PDA

View Full Version : Life after Gentoo...

Ateo
April 12th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Hi.

I'm a Gentoo user and I like Ubuntu.. I likes it a lot.

I didn't want to trouble-shoot my 'baselayout' upgrade this past weekend that ended up breaking my wireless. Maybe baselayout didn't break it, but something did and I just don't care anymore. I guess I'm jaded with Gentoo. I really don't like the fact that I must put my laptop into 'unstable' mode just to have the most current version of Gnome/KDE.

Ubuntu is impressive. 7.04_beta + my HP DV5000 + 30 minute install = me very happy. Autofs gave me a little issue but that was completely solved after some forum hopping and a quick install with apt-get or whatever the package manager is called.. hehe.

The installation process leaves nothing to be desired. It's all there in 7 easy steps. After my install, I entered my WEP for my wireless into the little Gnome wireless panel thingy, connected, installed a few programs and worked (meaning, I was able to work and be productive). Wow. Apt-get is as easy as portage, and quicker (yea yea yea, i know the reason).

I think from this day forth, it's Ubuntu on my laptops. I'll be throwing Ubuntu server on a development box here in the next week or so... If that works out, hmmm... who knows.. But I do have to keep in mind that of all the gentoo servers I am responsible for, all are running stable software (x86) and none of them have ever failed due to software issues.

Keep up the hard work devs!! Thank you!!

Quillz
April 12th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I've used Gentoo myself, and I also prefer the ease of use that Ubuntu offers.

TravisNewman
April 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I've been there. Up until Sept. 2004, I was a Gentoo user myself. Then I switched to Ubuntu (it was still in the pre-beta stages of it's first release at the time). I've used a lot since, but nothing feels like home like Ubuntu.

jdhore
April 12th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hi.

I'm a Gentoo user and I like Ubuntu.. I likes it a lot.

I didn't want to trouble-shoot my 'baselayout' upgrade this past weekend that ended up breaking my wireless. Maybe baselayout didn't break it, but something did and I just don't care anymore. I guess I'm jaded with Gentoo. I really don't like the fact that I must put my laptop into 'unstable' mode just to have the most current version of Gnome/KDE.

Ubuntu is impressive. 7.04_beta + my HP DV5000 + 30 minute install = me very happy. Autofs gave me a little issue but that was completely solved after some forum hopping and a quick install with apt-get or whatever the package manager is called.. hehe.

The installation process leaves nothing to be desired. It's all there in 7 easy steps. After my install, I entered my WEP for my wireless into the little Gnome wireless panel thingy, connected, installed a few programs and worked (meaning, I was able to work and be productive). Wow. Apt-get is as easy as portage, and quicker (yea yea yea, i know the reason).

I think from this day forth, it's Ubuntu on my laptops. I'll be throwing Ubuntu server on a development box here in the next week or so... If that works out, hmmm... who knows.. But I do have to keep in mind that of all the gentoo servers I am responsible for, all are running stable software (x86) and none of them have ever failed due to software issues.

Keep up the hard work devs!! Thank you!!

i certainly know how you feel...i worked on getting Gentoo installed on my system today to learn linux a bit better and try something new...i spent over 3-4 hours setting it up so far and i STILL don't even have X...i love the fact that it's customizable, but i hate the fact that it's a lot easier to mess up than Debian or more refined distros and the fact of how bass-ackward and unclear the USE flags are. my "big plan" for tomorrow is getting X and Gnome running and we'll see how it goes from there when i'm at a semi-Ubuntu-like install

tbroderick
April 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
The general USE flags are pretty straight forward.

Raffo
April 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I've tried a lot of distros after the format of my gentoo partition. I'm still trying to find the perfect distro (for me), but I'm still wandering... Ubuntu is quite the best solution, I'm going to reinstall it when feisty will be released. Anyway, Gentoo is my first linux love and even if I haven't got the time to compile everything, I will love it forever :)

thisllub
April 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I am looking forward to it within the next few weeks.

After 3 months of Sabayon (Gentoo wouldn't install, took six hours to fail and wouldn't tell me why) I have basically had enough.

I would perservere with it but I have too much to do to spend my time learning what seems to be an overly complex method for keeping a system updated.

G Morgan
April 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
You don't have to mark keywords across the whole distro for Gentoo. You can mark the individual package as ~x86 and can even select exact versions.

Ateo
April 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I don't think I'll switch completely, at least not on the servers. Source based installs are important for me due to the flexibility it provides. I prefer to be able to compile say Postfix with ONLY PostgreSQL support and not MySQL. I'm sure I can find patched binaries out there but I find it much easier to set up my USE flags and emerge the package.

I have a friend who uses strictly Debian and it took him nearly a week to find a patched version of courier-imap that had ssl support build in already. It might just have been him but that issue would not arise on a source based platform.

Anyways, I still think Ubuntu for the desktop is superior. Even the infamous ArchLinux can't compare.