PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ray & HD-DVD Codecs - When will we get 'em?

BarfBag
April 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Let's set aside the freedom issues regarding Blue Ray and HD-DVD for a moment.

If I build a Myth DVR, I'm going to want codecs for Blue Ray and HD-DVD. Not because I have an expensive HD TV. No, I have a very cheap TV. I just want the option to be there. Unless something better comes around, one of them is going to (eventually) become the standard.

From my understanding, "DVD Jon" was the one who opened the DVD door with Linux. Does that mean someone's going to have to crack it to get the codecs, or will companies jump on board and offer them? Do we already have them?

mstlyevil
April 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Let's set aside the freedom issues regarding Blue Ray and HD-DVD for a moment.

If I build a Myth DVR, I'm going to want codecs for Blue Ray and HD-DVD. Not because I have an expensive HD TV. No, I have a very cheap TV. I just want the option to be there. Unless something better comes around, one of them is going to (eventually) become the standard.

From my understanding, "DVD Jon" was the one who opened the DVD door with Linux. Does that mean someone's going to have to crack it to get the codecs, or will companies jump on board and offer them? Do we already have them?

Someone already has cracked it for Linux but it is very unstable right now. I can't remember the project name but I believe I read it on Digg or /. a couple of weeks back.

Brunellus
April 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm betting on never.