PDA

View Full Version : My little Linux Rants:

jdhore
April 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Here's the first one i was about to post in a reply, but i thought this was a better venue (i'll be replying and posting the 2nd one as soon as i can find it on my HD):

When i was a SuSe 8/9.1/Red Hat 8 user, i was a total noob, plus there weren't too many good resources on the web for linux help so if i overwrote lilo or messed up X and was dropped to commandline on boot, i had to go through the painful 4-5 hour install to get things back to working...that and being stuck with crappy KDE back when Gnome sucked and the fact of i couldn't find any good alternatives to Windows apps or nano or decent package management turned me off of linux for a few years till i was told about Debian, nano, k3b, apt and the "new Gnome"... (if you're reading this, thanks again SquareGuy) ...well this has turned into too much of a rant.

jdhore
April 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
This i posted a few (about 3 months ago to be exact) months ago in response to a blog entry called Linux Whines...it's not perfectly suited to be on it's own, but here it is:

Personally...i use Ubuntu 7.04 and Debian Etch/Testing/4.0 as my full-time OS's...most of the time i'm on my Toshiba laptop (all my desktops are custom build so i'm not bringing them into the equation), but i have to say, i've had very few if really any issues. I run dual-monitor on Nvidia and it works beautifully and it's easy to setup with Twinview and the only real issue (other than worry about editing a file and messing my system up) i've had in the past few weeks is the fact of by default, the Nvidia 9xxx series drivers a lot of distros use don't like my laptop's internal LCD. I can turn off the external CRT with just adding a simple line to my xorg.conf and restarting X or turn on dualmonitor by adding 3 lines and restarting X. Really, i usually get freaked out if something messes up the slightest bit on Linux, but now i don't, now if X breaks, i'm not like "X BROKE!!! CODE RED! EMERGENCY! I'M SCREWED", i'm just like "damn...X Broke...gotta look at the logs and fix something" the best and probably the only way to start with linux is to use it, so install it, play with minor confs, break stuff, learn how to fix it...that's how you learn...and you may whine that your hardware isn't supported and stuff like that, but it is...we're all just too used to Windows where if something's not supported, you just put in the driver CD and hit next a few times...In Linux, your hardware is probably more supported, it just takes a little more knowledge about what you've got, linux knowledge and an extra 5 minutes...and you learn new things in the process...i'm gonna shut up now cuz now this comment is getting a bit ranty, but most people give up on Linux cuz they want an OS that just works, that they don't have to take the time to get working perfectly...here's my final...thing: I've been running only linux for close to 2 weeks now on 7 out of the 10 computers in my house and for at least the past week, they've all been working beautifully, the only reason stuff doesn't work or breaks is because i choose to mess with it
(to get AIGLX/Beryl working on my ancient video card, to get NTFS-3G to be a little nicer to me, to get AAC support for the tracks on my iPod)...also, if you thought Linux was going to work like Windows where you rarely have issues right after install and everything will work perfectly, you're wrong, if you do choose not to dual-boot you will have to make sacrifices (an example, i used to use AutoGK to reencode episodes of the IPTV show i work on to YouTube format...i can't do that now easily on Ubuntu), but in the end, you get a much better result for many reasons.

FoolsGold
April 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM

I agree with whatever was typed there.