morgan
April 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I still find Macs to be overpriced here in the UK. My initial impression of the basic Macbook was that is was 512MB of RAM and about 100GB of HDD space below what I would expect at that price (£750). As it turns out I was wrong, I could meet those expectations for much less (£500) so overall I'd say the basic Macbook was overpriced by about £400 here in the UK. I never bothered comparing the MBP because I only wanted something I could carry around and code on. I have other machines for power (not that my laptop is under powered, it has a Core 2 Duo and 1GB of RAM so isn't a slouch but isn't a killer either).

I've been told that the hardware support for Macs can vary by quite a bit, YMMV.

I wouldn't buy one with the express purpose of running Linux on it. My intention would be to run OSX and maybe run a distro along side it. For this reason it was a no go for me since I prefer Linux to OSX.

kevinlyfellow
April 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
If your going 100% linux, you should consider a system76 darter
http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/1_70?osCsid=84f8a45e54c87dfb958564bd634d576b

If you have any questions, there is a forums here for the company
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158

(chubbstar)
April 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks alot for your feedback.

After reading everyones post i've decided more or less that the "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument makes sense to me. I do like the sleek, study feel of the MBPs and i will likely end up buying one of them as oppose to any other seeing as i may can try out OS X and decide if i like it before installing ubuntu and i can still use tons of open source software to keep that "open source principle" in OSX.

thanks again. now all i have to do is figure out if i should wait until leopards out to buy one. heh.

Quillz
April 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I have an iMac and really like OS X. I have, however, installed Ubuntu to a virtual machine (using Parallels Desktop.) That's the best way to go, in my opinion.

Ptero-4
April 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM
My opinion. Try to get to USA and get yourself a System76 laptop. But if it`s imposible for you to get there, go for the MBP, at least you`re buying a computer that have good quality and the warranty that you get a PC (read: a computer you can put linux in), which is something those ******* based OEM`s can`t say (they sell M$C`s, in which you can`t put linux).

Unconscious
May 4th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I recently discussed this, again, with my colleague, who has a MacBook pro which dual boots OSX and Ubuntu. He did mention that the one button mouse really sucks under Ubuntu.

ronocdh
May 4th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks alot for your feedback.

After reading everyones post i've decided more or less that the "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument makes sense to me. I do like the sleek, study feel of the MBPs and i will likely end up buying one of them as oppose to any other seeing as i may can try out OS X and decide if i like it before installing ubuntu and i can still use tons of open source software to keep that "open source principle" in OSX.

thanks again. now all i have to do is figure out if i should wait until leopards out to buy one. heh.
Check out OpenSource Mac (http://www.opensourcemac.org/); I've used it to deck out my OS X installation pretty darn well.

For the record, I triple boot with XP thrown in there for good measure. This is just "because it's there," though; I can't even remember the last time I used it!

Stop by the Apple-Intel forum sometime, this would've been the perfect question for it!

Macintosh Sauce
May 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
In my world. MUHAHAHA

jclmusic
May 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'm guessing that the laptop would come with OS X? I'd set up a dual boot environment for OS X and Ubuntu. Since you're paying for the OS X, it'd be silly not to at least keep it handy if you ever need it.

yes, well said.

timpino
May 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
If you get a MacBook Pro with OS X I personally see no reason for using Linux on it. I find that OS X has a sort of resemblance (sp?) with Linux and even more so with the BSD. But if you don't like it you always have the option. That's the great thing about Apple's computers you can have almost any OS you like on them :)