PDA

View Full Version : Why so many CD's?

idontknow9999
April 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/iso/

It shows 6 CD's for a single OS?

Also, how much work is it to get a 32bit application to work on 64bit OS?

Ptero-4
April 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
RPM distros have a very crappy package management system, and to compensate that, the distro makers cram all the packages in the installer so you don`t have to get them off the net. Resulting in a big amount of CD images.

igknighted
April 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
RPM distros have a very crappy package management system, and to compensate that, the distro makers cram all the packages in the installer so you don`t have to get them off the net. Resulting in a big amount of CD images.

And you honestly believe this? The answer is choice. Distro's like Fedora let you choose a lot about your install, including what DE you want. Imagine the set of Ubuntu disks (K/X/Ubuntu + server), and then a non-free disk as well. Many people are not blessed with high speed internet. Imagine trying to get lots of apps you want that aren't in the default install? Thankfully, they are probably on the install disk set. The non-free disk allows you to install proprietary stuff as well, if you choose. Saves setup later.

The fact is Fedora has a far more advanced package management tool (yum) than Ubuntu (apt). Yum is not as fast, this is true, but you get many more options and settings for the installer. The rumors of its "poor dependency handling" are a myth... it is left over from a time (before .deb existed mind you) when dependencies were a big problem. Debian packages escape that label because around the time they showed up package management as a whole was better. It is perpetuated because there are many 3rd party repo's to choose from in Fedora. If you follow instruction and only add one (or better yet don't use any, except to install from when absolutely needed) this won't be an issue. Many don't follow this advice, and blame RPM incorrectly. It's like trevino's repo messing stuff up and blaming .deb packages in general.

Back on topic, its a matter of choice. Fedora comes in a multi-cd set or a DVD if you want everything. There is also a single CD liveCD which is installable. So you have a choice, you are not required to download many CDs. Also, only the first 3 cds are required for a desktop install in the full set. The others have mainly extra stuff for development and servers.

EDIT: Links to Live CDs:
Fedora 7 Test3 (KDE and gnome live CDs)
http://fedora.secsup.org/core/test/6.92/Live/i386/

Fedora Core 6 Live CD (gnome only)
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/projects/live/FC-6-i386-livecd-1.iso

rai4shu2
April 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Most 32-bit apps will work fine in 64-bit mode as long as they don't make some silly mistakes with int types and such.

idontknow9999
April 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Were is this "DVD".... There no way I want 5 disc.... waste of money, time and space...

rai4shu2
April 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
The Spins are the way to go IMO:

http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/spins

Jimmy_r
April 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Also, only the first 3 cds are required for a desktop install in the full set.

Only if you are a native english speaker.

When I tried FC6, I downloaded discs 1-3.
Then the installer told me it needed disc 4 and 5 also.
When I had those and went through the installation, I discovered that it only needed disc 4 for the swedish translations and disc 5 for the swedish dictionary...
At least they could have both translations and dictionary for the same language on the same cd...

idontknow9999
April 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
The Spins are the way to go IMO:

http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/spins

Id rather not download using torrents...

Only if you are a native english speaker.

When I tried FC6, I downloaded discs 1-3.
Then the installer told me it needed disc 4 and 5 also.
When I had those and went through the installation, I discovered that it only needed disc 4 for the swedish translations and disc 5 for the swedish dictionary...
At least they could have both translations and dictionary for the same language on the same cd...

Well three CD's is still two CD's to many anyway...

FuturePilot
April 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I wish they would have said on their website that for a basic desktop I would have only needed to first 2 CDs. I just like wasted 5 other CDs.:(

igknighted
April 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I wish they would have said on their website that for a basic desktop I would have only needed to first 2 CDs. I just like wasted 5 other CDs.:(

You only need one if you get the live CD... gnome or KDE in the latest F7 test release, but only gnome for FC6.

It does say somewhere on the site that you only need the first few disks for most installs, and a quick check on the forum would confirm. I go with the DVD because I have superfluous blank DVDs lying around, and CDs are scarce for me :)

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2007, 03:03 AM
For me it's the opposite. I have tons of CDs around and only a few DVDs. But my laptop's CD drive doesn't like DVDs anymore. So I have to use CDs.

darkstarubutu
April 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
its a couple of CDs or 1 DVD
i prefer that to 1 CD and then downloading files off the net multiple times everytime i do an installation

Also the installation has all three desktop enviroments Gnome KDE and XFCE and you can choose on login works flawlessly

Fundi
May 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
The fact is Fedora has a far more advanced package management tool (yum) than Ubuntu (apt). Yum is not as fast, this is true, but you get many more options and settings for the installer...]

I've used both apt and yum and i'll think you'll find apt it slightly better but a little bit harder to use.