PDA

View Full Version : Starting Linux GUIs in C

DivineOmega
April 12th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have no experience of programming GUIs in any other language than Java. If I wanted to start programming GUIs in C, where would I start?

I assume (correct me if I'm wrong), that there is no universal multiplatform code for GUIs due to a lack of a VM. I was considering starting to learn using GTK, as I know programs such as GAIM use GTK+ and they are ported to Windows.

Note that I have knowledge is C, C++, Java and Visual Basic (not that it is useful in this case, as it is Windows only :P).

Any recommended books or online tutorials for Linux GUI beginners?

jmc1024
April 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
It sounds like you might be interested in a cross platform tool kit. There
are lots of them written in C++. My perfered is wxWindows as it doesn't
require me to learn all the new C++isms.
Mark

I have no experience of programming GUIs in any other language than Java. If I wanted to start programming GUIs in C, where would I start?

I assume (correct me if I'm wrong), that there is no universal multiplatform code for GUIs due to a lack of a VM. I was considering starting to learn using GTK, as I know programs such as GAIM use GTK+ and they are ported to Windows.

Note that I have knowledge is C, C++, Java and Visual Basic (not that it is useful in this case, as it is Windows only :P).

Any recommended books or online tutorials for Linux GUI beginners?

j_g
April 12th, 2007, 05:51 AM
GTK supports programming in C. The other toolkits use C++ objects, so aren't appropriate for C.

DivineOmega
April 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hey all. Thanks for your replies.

I think I'm going to work my way through the official GTK tutorial I have found at http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/.