thingy
April 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Aww its only the 12th of April yet...

Fiesty isn't going to get released until the the 19th

Why must I wait? why...Why....WHY!!!

:)

Zdravko
April 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I feel the same way. I have downloaded the BETA version, but I don't have a CD to burn it. I can hardly wait! Maybe today, when I go to the university, I will buy a CD. :)

Fascination
April 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I feel the same way. I have downloaded the BETA version, but I don't have a CD to burn it. I can hardly wait! Maybe today, when I go to the university, I will buy a CD. :)

Considering the issues some of the Feisty testers are getting at the moment due to the daily updates, I would hold off unless you really plan to help test it and give decent feedback. :P

Zdravko
April 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Ok, I will wait until April, 19. :(

Fascination
April 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ok, I will wait until April, 19. :(

Aww, not trying to put you off the release or anything! Its just there is a lot of fine tuning going on at the moment, and you could end up with more of a headache than a bout of happiness depending on your system setup.
Ive got Feisty running on one wireless box, and after yesterday's updates its now unable to see the network card or sound card - not so much fun. :)

Zdravko
April 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I understand. :(

slimdog360
April 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
The 19th is shaping up good for me, I get my internet back to full speed and feisty.

happy-and-lost
April 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The beta wouldn't boot *cries*. I'm using a fully up to date Herd 5. I guess it's the same as the beta?

Zdravko
April 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I hope it is not the same!

Onyros
April 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I did a full upgrade from Edgy to Feisty last night, and I had a whole lot of tweaks done. I don't have TOO much software installed as I tend to use one app for each use (apart from browsers and text editors), even so the upgrade had to download 1GB of updates :)

Taking into account that this is a laptop, taking into account that I had already upgraded from Dapper to Edgy (and that didn't go that well, though, but I managed to repair it completely) and that I do test a lot of software, install and uninstall a lot of stuff (but always keep things tidy and clean)... the upgrade was a TOTAL success.

I hadn't expected it to go that well, really. Yes, it did have some issues, as one must always expect, but nothing worth of notice, though. Accessory things, mainly, that took me a few minutes to correct (or put back the way they were).

And then I got the chance to play around with HomeBank and can't recommend it enough.

So... if you know what you're doing, I don't think there's a major risk of breaking your system. I was especially surprised X didn't break, considering I have an ATi (and a Mobility Radeon for that matter) on my laptop, an X700 --> 3D acceleration through fglrx still isn't properly fixed, one has to use a patch in order for it to work.

So, all in all, congratulations to the Ubuntu devs, once again, for a 99% painless upgrade, I'm a happy camper :D

ThrobbingBrain66
April 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM
The beta wouldn't boot *cries*. I'm using a fully up to date Herd 5. I guess it's the same as the beta?

As long as you're completely up-to-date, you have the latest version (beta/RC/whatever)

mips
April 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Just get the latest daily build and be done with it.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/