PDA

View Full Version : Programming languages in other languages ?

pirothezero
April 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I was in the shower a few days ago and I started wondering if people who speak languages other then English code in that same meta-language. No real reason to this thread other then to see if anyone has ever seen source code in another language. I don't mean just variable names I mean 'If's as cuando and 'for's for para in Spanish for example.

I've never seen it in practice or online so just curious if it exists.

ola
April 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hi! I have seen this for the little statements you can write in Excel (if becomes om (Swedish for if)) but other than that I have no other examples.

-Rick-
April 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Wikipedia is as usual a good reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Non-English-based_programming_languages

Frosty Cold Drink
April 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
This is actualy (fairly) easy to do (in theory). Keywords are keywords and who cares what they are.

To completely put down us Americans, its seems most other peoples speak multiple lanaguages better / more often than us. So, to completely overgeneralize, its easier for them to cope with english keywords than for us to cope with, say, french :)

There is some odd culture in science. A lot of the eairly computer work was done by english speakers, so a lot of the tecnical world is at least familiar with english. Biologists (and doctors) and some familarity with latin, wheter they recognize it or not.