PDA

View Full Version : Bright future for KDE 3.5

bored2k
June 10th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Some of you have probably read already 3.5 Observations (http://process-of-elimination.net/?q=kde_3_5_observations), but I can only say I am glad Konqueror is getting Adblock, wich is something everyone can't let go off once they try, making the native Konqueror even better for everyone trying to get away from Firefox. It's also good to see KDE is taking its own features and mixing them with the ones they liked from GNOME (applet menu, etc). I just hope they focus on performance for their upcoming versions.

Ironi
June 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I am glad Konqueror is getting Adblock
Rather, it's getting something like adblock. Looks like it's just going to be shipped with the browser (omg bloat) and it won't have separate configuration (omg not an extension, omg a zillion categories in the main config dialog).

I'll still prefer Firefox.

It's also good to see KDE is taking its own features and mixing them with the ones they liked from GNOME
Yeah, I guess... although if GNOME and KDE developers keep copying features from the other, then people might as well just start work on Knome.

I just hope they focus on performance for their upcoming versions.
I don't know why so many people complain about speed; it's fine for me. Of course, it's always possible that someone will do a benchmark proving that people can e.g. gain 10fps in Gnomovision 5000 when it's run under fvwm2 instead of kwin (due to KDE's overhead).

Burgundavia
June 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Actually, shipping adblock by default is probably one of the smartest thing they could do. I wish it was shipped by default in FF. For that, there are a few features that almost everybody installs that probably should be shipped by default as well.

Corey

christooss
June 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Actually, shipping adblock by default is probably one of the smartest thing they could do. I wish it was shipped by default in FF. For that, there are a few features that almost everybody installs that probably should be shipped by default as well.

Corey
Now thats a smart idea.

allforcarrie
June 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Now thats a smart idea.

YES!

christooss
June 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Does any one knows when KDE 3.5 will be relesed?

asimon
June 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Does any one knows when KDE 3.5 will be relesed?
According to Stephan Kulow it is targetted for October 2005. But 3.5 is not a time-based release and the date is not fixed.

Ironi
June 11th, 2005, 12:29 AM

Corey
Indeed. Still, it could be "extensionized" so that it won't add Yet Another Category to the main configuration dialog (whither the complaints about "omg too many options!!1" ? ;)). It'd be nice to have a separate config system for extensions, ala Firefox.